Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We got more snow today! While it is no where as deep as some of the rest of you, it still pains me. I want to ride!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Years ago, when I was still living in N.Y. and it was still snowing at this time of the year, I said the hell with it, took Friday off, and flew down to Sanibel Island for the weekend. I was just over there, and it's as nice as ever. Pretty affordable, too. It's been in the 80's last couple of days.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ Hey don't you guys need more snow pack out there for summer water? Just askin'.

Worf

Where I live, we are finally out of the drought. No water restrictions last year, non this year. Of course, the ski resorts are on cloud 9. Probably be some skiing until July!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Where I live, we are finally out of the drought. No water restrictions last year, non this year. Of course, the ski resorts are on cloud 9. Probably be some skiing until July!

Good... some forcasters believe that the "water based economy" is in more peril world wide than the oil based economy. We've had droughts on the Southeast and droughts out west now. Just worried. Yeah, ski resorts are doing back flips here too. Single digits this morning... Wore my N3-B. Probably won't see my lawn till June....

Sigh

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Finally got to ride one of my motorcycles the last two days! Not a lot of miles, but now, I can make it through the rest of the winter.

Stand By

One Too Many
I love winter - but I hate this brief time of year which is the transition from winter to spring: and the thawing and defrosting of all the filthy, oily, cigarette butt-filled snow (ice like concrete) banks around the roads.
My mountain bike finally succumbed to all the winter riding last week and the free-hub crapped out on me (as, as my bike tech told me, Shimano didn't design the bike for this amount in moisture/sub-zero exposure - so he's putting a lighter gauge lube in there) - so I'm on the cattle cars and walking this week.
Yesterday I was wearing my ELC RW B-6 as I walked on the sidewalk beside a main road - and a van shot by and hit a puddle of the filthiest salt water crap just perfectly, creating a magnificent deflection shot as I walked by - and it was like someone threw a bucket of the icy cold filth right at my head. It caught me perfectly in my face and went in my ear, all down my neck and all over my jacket. Not a drop on my jeans or Blundstones, no. Right in the face. BOOSH! Man, I swore like a navvies' fish wife! It's a good job looks aren't phasers set to "Total disintegration, you mother f …. " !
And my jacket dried off with a light grey wash and splashes all over it and the fleece.
So this thread is "Coldest weather I've been in" - but my contribution today has the amendment of "Coldest, filthiest, ice water I've had in my mush!"
Roll on Spring ...

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^ I feel your pain. Same thing here.... It's finally warm enough for me to go out with a jacket and while I didn't get splashed... I played hop scotch around a million piles of melting dog poop in EVERY snow bank and all over the side walk. But man your story is sad. If my D1 every got splashed like that I'd be in the hoosecow for assault n' battery!

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It got up into the 50s today. A friend emailed a bunch of us last night, so we played hooky (cough cough), and went on an afternoon ride. Felt good, I can survive the rest of the winter now.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Not quite winter yet up here in Canuckistan, but I left the windows open last night and woke up to a very cool breeze blowing through the house. I had to wear a jacket this morning for the first time this fall.

Hal

Practically Family
The last two weeks of September have been wonderfully fine over most of Britain, with lots of bright sunshine.
There has, however, on several days been a big discrepancy between early-morning and afternoon temperatures; I have woken up to 4C and experienced 19C on the same day more than once recently.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When I visited London almost two months ago, I was told that in the UK one could sometimes experience all four seasons there on the same day!

Stand By

One Too Many
Not quite winter yet up here in Canuckistan, but I left the windows open last night and woke up to a very cool breeze blowing through the house. I had to wear a jacket this morning for the first time this fall.

I hear you about that distinctly cool breeze blowing the curtains last night - it felt so nice!
The Aero ANJ-3 came out this week - along with the Flight Utility cargo pants from Orvis. Made of "Britain Cloth", they're a very substantial cotton and only now (Fall-like temps) is it suitable to try them out, and they are fantastic! Wonderful material. And they look great with the pants, the ANJ-3 and my new Ebbets Field ball cap (my second one).
But it's amazing how only on Monday and Tuesday (yesterday) it was shorts and t-shirt weather and on both days I got completely soaked on the bike and didn't mind so much as it was simply too warm for rain gear. What a difference a day makes!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There is a joke in Edinburgh that runs roughly, 'Don't like the weather just now? Wait 10 minutes, something else will be along shortly.'

Stand By

One Too Many
The first time I went to the UK, it only rained once... it started when I got out of the plane and ended when I returned home.

I hear you, Jaoa. I went home one time in the late Autumn for 2 weeks and the only jacket I took was my Irvin - and the sodding wind and rain was relentless the entire time. That collar started to feel like a dead drowned cat around my neck after a few days. The rain was ridiculous - the way the rain was lashing the windows, it was like being at the bottom end of a wind tunnel with a man standing at the top end and he was holding a hose (that's life on the top of Sheffield's tallest hill!).
And, having been away for a while, my family showed how much they missed me by each member taking me to the pub - and drinking to excess tends to lower my immune system a bit - and it's alright for them as it's a tag-team event, but for me, it's just me and my one liver. Suffice to say, by the time I came back to Canada, I came down with my first ever - and only - chest infection.
Visit in July.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ What? I thought drinking made you immune to illness? I must have been misinformed.

screen_shot_2013_10_17_at_12_40_40_pm_p2237324.jpg

That cold breeze last night was nice, but not if you had to wake up early in the morning, which unfortunately I had to today. It would have been nice to stay under the covers and sleep in. Yeah, the weather has clearly turned and like you said it goes from warm one day to cold the next. Long-time Canadians can tell that switchover day when it happens, although you never know ahead of time which day it will be. From here until March it will be long pants and jackets and coats.

love_winter.png

a5733fb59deb8ef9697336c06e4437a9a028aceb6157f6d9.jpg

we_are_going_to_the_store_dr_heckle_funny_winter.jpg

Canadian_Memes_Flat_Tire.jpg

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I hear you about it being tough crawling out from under the warm bedding … - especially to go outside and get two dark dog walks in!
And yes, it's always the same every year - like a switch gets clicked somewhere and that's it. Game Over. Fall has arrived.
But I really don't mind. I love dressing for this season after shorts and t-shirts for so long.

I'm on board with cooler climes, too! Although it hasn't reached below -40F for about a decade now, (#!*#! Al Gore!) but I have worked in temperatures under that in northern Vermont/southern Quebec. It's all in proper dressing. Besides, warming up can be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97