Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Jenautica

Familiar Face
RitaHayworth said:
OMG! My nose, with the OCM was flaky too!! I thought maybe the ratio was not right and perhaps I needed some more olive oil.

I had this issue too. I took out the castor oil completely and only did OCM at night. That seemed to equalize things.

I've stuck to using cold cream on my eyes to get off stubborn mascara stains. The other night, I was having one of my mad scientist moments and decided to slather my feet in the pink Jergens cold cream. Then I popped them into plastic zippie bags and dropped them into a pan of hot water. After a good hot soak, I massaged in the cream, wiped off the excess, then wore cotton socks to bed. The next morning, my nasty flaky heels were all gone! :eek:

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I take my BabyFace cleanser bar from Lush on flights with me. Being solid it doesn't count in any restrictions, but I find it's really similar to cold cream in the way it feels on and afterwards.

Fleur,

I absolutley love the babyface cleanser from lush, in my opinion it works the exact same as any other cc except for being in a solid form, but it glides so easy on the face. It's a bit pricey for $9.35 for 1.2oz. but it lasts, and is a wonderful alternative to regular cold cream as it has no mineral oil. As soon as I use up my ponds I am going to switch back to it. Just be careful, you might have to store it in the fridge or somewhere cool as my last one melted in the medicine cabinet last summer(it was really hot) :( , at least I had it in it's own bag :p

heres the link: http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/274?expand=FacialCare
2364507249_ef1f95b2c5_o.jpg

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Rockapin-up said:
Fleur,

I absolutley love the babyface cleanser from lush, in my opinion it works the exact same as any other cc except for being in a solid form, but it glides so easy on the face. It's a bit pricey for $9.35 for 1.2oz. but it lasts, and is a wonderful alternative to regular cold cream as it has no mineral oil. As soon as I use up my ponds I am going to switch back to it. Just be careful, you might have to store it in the fridge or somewhere cool as my last one melted in the medicine cabinet last summer(it was really hot) :( , at least I had it in it's own bag :p

Mmm, favorite! Listen to her. ;) :p

Blondie

Practically Family
Rockapin-up said:
Fleur,

Lush sells little tins to keep it in,
I love babyface cleanser too

ginny

Familiar Face
That Lush bar sounds cool, and quite easy to make! I have some soap molds in the shapes of sunny faces, but don't make soap anymore (loved making it, can't use it!) so I may just drag out some of my butters and oils and whip up a Lush-like bar cleanser!
I tried Pond's for awhile, but I just couldn't get used to the fragrance. I am going to head to Sally's to see if they carry the Queen Helene cold cream, and give that one a try. I've heard very good things about it.
All this talk of skin clearing up on the CC routine has me sucked in. I am sick of spending 20 minutes every morning with my concealer. :( Would love a 10-15 makeup routine!

PS, I've made my own oil cleansers in the past, too, and there's a great little ingredient you can add to oils (maybe even mix it into your Pond's CC) that will make it water-rinsable. The brand name is Cromollient SCE and you can get some here. You add 5% (drier skin) to 10% (oilier skin) and your oils or cream/lotion cleansers will become water-soluble! I never tried adding it to the Pond's, don't know why I didn't think of trying that.

ginny

Familiar Face
Well, I bought some of the Queen Helene last night, but couldn't find the Thayer's Rose and Glycerin toner, might make my own.
The QHCC smells just like orange blossoms, which I love! I massaged it on in the shower, wiped off with a warm wet washcloth. Then, since I had no rosewater toner, I used my Avene Micellar cleanser (a watery, gentle, toner-like cleanser) to remove residue with a cotton ball.
I applied my usual Retin A gel afterwards. Usually, once it dries, my face gets tight and dry, I have to apply some moisturizer. This time, it did not. My face stayed soft and comfortable.
I didn't use it again this morning, I usually just splash with warm water in the a.m.
This may be a winner! I'll keep using it to see how it goes.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have wasted so much money on pricey cleansers and moisturizers that always cause either a breakout or a rash.Since i started using Pond's cold cream and lotion twice a day,(on the advice of my mother) my skin is soft and clear. Love it.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
OK so it seems I'm one of the very few ladies who doesn't get on with cold cream! I've been using this method (Ponds cold cream & witch hazel) for about 3 months now and my spots were much more frequent than when I was using Clinique. About 2 weeks ago I decided to try the Boots own brand cold cream and straight afterwards I got one of the worse breakouts I have ever had - it was just awful!

I persisted as sometimes skin can react to a new product but a week later my skin was just terrible so since then I've gone back to the Clinique 3 step routine and my skin has cleared up. The cold cream method just didn't agree with my skin so it's back to spending stupid amounts of money on Clinique for me.

alexandra

Practically Family
I'm lucky and have good skin naturally. I was always complimented on it and asked what I did to it to make it soft and clear and I'd always feel guilty saying "I barely even wash it" but when I started using cold cream last year my skin got like...better.

It's hard to explain what happened because it feels the same smoothness and is the same spot wise, but something about the way it looks just seems nicer!

I only use it at night though.

Mary

Practically Family
Sarahlouise. You're not the only one! I've been using Jergens allpurpose cream with in essentials is a cold cream.I can't tell a diffence from before when I actually didn't clean my face more than taking a shower.

Maybe some pores have become smaller but the spots are just where they used to be and the blackheadspots haven't moved.

My routine is I put it on in the evening and sleep with it and take it of in the mornig with the warm cloth or to take it of in the evening. Which one is best?

I seem to get more spots when I use the varm cloth or maybe I only see them more in my red face. What do you think?

I have some whichhazel and will start to use it but thought it was best to try one thing at the time to be sure what product works for me.

But i'm still kind of positive because I like the feeling on my skin. It feel clean and not so tight. But I need to use a some cream afterwards cause it's dryening. How can it be dryening? It's so fat!!

I'm a beginner so maybe it's cristalclear to you, but to me it remains a mistery.

m

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Cold Cream how-to from 1941 McCall's

Ok, I -promise- I will scan the ad soon, but I will type the text now.

American Passport
What stamps you as an American girl? Proclaims it in remotest corners of the globe? In sophisticate citadels of Society?

That aura of bright, pervasive freshness. The conscious perfection of groomed hair, groomed nails, simply immaculate, immaculately simple, chic dress-- twice clean skin.

That cool freshness of petal-smooth skin is your American passport to Beauty. Renew it every day n the year. Cultivate it, as do so many members of leading American families-- by devoted observance of the famous Pond's ritual:--

SMOOTH ON your face and neck clouds of tender, caressing Pond's Cold Cream. Then slap your cream-coated skin smartly for 3 full minutes--yes, even 5 minutes. This deliciously slippy cream has two inseparable duties-- cleansing and softening. It mixes with dirt and make-up, the dried, dead cells on your skin-- softens them and sets them free.

WIPE OFF all this softened debris, with deft, absorbent Pond's Tissues. Wiped off, too, are the softened tops of some of the blackheads, rendering it easier for the little plugs of hardened sebum to push their way to the surface.

Again SLAP with cream-laden fingers. And again clean off with caressing Pond's Tissues. These creaming spankings enhance both the cleansing and the softening actions of Pond's. Lines seem less apparent, pores seem diminished.

FOLLOW with the COOL, WET FRAGRANCE of Pond's Skin Freshener.

COAT this freshened, dewy face with a layer of a distinctly other type of cream--Pond's Vanishing cream. This cream's distinguishing duty is to disperse
remaining harsh particles, aftermath of exposure, and leave your skin silky smooth--pliant! Wait one full minute before wiping it off. Then see how it has left an indubitable mat finish on your skin. How competently it both receives and holds smooth your powder!

Perform this ritual in full at least once, night or daytime. And in briefer form again whenever your skin and your make-up demand freshening. Cherish this precious cared-for look of your skin. Keep your fresh young face every cool, clean, sweet as a flower-- as do millions of lovely American girls-- with Pond's.

alexandra

Practically Family
Ha! I was just going to comment on the 3-5 minutes of face slapping. I know one night I'll end up trying it though...haha

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Hey, I want an American passport to Beauty too! (sounds more fun than the regular one)
Seriously though, does Pond's still make a freshener or vanishing cream? Or does anyone else make a vanishing cream? Is it the same as a moisturizer? (Darn, those vintage ads suck me right in...)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Mary said:
Sarahlouise. You're not the only one! I've been using Jergens allpurpose cream with in essentials is a cold cream.I can't tell a diffence from before when I actually didn't clean my face more than taking a shower.

Maybe some pores have become smaller but the spots are just where they used to be and the blackheadspots haven't moved.

My routine is I put it on in the evening and sleep with it and take it of in the mornig with the warm cloth or to take it of in the evening. Which one is best?

I seem to get more spots when I use the varm cloth or maybe I only see them more in my red face. What do you think?

I have some whichhazel and will start to use it but thought it was best to try one thing at the time to be sure what product works for me.

But i'm still kind of positive because I like the feeling on my skin. It feel clean and not so tight. But I need to use a some cream afterwards cause it's dryening. How can it be dryening? It's so fat!!

I'm a beginner so maybe it's cristalclear to you, but to me it remains a mistery.

m

If you're getting good results so far then maybe give it some more time? I can't really give any advice as everybody's skin is different and I didn't get good results at all from this method. I think maybe it's because my skin is too oily? Who knows. All I know is that the Clinique 3-step routine works wonders for me and my skin has gone back to normal since I switched back to it 2 weeks ago. In hindsight, since it has always worked for me, I should not have even bothered trying the cold cream method but curiosity got the better of me!

Smuterella

One Too Many
curiosity and a possible money saving perhaps eh Sarah Louise?

I had a creamy slapping tonight, in the bath. no discernible difference so far, I'll keep reporting back though

:D

ginny

Familiar Face
My update report on the cold cream cleansing:

I finally got some Thayer's Rose Petal/Witch Hazel and used it last night. I still used my Avene in between the cold cream and the Thayer's though.
Well, I noticed quite a few previously stubborn (and even some previously unseen) blackheads that made their way to the skin surface, and I was able to extract them quite easily! Considering the CC is the only new change, I take this as a good sign!
And no negative side effects yet, that I can tell.

Oh, I decided to skip the "cream spanking" or whatever it's called. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo