Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

This week? About 72ºf. So tired of this heat...we're getting no Fall this year. :(

Oh, and that "low" temp was at about 3AM...

Last edited:

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Several weeks ago on an alpine adventure. No leather jacket here but temps of 15 degrees at 8,500 feet.
73652_109729992427154_757652_n.jpg

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I think it was -9F, here in Wisconsin. Around here they will refer to it in terms of windchill rather than air temperature. That always confuses me. "It's negative 15?!? Oh, wait, that can't be right...." every. time.

Oh, I just looked up my current city and it says in January of 2008 it hit -20. I was living here or the next city over, so I'm sure I experienced that. But I must have blocked out the memory. Who could blame me?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ That's strange they would report windchill, not the actual temperature. One can be measured scientifically, the other can be measured scientifically only once a variety of local conditions are measured and combined, conditions which change from locale to locale. Weird.

It dipped below freezing here last night and it's slightly below this morning. I will wait until the sun has been up for a while before going for my walk!

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
^ That's strange they would report windchill, not the actual temperature. One can be measured scientifically, the other can be measured scientifically only once a variety of local conditions are measured and combined, conditions which change from locale to locale. Weird.
After living in this climate for 13 years, I have an idea as to why. Wind chill is what really affects a person's comfort and sometimes safety (frostbite risk), so people care more about that. Sorry--when I say reporting, though, I mean the general public letting friends and family know. People talk about the weather a lot here. The meteorologists here in WI will give "dangerous wind chill" warnings when appropriate and the wind chills are listed on the map. I don't know if they do that elsewhere, but I'd guess states like North Dakota probably do. It's worse there!

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Small amount of snow last night and this morning, temps around -9C, with a strong wind. Because winter has been so benign this year I'm actually looking forward to getting into the Cdn Forces parka and going for a walk. Last year, though, which was nasty, I would not have felt the same way!

Edit: The walk was cold and my face was really cold. My parka has a big hood, which is great, but it's big enough to fit over a helmet so it's not always good at keeping the wind out. I have an N3B on the way, so hopefully that will do a better job, even if they're a bit short overall.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
-32C with windchill today so rather nippy. It's pure parka weather here and very pleased to have mine today.

Look forward to the pics of your new N-3B Doc, sounds like it's arriving at the right time.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^^ I've said this before but the Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales match at -40 and I think I've only seen that once in my life.

It's 15F here today which wouldn't be too bad except the wind is blowing extremely hard. I'll get out for a walk soon after dressing up. There were a couple of coyotes in the backyard this morning, passing through.

the loco

One of the Regulars
Sometimes have to work outside all day at -30oC or lower in Montreal, Canada. I wear a Canada Goose Chilliwack bomber jacket in those circumstances, but I'm certain an Irvin or a B3 would do well too, as those were designed for -50oC and tremendous winds. Being an hour or two at those temperatures is never a problem, ten hours is a different story, thought.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes have to work outside all day at -30oC or lower in Montreal, Canada. I wear a Canada Goose Chilliwack bomber jacket in those circumstances, but I'm certain an Irvin or a B3 would do well too, as those were designed for -50oC and tremendous winds. Being an hour or two at those temperatures is never a problem, ten hours is a different story, thought.

Here in Arctic Norway right now pretty much the only thing that gets used at chez moi is a Canada Goose Citadel parka. It's not vintage but bloody hell does it do a good job when it's seriously cold and the wind is howling (usual conditions here at the moment). It's the most practical piece of extreme winter clothing I have by a long chalk.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I doubt shearling would be much use at those temperatures, even though it looks warm. What sort of job do you do that keeps you outside in Montreal for 10 hours at a time? (if you don't mind me asking)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I doubt shearling would be much use at those temperatures, even though it looks warm. What sort of job do you do that keeps you outside in Montreal for 10 hours at a time? (if you don't mind me asking)

Everybody is different so I can't speak for the loco but I'm the same Doc. I find the sweet spot for a sheepskin flying jacket like an Irvin around 5C to -5C, or even pushing close to -10 with no wind (but with some woollen layering), but if there's wind and cold, or if the temps really drop I want something longer and more insulating. I couldn't be out all day in temps below -10C in just an Irvin/B-3/etc and certainly not if there was a seriously wind blowing.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Coldest I have been in that I at least remember was -19 (I think -30 with windchill) in both Worcester, MA and -20 with windchill in St. Louis, MO. I love weather that cold. I really wish we got stuff like that here in socal. I laugh every time people think 50 is cold.

the loco

One of the Regulars
Montreal is a really nice city, but since I'm so out of place here, I prefer to work with other immigrants or alone, and one of my jobs is the distribution of flyers. In Quebec that's called PubliSac. During winter the work goes slower and can be 10h at a time.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Today, a friend and I came up with a new Chicago term: "So cold, your garbage will freeze." We came up with it after finding that both our garbage can lids had frozen shut today.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
They said it was somewhere around 15F here in Indy today. I've seen the wind chill lower my native Alabama, at about -5, but I've never seen water instantly freeze when splashed on a windshield before. That happened today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda