Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coldest Weather I've been in

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Flannel lined pants and the B-10 today. Thank God I scored an authentic N-3B last year. In this cold snap I've worn the N-3B, shearling lined Thunderbay and my Aero Irvin. As Ahnold might say...

"Cold! I laff at chew!"

Worf

Hal

Practically Family
...but the coldest I ever felt was 4 days I spent in England (Abingdon, of interest to MG aficionados) one November. I saw the sun for less than 15 minutes, the rest of the time was constant precipitation; freezing rain, snow or mist, and the temperature was always within a degree or two of freezing. Should have brought some good tweed!
As it happens, Abingdon is the place in England where I have felt the hottest; it's as far from the sea as anywhere on this island so its climate is less moderate.
I entirely understand your experience; temperatures near freezing-point, with precipitation and (especially) wind, are extremely nasty as far as one feels; Norwegian friends who are used to very low temperatures will say the same as you. Humidity makes both heat and cold more unpleasant.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
Having never owned an N-1, I didn't realize it could handle seriously cold weather like we are getting today. I've been considering purchasing an N-1, but may not if it is that warm!

Everyone has their own body temperature gauge, but my Eastman N-1 is pretty warm. In this kind of weather I do wear about three layers under it (undershirt/turtleneck shirt/sweater)!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The temperature here climbed from -5C when I got up to +5C at noon, but there's a fierce wind which is making it feel much colder and nothing is melting even though it should be.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Colder over here in the UK last few days, wearing my ELC Luftwaffe jacket (heavy hide & lining) as opposed to my Brooks 60's Cafe Racer last week.

The early frost has led to me warming up the old SAAB whilst standing in the kitchen looking out (to make sure no-one trys to steal the car) whilst drinking Twinnings Tea & eating buttered crumpets (as is the English way..apart from today when it was a cheese-burger at 8.00 a.m).

I dare say a wet-suit will be required again very soon though (will the rain never stop?)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The cold is back again, and it's bad. I went for walk this afternoon with three layers and a neck warmer under my military parka and it took me about 25 minutes to warm up to a comfortable level. It's the end of April and a windcheater should be good enough.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The cold is back again, and it's bad. I went for walk this afternoon with three layers and a neck warmer under my military parka and it took me about 25 minutes to warm up to a comfortable level. It's the end of April and a windcheater should be good enough.
Join the club! I mowed my nice green lawn this morning, light shirt on, by mid afternoon I had the heater on my truck up to full blast, and was still filling the chill!

Hal

Practically Family
As one who much prefers the clothes of winter, finding them more stylish and more psychologically satisfying to wear, I'd celebrate rather than lament lower temperatures (which we are also experiencing on this side of the Atlantic, as Cocker has written). Be glad of the opportunity to wear the items you mention. Thermal comfort can easily be regulated by sartorial means in cool weather but that is impossible in hot.
I can remember snow here on 26th April 1981, but not later than that in any year since.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snow, rain & sun over here...mother nature is confused as is my wardrobe :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
There's a time for sheepskin and then there's a time for lightweight cotton -- now is that time! There was no wind on my walk today so I was able to get away with a 45/P jacket over a sweatshirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot