Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Friggin' guys, come up here and enjoy the cold with us real men. I just walked to the post office (and back!) in a snowstorm. It was fun... well, it was fun in one direction at least.

Loring AFB back in the 80's, -45 with the wind chill. I was the roof top guy that night in the alert area. N3 Parka with the trousers, mucklucks with wool and cotton socks, ski mask, the AF heavy mittens, long underwear, you name it. Still froze my azz off. There was a roof vent from the kitchen I think blowing air all night so I put on my rain poncho and sat on it every once in a while to thaw out but had to keep moving up there so to keep the tower Sgt. happy. What a miserable existance at that base most of the year.

Wintertime is coming back to Germany. I'm so happy, I can wear my perfect warming tweedcoat, the next weeks!! :)

At the moment, we got 23°F here, converted to your system. And the air is WET!

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Wow, some of those are extreme temps!

The coldest I've ever felt was on a motorcycle in the snow in the mountains during a California winter moto camping trip to Anza Borrego. Damn, visibility was dicey too. We warmed up at a glider airport that had a stove. Those people were nice to let us in. A Lost Worlds Easy Ryder kept the wind out but man my hands were really stiff! Warmed up a little on the way down the hill into Anza Borrego.......was good fun afer that!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Loring AFB back in the 80's, -45 with the wind chill. I was the roof top guy that night in the alert area. N3 Parka with the trousers, mucklucks with wool and cotton socks, ski mask, the AF heavy mittens, long underwear, you name it. Still froze my azz off. There was a roof vent from the kitchen I think blowing air all night so I put on my rain poncho and sat on it every once in a while to thaw out but had to keep moving up there so to keep the tower Sgt. happy. What a miserable existance at that base most of the year.
Great military story, thanks for posting.

It's -17C right now this morning and I suspect it must have been even colder overnight since the sky was clear and that always means a cold night. I would like to go for a walk but I'll keep it short and dress up appropriately (although as the story above shows, at some temperature it's impossible to dress appropriately - if you're cold in an N3B parka and F1B pants then it's hopeless!).

Gromulus

Practically Family
8F (-13C) air temps this morning, -7F (-21C) wind chill.
God day for my ANJ-4.
This thing is so warm I don't wear it unless air temps are <15 - 20F (-8C)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hasn't been above freezing today. Wind hard from the northwest, gusting into the thirties. The old-time duck hunters around here loathed a northwest wind. There's just no way to get out of it. It'll find you...and freeze you...no matter where you hide.

Tried an old peacoat this morning. It's a pre-sixties, heavy, issued coat, but the wind cut right through it. Had to switch to a current-issue shipboard deck jacket. That did the trick.

AF

pawineguy

One Too Many
-12 C (11F) and heading to -5F tonight. Filson waxed jacket with wool liner and Filson hunting shirt. Wind whipping pretty good to boot. Even inside the hotel lobby where I'm staying for the weekend they can't keep it warm because of the doors opening.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Not too far from you in Buffalo burbs. Don't mind the cold, hate the snow. Wearing the N-1 in this kind of cold!

Having never owned an N-1, I didn't realize it could handle seriously cold weather like we are getting today. I've been considering purchasing an N-1, but may not if it is that warm!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
-16.7 C tonight, 7PM feb 13. This seems very cold after the mild weather we have been getting. The temperature dropped 30 degrees in 48 hours.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
-22C this morning (about -8F) but no wind, fortunately. I haven't seen it that cold in quite a few years, here in southern Ontario.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
I have camped under the stars at -20 F, I was on Mt Washington at -5F with a 90 mph wind and whiteout conditions, but the coldest I ever felt was 4 days I spent in England (Abingdon, of interest to MG aficionados) one November. I saw the sun for less than 15 minutes, the rest of the time was constant precipitation; freezing rain, snow or mist, and the temperature was always within a degree or two of freezing. Should have brought some good tweed!

-2 F here this AM, not unusual for my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Hal

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner