Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi All

I've been using Ponds cold cream at night to remove makeup. I always remove it with cotton pads and follow with witchhazel. I don't find it too greasy and I have oily skin. I tried it once before with a washcloth and it was really nasty. I thought back to when my skin was th best (people always commented on it) and it was when I used The Body shop almond oil cleanser followed by Elderberry toner and Ponds vanishing cream- My skin obviously responds well to oil based cleansers and cotton pads. I use Pears soap in the morning and SPF 50.

I used to use MD formulation glycloic acid (AHA) range-the reason fo my change of skincare routine was:
1. Too expensive- £33.00 for the cleanser,£42.00 for the moisturiser- and I used ALOT of thier products
2. I got bored with the routine and stopped following all the steps
3. The acid made my skin very skin and eaily damaged- and the damage would cause scabs, sore patches and big red dry patches
4. My skin healed slower
5. It has made my skin VERY photosensitive- instead of evening out tone I now have sunpots and freckles which I am trying to lighten and have to be VERY VERY dilligent with the SPF from now on-for a good few years.

I now look forward to sitting at my dressing table and removing my make-up at night now. I have invested in a range of really nice blue and clear glass bottles from an aromatherapy store to decant all my products into- they look so pretty and they were very inexpensive- e.g. 40p-1.20 each. I got them from www.naturallythinking.com.

MissHannah

One Too Many
The Boots Original Formula Rose Cold Cream seems to be discontinued. I've been to 4 different stores and looked on their website but there is no sign of it. Gutted. I love that stuff.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I bought some Boots origional the other day to compare it to ponds. I didn't realise it was scented with 'rose geranium'. I don't think geranium actually smells like rose and I don't like it (geranium that is, not rose)- so I'm just using it up for now- then it's back to ponds.

Off-topic
I got some ponds vanishing cream the other day. Its a wonderful cream but i was disponted that they changed the scent from about 10 years ago as i used to love the smell of it. (the product is just as good though- might be discontinued though- I got mine off ebay)

Decayla

New in Town
Cold Cream

Rosebud said:
I love the Boots Traditional Range too especially the cold cream!!!

I have found the best way to use it is to put on lots, leave for about a minute and then remove with a hand hot wet muslin cloth. Then soak the muslim cloth in cold water and rinse again, very refreshing !!!

Yes! I love Boots! It has been around for 160 yrs! The products come in vintage style reusable glass containers.

51jmWc0UVsL__AA260_.jpg

http://www.us.boots.com/BrandOriginal.aspx

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
ohhhh- that one. I got the Boots tradtional one in the cream tub.

Yes- the origional formula range has now been discountinued. There are bits and peices of the range on sale at my local boots- but again most products are fragranced with geranium- which to me, not to be inpolite, reminds me of the smell of mould or damp mouldy soil.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Tishkaminx said:
I bought some Boots origional the other day to compare it to ponds. I didn't realise it was scented with 'rose geranium'. I don't think geranium actually smells like rose and I don't like it (geranium that is, not rose)- so I'm just using it up for now- then it's back to ponds.

Off-topic
I got some ponds vanishing cream the other day. Its a wonderful cream but i was disponted that they changed the scent from about 10 years ago as i used to love the smell of it. (the product is just as good though- might be discontinued though- I got mine off ebay)

I got the Boots 'traditional skin care' one, which sadly doesn't smell of rose geranium! As I say, it smells of zinc & castor oil cream. It was only about £2.50 though, and it's nice enough to put on.

I love my Boots Original Beauty Formula vanishing cream, though. It's rose scented and feels fantastic on my skin.

MissHannah

One Too Many
The Boots Original Formula Rose Cold Cream has been discontinued due to poor sales. I'd had trouble getting hold of it so I contacted them and they emailed me back today saying it was all gone - there isn't even any in their warehouse. :cry:

The Boots Traditional Skin Care one is nowhere near as good unfortunately.

Decayla

New in Town
Cold Cream

Oh really? Wow I had no idea as they still sell it at Target. I must be the only one who likes it lol. Wow after 160 yrs it must be bad if they have discontinued it. Maybe it's time to finally change the formula and come out with a better one.

MissHannah

One Too Many
They only brought it out about 18 months ago - they make out it's a product they've always done but it's actually a new product based on an old recipe. That whole range was a new thing. Hopefully, stocks in the US will last a bit longer than over here - stock up while you can!

Retro Chick

New in Town
Have they discontinued the whole Boots Original Formula range or just the Cold Cream?

I tried the cold cream, but it made my skin tingle unpleasantly, I don't know if it was the rose oil? I went straight back to Ponds. I love the vanishing cream and the toner from that range though so I hope it's not the whole lot!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I don't know - I only asked them about the cold cream. They reply pretty promptly if you email them through their site though.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I don't mind the smell of it either, but it isn't as thick a consistency as the O.F. Rose one, which also smells lovely (as you would imagine!).

Retro Chick

New in Town
I was going to try the traditional formula Boots one, but I didn't because I noticed that water was higher up the ingredients list than on Ponds, I like the thick consistency of Ponds.

It is far cheaper though, I'm sure I'll try it eventually! Last time I bought Ponds there was a £1 off voucher on the top of the box as they are changing the packaging so I guess I'll keep buying Ponds till they disappear!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I was wondering/ hoping.. does anyone have a spare empty jar of Boots origional coldcream that they could part with. i can't find it anywhere and the jar is so darn cute. I am willing to part with cash...

Thanks

Trish

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
So I've been using cold cream cleanser, toner (witchhazel, peroxide or rosewater depending upon how my skin is behaving) in the evenings and coal tar soap (Pears) with ponds vanishing cream in the morning ....and the results are really good. I haven't had such clear skin in years- my blackheads on my chin are far far few and my skin is really even and soft. So I'd say this routine definaly works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy