Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Flieger said:
I just got myself a bottle of LAYRITE Hawleywoods No.9 Bay Rum after shave, which so far is the only Bay Rum variant I've been able to find here in Sweden.

http://layrite.com/items/buy-now/no_9_aftershave-detail.htm

I like it very much but I noticed that the scent dies down rather quickly. Is this something that is common on all the Bay Rum variants, or is it just that I got my hands on a "weak" brand?

/F

You know, I've noticed the same thing. I think it has to do with the fact that most bay rums are aftershaves which I think are more watered down than Eau de Cologne and Eau de Toilette.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
GeoffreyBeeneGreyFlannel-M500.jpg

"Grey Flannel, a lovely smell that reminds me of a garden after summer rain!" very unique! I tried to buy some a few months ago but was told it had been discontinued?

funneman

Practically Family
I ran out of everything else, so I finally warmed up to the bottle of Bay Rum I've had for a couple of years. I wanted a glass bottle but could only find plastic at Sally's.

I can't tell if the aroma has softened somewhat since I bought it or if I have just found it a little more acceptable than when I first opened it.

I kind of like the fact that it doesn't linger. I've never liked thinking I'm leaving my after shave smell on someone else when we shake hands.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I want to try bay rum, sounds interesting. I haven't had good luck so far with other old standbys like brut or pinaud.
Scents are about the one retro thing I generally can't hang with. I might like to shave like grandpa but it feels weird to smell like him. Same for parfums, past a certain age they aren't exciting to me.
My fiancee wears pure tunisian jasmine, which is old but timeless. I swear by Tiffany's for Men. I use brut for aftershave but I'm not wild about it.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
In 1965, a young lady with whom I was enamoured said, and I quote, "A real man ought to smell like sweat, horses, or car grease. Anything else is phony." I have used no artificial scent since.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Inusuit said:
"A real man ought to smell like sweat, horses, or car grease. Anything else is phony."
No bathing allowed? :eusa_doh:

She sounds like a kinky one.:p

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Not really able to wear scents daily, as I work for an oxygen company (respiratory conditions + perfumes = likely not a good combo), so whatever my deodorant and hair product smell like, is about all I've got.
For weekend and special wear I have:
-Burberry 'Brit'
-Ralph Lauren 'Safari' (which I haven't touched in years. discontinued shortly after I bought it)
- F/P Homme. Very light, and not the least bit 'manly,' but I like it.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Anyone know of a cologne with a sophisticated yet rustic cedar and vanilla scent?

Ive been looking for a new cologne for sometime and Im having a bit of trouble. I generally dont like the mainstream scents. I currently wear Trumper's Sandlewood, but its a bit too summery of a scent for this time of year. My two favorite scents are vanilla and cedar, with cedar being my favorite. I would like to find a cologne that has these scents. I would like something that is both sophisticated and somewhat complex, but also rustic enough that its distinctly masculine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont mind ordering overseas or a steep price as cologne lasts me quite a while.

Thanks!

Bugsy

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
Ive been looking for a new cologne for sometime and Im having a bit of trouble. I generally dont like the mainstream scents. I currently wear Trumper's Sandlewood, but its a bit too summery of a scent for this time of year. My two favorite scents are vanilla and cedar, with cedar being my favorite. I would like to find a cologne that has these scents. I would like something that is both sophisticated and somewhat complex, but also rustic enough that its distinctly masculine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont mind ordering overseas or a steep price as cologne lasts me quite a while.

Thanks!

You might try "Roadster" by Cartier. I was attracted to the vanilla in it. It's a bit expensive, but very nice.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
No worries about the carping. To carp even further further, the Cypress in this case is commonly called Cade and is a member of the Cypress family called the Prickly Cedar, or Juniperus oxycedrus. Eau des Baux goes really well with their Cade line of skincare. That said, I am sure that there are truer cedar/genus Cedrus out there. You might try Basenote's directory and sort by notes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Annichen said:
I am curious to know about popular 1920s/30s perfume brands for men?
Anyone..?
Creed has been around for ages and was popular with royalty, movie stars, etc......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn