Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colours for brunettes!! ;-)

maisie

Practically Family
Seeing as there is a thread for the other hair colours why should us bruntte girls miss out!;)
I tend to think that most colours go with brunette hair, and that the skin colours decided what colours you can (or can't wear) instead. For example if you are very tanned (orange:D ;) ) then it probably isn't best to wear hot pinks or shade of orange, also white can sometimes make it look worse!!:eek:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, us brunettes get overlooked too much.
As for orange skin and white outfits, I never really much liked the oompa loompa look.
I have dark hair, and my skin is fair, although not as fair as some. I find I look better in pinks and reds, and I've just discovered turqoise, which turns out to be a good color for someone of my complexion. As for dark hair and a real tan, I think white and pastels can look nice. I've always been, up until the past year, a "black trousers" type of gal. But, I always try to add a splash of color in a top and accessories.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I would have started a thread, but I had to run to a meeting [huh]

I would say that the colors that look best depend on your total coloring--i.e., do you have dark hair and cool, pale skin, or dark hair and warm, tawny skin?

For example, one of my sisters has very dark brown hair and pale, cool skin (Snow White coloring.) She looks best in jewel tones and bright, rich, saturated colors (reds, royal blue, teal, fuchsia, white instead or ivory.)

My other sister has medium, warm brown hair and tawny skin. She looks best in warm, fall colors (oranges, golds, browns, orange reds, ivory instead of white.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Carole as a brunette:

cl_nyn050943.jpg

cl_canary.jpg

cl_msp1043.jpg

cl_sg143.jpg

cl_movies.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It depends on skin and hair tone. Yesterday I saw a woman with golden brown hair and a golden skin tone wearing light aqua. It just wasn't her color. But that color would like fine on my mother, who has graying black hair and light olive skin.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It depends on skin and hair tone. Yesterday I saw a woman with golden brown hair and a golden skin tone wearing light aqua. It just wasn't her color. But that color would like fine on my mother, who has graying black hair and light olive skin.

Exactly--see my tale above about my two brunette sisters, who have opposite coloring :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hey! She's wearin' my colors!

My hair is a sort of medium reddish brown (thanks to Nutrisse #56), and I find I can wear just about any of the colors that Ms. Landis is wearing in these excellent pics. I especially like her taste in sweaters -- I've got some just like those!

But I can't wear colors that are too -- exaggerated, I guess is the word. No neon-type colors, no colors not found in nature, and I also try to avoid anything too orangey.

I like true red, but usually only use it as an accent rather than as the base for a whole outfit -- not so much because of color conflicts, but because I find it a red dress or suit more assertive than my quiet mouse-like personality can carry off...;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I think you would look lovely in red, Lizzie! And a deep bluish-pink shade as well :)

And Daisy, you always look lovely in the photos you post :) The yellow dress you are wearing in your avatar is perfect for your coloring ;)

Novella

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Yellow can look especially striking on a brunette (as Daisy and Ms. Darnell demonstrate):

I'm a brunette, but yellow is one color I have trouble wearing - maybe I'm just trying on the wrong shades of yellow? I tend to have the most luck with browns.

Foofoogal

Banned
Years ago I had my colors done. It was a type of party for a cosmetics company. I am brunette and have olive skin and I was called a winter. Something about undertones.
I am supposed to wear Royal Blue, Red, Brown, White and some more.
I look hideous in yellow or orange and tans.
I think most women experiment to best colors for themselves.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
some of my favourite brunette looks.

getpic-7.jpg

Dazzling in white/off white or cream.
getpic-2.jpg

Sophisticated in ice blue, l love this cherry red lipstick with it too.
getpic-4.jpg

Exotic in velvet, jewel colours.
getpic-6.jpg

Plain gorgeous in neutral, or earthy tones.
getpic-3.jpg

Drop dead gorgeous in satin, (ok so maybe she was raven haired but we don't have a thread for that yet so I have put it here:) )

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lovely pics -- she's one of my role models!

I had the good fortune of getting to run a special showing of "Laura" yesterday afternoon, and was struck once again by just how well she wore clothes. Even though the film was in black and white, you got a sense of how carefully and well-composed her outfits were!

maisie

Practically Family
I just can't seem to pick which Hollywood movie star is my favorite, or even who was the most beautifull or wore clothes the best as they are all so different! I love the black and white stripy gloves in that one pictures, it just shows how acessories can make an outfit!:rolleyes: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR