Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I do Annie, i just put some on a cotton wool ball, one for each eye, if i haven't taken my contacts out, and it takes off eye makeup a treat, although i'm careful not to get it in my eyes, you only do that once! x

D

Deleted member 12480

ah right, okay. I'm not wearing makeup today, but I can't wait to try it!

Thanks for your help, it never occurred to me to use a cotton ball!

xxx

Gogo

New in Town
Hi ladies,

Mind if I join in? I just wanted to relate my experiences of the cold cream and witch hazel 'diet', because I've been struggling with my skin for months. I don't know quite why but in the last six months I developed a really spotty forehead, particularly at certain times of the month, and nothing seemed to help.

Until I read this thread... and after four weeks with the new routine I am quite amazed at the effect it's had, which is way beyond anything I'd dared to hope for. The witch hazel in particular seems to be so effective at calming my skin - I'm using it twice a day - and the cold cream, which I use at night, is just divine.

So anyway, I'd just like to say thank you ladies for the astonishingly good advice! It's given me such a boost to have clear skin at last.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Another way that I find really nice and refreshing with cold cream is to splodge a load on all over your face, rubbing into the eye area for a bit longer if you have eyeliner etc. then soak a flannel/face cloth in hot water, wring it out until it's just damp them wipe all the cream off with the flannel.

I always feel really fresh and clean after it.

Laura

Drappa

One Too Many
Top Tip: Do not purchase fancy French cold cream in a slim blue and white tube. You might confuse it with toothpaste and not notice, until your face starts burning and smells a lot like spearmint.

Not that this happened to me, it was a friend...;)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
deleteduser said:
Ladies!

I was wondering, can you use cold cream to take off your eyeliner/mascara,

I suppose you could use cotton if you want to be neat ;) Honestly, I just use my fingers to smear a layer of cold cream onto each eye, massage it a little, then rinse thoroughly with a washcloth. You'll get serious raccoon eyes for a moment, but it rinses right off.

I use cold cream like makeup remover on a Q-tip, too, as an "eraser" while I'm putting on my face in the morning.

MysteriousRed

New in Town
I massage mine all over my face, wipe off with warm water and a rag. Then, to make sure I don't have any remaining mascara, I repeat the step again.

Quick question; Who else likes to keep cold cream in the fridge for a quick refresh at the end of the day?

RosebudMarie

New in Town
Ok my skin isn't dry unless just getting out of the shower. In face, my skin breaks out in horrible acne if I use any soap on it other than Grampa's Pine Tar Soap. Yes, it smells like bacon. No, I don't care since it clears up my acne in a flash!

However, I use it in the shower and was thinking of having some nice cleanser on my vanity with some pretty face cloths. I do use Witch Hazel occasionally too. (mine is mixed with rosewater)

A note on witch hazel - you have to watch the brand. Drugstore kinds are partly alcohol and overprocessed. The kind I buy I get at the health food store and it's distilled naturally so the natural tannins are still there.

Anyway...will cold cream make my face break out? I do have Noxema in my bathroom cabinet... I get horrible oily pimples, not dense blackheads, but my skin in general doesn't tend to be oily. They're more frequent during 'that time of month'.

Sorry if this is TMI...

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
RosebudMarie said:
Ok my skin isn't dry unless just getting out of the shower. In face, my skin breaks out in horrible acne if I use any soap on it other than Grampa's Pine Tar Soap. Yes, it smells like bacon. No, I don't care since it clears up my acne in a flash!

However, I use it in the shower and was thinking of having some nice cleanser on my vanity with some pretty face cloths. I do use Witch Hazel occasionally too. (mine is mixed with rosewater)

A note on witch hazel - you have to watch the brand. Drugstore kinds are partly alcohol and overprocessed. The kind I buy I get at the health food store and it's distilled naturally so the natural tannins are still there.

Anyway...will cold cream make my face break out? I do have Noxema in my bathroom cabinet... I get horrible oily pimples, not dense blackheads, but my skin in general doesn't tend to be oily. They're more frequent during 'that time of month'.

Sorry if this is TMI...

I have oily and acne prone skin as well, yet I truly believe cold cream has helped clear my complexion. It's really deep-cleaning; I thoroughly massage it onto my face's "t zone", and it does a good job of cleaning out my pores. I also think it's helped even my skin tone and it's very moisturizing. Just as an aside, I've had great luck fighting my acne with diluted Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps; it can be a little drying, but it really helps keep my face un-oily.

I agree about watching your witch hazels, too. I use Humphrey's in the blue bottle (alcohol-free and scented with jasmine, yum):
http://www.humphreysusa.com/skin-toner-alcoholfree.htm
It's not cheap, but it's a much nicer experience than the drugstore kind, which can sting!

RosebudMarie

New in Town
Thanks Neighbor! (I'm probably not far from you..)

i've got Noxema in my cabinet so I'll use that up first before switching to regular cold cream, I think. I also need to find some cute facecloths.

Tonight I cleansed with noxema, then rinsed it off with the witch hazel. We'll see how that goes.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
So, i 've been using cold cream and witchhazel each night to cleanse and I love it it feels so nice and glamerous - BUT I went to get a new foundation the other day and the pores at the sides of my nose on my cheeks have become so stretched! I recall from beauty books to avoid heavy creams and wiping hard on the skin because that causes stretched out pores. I may try it with a damp cotton pad- but the reality of it is that I may have to give it up altogether.

Added to that I found that my beloved Pears soap is staining everything orange- that they have changed the formula since moving manufacture to India have added all sorts of nasties, perfume and colouring.

Next- i found that my tarditional oil of olay moisturiser is bringing me out in tiny blister like spots which are filled with a milky fluid. Yuck.

Finally , i replaced my Palmers coco butter with Nivea as i went off the fake vanilla smell and the orange dyes- but now i'm hating the lemon scent of the nivea!

So it's back to the drawign board- and I have a whole stock of back-up products to get though- as i always have stocks of stuff I like .

I have recently replaced MAC with illamsqua and have two whole kits of identical MAC products to use up- which I doubt I'd ever get through in a lifetime!

I'm checking out Roche-Posey products at Boots as they are petroleum and paraben free, unscented and un coloured and made for combination skin- and are curently on 3 for 2 offer.

~Kate~

New in Town
I have a mild chemical sensitivity so I am very limited in what skincare products I can use. I tried the cold-cream/witch hazel method for a while but I ended up breaking out more than normal.

I make my own cold cream and have found that although I can't use it everyday it works wonders if I use it once or twice a week before a facemask. My current method involves applying a layer of cold cream and letting it sit on my skin for about 10-20 minutes. Then I wipe it off with a tissue and apply a layer of cinnamon honey to my face for another 10-20 minutes. It works wonders!

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Ladies, thanks to you I've started using Pond's Cold Cream - wonderful stuff for my sensitive, oily skin. It's great stuff! :)

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
I just bought some cold cream from Cataphract's Shop on etsy. I really like the stuff! She strives to keep unnecessary ingredients and harmful chemicals out of everything she makes and has no fillers, synthetic fragrances or preservatives which I LOVE! Plus it smells GREAT!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I just bought some cold cream from Cataphract's Shop on etsy. I really like the stuff! She strives to keep unnecessary ingredients and harmful chemicals out of everything she makes and has no fillers, synthetic fragrances or preservatives which I LOVE! Plus it smells GREAT!
I was thinking of trying hers but have also tried my hand at making my own its not that hard or expensive.

crwritt

One Too Many
Ladies, thanks to you I've started using Pond's Cold Cream - wonderful stuff for my sensitive, oily skin. It's great stuff! :)

My Grandmother swore by Pond's cold cream. As far as I recall, she used Ponds, Coty Airspun powder, and a little lipstick,
can't recall what kind, but she only had the local drugstore to shop for those things.
When she was in "Normal School", what they called Teaching School in those days, around 1919-1920, she was asked to be a "model" to demonstrate Pond's cold cream. She sat through a session where a handsome young man demonstrated the
product on her. I asked her if they took pictures or pubilscised it, she said no, it was very private. I think this was a marketing ploy, but it had the effect of making her a lifetime customer.

I have not tried the Pond's or the Coty. Some day I might. These days I like Mario Badescu.
http://www.mariobadescu.com/Skin-Care
I have tons of artisanal mineral powders, so I'm set for years as far as makeup goes, I just don't use it very often.

Last edited:

Gigit

New in Town
My Grandmother swore by Pond's cold cream. As far as I recall, she used Ponds, Coty Airspun powder, and a little lipstick,
can't recall what kind, but she only had the local drugstore to shop for those things.
When she was in "Normal School", what they called Teaching School in those days, around 1019-1920, she was asked to be a "model" to demonstrate Pond's cold cream. She sat through a session where a handsome young man demonstrated the
product on her. I asked her if they took pictures or pubilscised it, she said no, it was very private. I think this was a marketing ploy, but it had the effect of making her a lifetime customer.

I have not tried the Pond's or the Coty. Some day I might. These days I like Mario Badescu.
http://www.mariobadescu.com/Skin-Care
I have tons of artisanal mineral powders, so I'm set for years as far as makeup goes, I just don't use it very often.

The Coty powder is to die for, they used to sell it back at the Walmart where I lived in Florida. Since my move to Ontario, I've yet to find it, which is a shame. Best facial powder I've ever used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy