Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color photos, 1930's and 40's

grant

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting the link. I have the book but seeing the photos online is also very cool.

Grant

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
...and a third thanks from me. Amazing photographs. Many of them look as if they really were taken yesterday. Some of the family shots could be Lounge members here (some of the people here are that dedicated to the authentic look).

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
My understanding is this photo exhibit closes @ the Library of Congress towards the end of November. Thanks for the link to the photo's there great. They give you a definite feeling of hard times in that period & that the dress of the common person was long way off from the pages of the Sears catalog. You can tell these folks had other more worldly problems to consider!

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is why...

Those color photos are very good references to true life of the times. I have found some great photos on the net and find them to be the best references for when it comes to dressing vintage.

Lots of people are shocked that every one looked different then what is pictured by Hollywood or magazines. But, there were plenty who did dress nicely then just in large cities and such. Farms and rural areas never saw high fashion except in an occasional movie.

I love to see these photos because it is a true window into every day life of those years.

This is one of my favorite images from their site.

scolor5zw.jpg

WR.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Wolf said:
I just love the curves. Plus, they were solidly built back then.

The Wolf

Are you referring to the girl or the cars? :p

Yes, I agree about the cars of course! That's why I insist on driving a the 46 daily! I never tire of the feel of driving that great big car! I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it!

Thank you guys, I'm glad you enjoy my photo contributions!

WR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner