Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

COMBAT!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Just recently grabbed the first three complete seaons of Combat on DVD. I have always loved this show and I am experiencing a Combat renaissance lately. After watching the two on Encore each morning, I spend an hour in the evening watching an episode or two. Man what an awesome series!

Anyone else out there a Combat fan???

Mike

Winkydink

Familiar Face
vic morrow lives

i think combat was a very good series. gritty. complex.

i watch it on cable. it is on the american life network channel. that used to be the nostalgia channel i think.

i would really like to see victory at sea on tv.

winky d.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Used to watch it's first run with my father. Didn't know that the last season was in color, due to our having a black and white TV at the time. (I don't think I would have liked it in color.) If I remember correctly, Rick Jason was a WWII veteran.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Recall the show as well acted/scripted; and Rick Jason reminds me of a team CO
I had-dour, taciturn, humorless, and the most distant ba***rd I ever served under; but like
Jason's character, Lt Hanley, a fine officer. Saunders was another exceptional leader,
though more personable than Hanley. I don't recall either Saunders or Hanley getting hit,
which is even more remarkable for a line outfit, but that's Hollywood.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Color TV

I watched it in the 60s also. We didn't have color TV until the 70s, so I didn't know either. Good show, we watched it every week, but we also watched Hogans Heros, so don't go by me. Was Rat Patrol in color?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Recall the show as well acted/scripted; and Rick Jason reminds me of a team CO
I had-dour, taciturn, humorless, and the most distant ba***rd I ever served under; but like
Jason's character, Lt Hanley, a fine officer. Saunders was another exceptional leader,
though more personable than Hanley. I don't recall either Saunders or Hanley getting hit,
which is even more remarkable for a line outfit, but that's Hollywood.

Just watched two of the color episodes. One in which Saunders escapes from behind German lines in a German uniform, another in which he receives a letter from his kid brother who happens to resemble a replacement that he takes under his wing and is overly protective towards. He was wounded in both episodes!
In fact, I don't recall an episode in which he was not shell shocked or received some sort of flesh wound.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I watched it in the 60s also. We didn't have color TV until the 70s, so I didn't know either. Good show, we watched it every week, but we also watched Hogans Heros, so don't go by me. Was Rat Patrol in color?

I also watched it in the '60s, on a B/W TV and didn't know it had gone to color, either. I started watching the TV show while truck driving (Netflix) but only got through a few episodes. They're back on my list to get and watch while working out.

Yes, The Rat Patrol was in color. I know this only because I just started watching it from the beginning during my workouts. The second episode guest-starred Ed Asner. That half-hour format was rather limiting, though.

One thing that renting DVDs of TV series from different decades does is quantify the feeling most of us had that "they're showing a lot more commercials lately." An hour-long show from the '60s (or two half-hour episodes of a show) clocks in at 48-50 minutes or so. The most recent show I've watched, Enterprise, clocks in at 40 minutes.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner