Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Montreal is a really nice city, but since I'm so out of place here, I prefer to work with other immigrants or alone, and one of my jobs is the distribution of flyers. In Quebec that's called PubliSac. During winter the work goes slower and can be 10h at a time.
That's a hard dollar, as they say. I've been there a couple times in winter on jobs, real estate so it meant schlepping around in the snow, so I have a sense of what you're experiencing - properly dressed, it's fine. However if there's any gap in your defenses, then it's no fun at all, ho ho

Anyone from the warmer parts of the U.S. who wants to get a sense of what Montreal winters are like (they're legendary) should watch this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/retroolschool
His snow clearing ones are particularly interesting since Montreal doesn't p*ss around when it comes to clearing the streets (unlike Toronto, which is often hopeless).

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They said it was somewhere around 15F here in Indy today. I've seen the wind chill lower my native Alabama, at about -5, but I've never seen water instantly freeze when splashed on a windshield before. That happened today.

I was doing this thing that Norwegian kids grow up doing (I'm not from here originally so I'm still a big kid with this sort of stuff) last week when it was seriously cold, where you throw a cup of boiling water into the air and it instantly freezes. Great fun!

I'm spending a month and a half in Winnipeg right now, so... Mind you, Winnipeggers claim this has been an exceptionally mild winter so I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the - 25 °C (- 34 °C due to wind chill, few days ago) we're having here. Such a lovely air, here, though. So clean and... nice.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Another hair dryer day over here. 42C and the thought of wearing any jacket is purely academic. I did two loads of washing today. When I went out to hang the second load the first load was already bone dry. To amuse myself hiding from the heat I stitched up some moth holes on knits of a jacket I recently acquired whilst enjoying a few beers.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I'm spending a month and a half in Winnipeg right now, so... Mind you, Winnipeggers claim this has been an exceptionally mild winter so I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the - 25 °C (- 34 °C due to wind chill, few days ago) we're having here. Such a lovely air, here, though. So clean and... nice.
It's called Winterpeg for a reason!

Stand By

One Too Many
It's hard to think that 10 days ago I was in Mexico, boogie-boarding in the Pacific and covered in Factor 70 while I did so (I can't use Factor 100. That's the next step up for me and they're bandages - and they'd get wet and soggy and fall off in the surf) - and fast forward to day today and I wore my B-3 and B-2 this morning.

Stand By

One Too Many
Glad you're back. Where the heck is Big J?

I know, right? Just before I headed off to Mexico, the last thing I did before I logged off, I sent him a PM to wish him a merry Christmas and all that, but no reply either.
I hope he's doing alright.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another hair dryer day over here. 42C and the thought of wearing any jacket is purely academic. I did two loads of washing today. When I went out to hang the second load the first load was already bone dry. To amuse myself hiding from the heat I stitched up some moth holes on knits of a jacket I recently acquired whilst enjoying a few beers.

I feel for you AdeeC, a couple of mates back in Melb were telling me it was uncomfortable and that bad weather and even a dust storm hit. No fun when the mercury nudges over 40. At least the cool change has - I believe - blown through.

Actually are you in Vic (I always assumed you were with the temps) but I suppose you could be in SA? Wherever you are I hope you're stocked up with beer as I hear it's going to warm up again in the south east early next week.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I feel for you AdeeC, a couple of mates back in Melb were telling me it was uncomfortable and that bad weather and even a dust storm hit. No fun when the mercury nudges over 40. At least the cool change has - I believe - blown through.

Actually are you in Vic (I always assumed you were with the temps) but I suppose you could be in SA? Wherever you are I hope you're stocked up with beer as I hear it's going to warm up again in the south east early next week.
Yes I am in Victoria. Today it is relatively cool and raining. Better than yesterday. The afternoon was unbearable. Hard to get used to any kind of weather over here as it changes quickly within a matter of hours.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Low of -16C yesterday morning, plus wind chill.
Low of -15C this morning, wind chill and snow predicted.
This weekend -14C is supposed to be the high!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

I've done time in Winnipeg - what'd you do to get sent there?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland