Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collection of subminiature cameras made in occupied japan

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Hello Loungers -

Sending out an inquiry regarding my collection of 30 subminiature "Hit style" (made in occupied Japan) cameras to see if there are any collectors who might be interested in purchasing.

Most (25) of the cameras are high-end examples including: Mycro, Mighty, Toko Tone, Peace, Rubix, Snappy, Myracle, Toyoca, Pixie, Minute-16, Tynar and Steky. (Only 5 cameras are of the more common variety: Crystar, Star, Hit, Speedex and Hamco.

All come with miniature leather ever-ready cases. Several also come with original boxes.

The Steky is a complete set including leather case, wooden presentation boxes, telephoto lens w/leather case and flash unit. One Mighty is a complete set with telephoto lens, lens hood and large leather case.

I will post or send photos if anyone is interested.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I would imagine that some work and some do not. I am not a camera expert. I acquired them only for display - they are beautiful objects, like miniature gems. Lots of information on the web re: Hit-style subminiature cameras. They used 16mm movie film that was split lengthwise down the middle. Film is no longer manufactured for these cameras, but die-hard afficionados have posted methodology for using 16mm film and making your own rolls. Lots of vintage film still available, but it's all roughly 50 years past the expiration date. I have about 10 packs for display purposes.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, they use split 35mm film, not 16mm. One source for info on Hit-type cameras is the longtime submini camera site, The Sub Club:

http://www.subclub.org/shop/175mm.htm

I recall when I was a kid in the sixties... these were still being sold in tourist-trap shops in Manhattan. They're interesting little things, but most were just cheap novelties that couldn't make very sharp images.

Now the Minox, that's a serious subminiature camera... and I've got a 1956-vintage model loaded with b/w film on my person right now!

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I concur on the quality issues with these little things. I've handled a few, and they didn't age well. Combine that with having to split film and handle that, too, and I just don't consider them practical.

Get a Minox "B" for sneaking those photos of the neighbor in her back yard, ;) and leave these for display.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I personally am no camera expert, and I am sure older miniature cameras are not going to produce as nice as a picture as a modern camera, but have to find something like these cameras have an interesting appeal, even if they have issues with film, or functioning in a "top shelf" fashion. If they have a collectable value, that even adds a bit more appeal to them. My one question on the topic of film was only in regards that it would be nice to actually take a picture or two with them!

As I do still have some interest, I will hope some pictures even if only one or two of the cameras gets posted here to view.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Right, and I didn't really mean to hijack the thread. Hit-type cameras are interesting collectibles, with many fascinating variations:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Hit-type_cameras

It's just that some of us have so many cool cameras, and so many different types! There are lots of really interesting cameras out there...

I sure can agree with that, I am actually sad to see (to some degree) that it is more all "digital" stuff now, then when a good 35mm camera was in use all the time. Some places near me, will not even develop regular film, just want to make pictures from a digital camera. In the mid 1970's, my older brother was an executive here in the USA, for the u.s. sales and marketing of the Yashica camera company. He was really into photography and at the time, showed me so much about filters, lenses, etc. It is an "art" all on it's own.

Well, even steven, please do post a picture or two of your cameras, I am wanting to see what they look like. Thanks!

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Here are some photos. Of the 30 cameras, 25 are like these pictured, which are considered far better quality and more valuable than the cheaper Hit-style cameras. These beauties are very small - only about 2 inches wide, and most come with leather cases.

tone.jpg

snappy.jpg

rubix.jpg

myracle.jpg

mycro.jpg

mycrocase.jpg

toyoca.jpg

mighty.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member