Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

FAYEZY123

New in Town
CherryWry said:
I have a coworker who sneers at me whenever I wear anything she doesn't like. She doesn't discriminate, I've gotten the wrinked nose and disdainful huff in vintage, vintage-inspired, and things that didn't look even remotely vintage. So rude.

But as one of my other co-workers has pointed out, at least I wear clothes that fit.

Whenever Mary sneers at me, I check my posture, stand about half-an inch taller, look her over from head to toe and give her a small smile without saying a word. It drives her nuts.

Whenever I see someone wearing something that really suits them, I try to make a point of letting them know. I've had complete strangers make my day by telling me they thought my hair was pretty or they liked my shoes, if I can pass on the good feelings, all the better.

I have had the EXACT same problem. A manager at work took an instant dislike to me when I first started, really singled me out. Was overheard telling people how my clothes looked rediculous...turns out she got married later that year in a vintage 1950's style dress...the cheek!

Two years later though and I think she's gotten bored of making comments as she leaves me alone now!

Keep your head high and be true to yourself!

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
FAYEZY123 said:
I have had the EXACT same problem. A manager at work took an instant dislike to me when I first started, really singled me out. Was overheard telling people how my clothes looked rediculous...turns out she got married later that year in a vintage 1950's style dress...the cheek!

Two years later though and I think she's gotten bored of making comments as she leaves me alone now!

Keep your head high and be true to yourself!

Wow, she is such a hypocrite. I can't stand people who are like that!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
Rocketblast said:
I always compliment other people, but I have to say I do often get strange looks, as if I'm a mad stalker. People don't seem to like strangers talking to them, they just think you're weird. [huh]

I've noticed that too. It is always ackward when you give a compliment and they look at you like 'yeah, ok so what?' [huh]

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
Last week I got the strangest compliment I've ever had, vintage or otherwise. I was wearing a navy, sailor top. The type with the squared bow collar and white piping. It has little silver stars on the shoulders and I love it. It's from 1946 so I'm careful to wear it only occasionally. I wore it with a navy pleated skirt (which isn't vintage but hush hush ;) ) and a pair of black patent mary janes I've had since the dinosaurs were around. My hair was tied back in a high pontail with ribbon.
Well, I was sat on a wall with my friend, making the place look untidy because we're teenagers and we do things like that, when a man who must have been at least 70, came up to me and told me that he loved what I was wearing and that it reminded him of how his wife used to dress their little girl when she was small. Now, I'm 19. I knew my dress sense was somewhat juvenile but I had no idea to what extent. Nevertheless, he seemed genuinely happy to see a reminder of his daughter and for that, at least, it's worth making the effort in the morning.

BoPeep

Practically Family
The-Blue-Star said:
Nevertheless, he seemed genuinely happy to see a reminder of his daughter . . .

I've found this to be the most common remark I get (besides the "You look like Rosie the Riveter!" comment) - older folks who are reminded of relatives. When I'm walking around the car shows dressed in full crinolines and glasses (see avatar), I get a lot of stares from my generation. But the older guys in their 60s and 70s will actually say that I remind them of their mother or aunt or someone like that. It does make them genuinely happy. Aaaah, the power of nostalgia...

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I had on a sweater set, A-line denim skirt, flats and my hair was more Lauren Bacall-ish than not...nothing fancy today (I relly wanted to garden instead of run to the store!). The lady at our local grocer said, "Oh, you look so cute!".
At 48, cute is not a term I am comfortable with, I save that word for children, but I smiled and said thank you.

dimples

New in Town
The most disappointing comment I have had recently was last weekend at Vintage Goodwood. I had stepped outside my normal comfort zone (40s) and did a full 60s look with huge beehive, cute dress and black eyeliner and a lady complimented me on my 40s look. Obviously my inner 40s just shines through whatever I do.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
On Saturday my husband and I headed into town to celebrate our second wedding anniversary - I wore my red swing coat belted, a black taffeta skirt with crinoline, a black halterneck top and had my hair in pin curls - all finished off with a slick of very red lipstick. When we got into town my husband couldn't get over the amount of stares I was getting from other ladies - he kept remarking on it (the coat is a very vibrant red). A homeless girl looking for change shouted to me "I LOVE your dress - I just love it - it's gorgeous!!!!!" I also overheard some ladies discussing my outfit and one said to the other "It's very different - but it's nice to be different"!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I went shopping yesterday with my ma and we walked past a café and a man sitting outside with his wife said
‘Excuse me , please take this as a compliment, paused- then said…. Hello Mum!’
We had quite a conversation about both our collections, his childhood, my hair and clothes and about how gorgeous I was- you know the usual (haha!!!) They both made my day!

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I was rather tickled that the nice man in Tractor Supply quickly came to my aide last week when I first walked through the door, asked me what I needed, led the way down the store, hefted the feed sacks into the cart and then into my truck for me...usually I do this myself, but I am thinking the vintage dress and shoes must have made an impression!
Anytime I can get a guy to haul it into the truck for me is a compliment!
(The Mister always hauls it out when I get home ;) )

Next time I'll be leaving the overalls at home, you can bank on that lol

victoriav

New in Town
swirl dress stalking

I was in good old marks and spencers food department the other week and saw, from quite some distance I have to say, a lovely brunette girl in the most splended red 50's looking house dress and mary janes. I actually gasped. And pretty much sprinted over.

I pretended to be casually checking out the peaches, but actually was just checking out her frock. I had to compliment her on it. Asked her if it was a swirl. Told her she looked lovely and then got mildly embarassed about the dress geekery and carried about my business. Pretending to prod the comestibles. This is what lurking on FL has done to me......Still I hope she liked her compliment. Even if it was rather clumsy.

Cora

New in Town
I went to a "Classic Cars and Legendary Stars" show two months or so back and I wore the dress in my avatar. (Actually, I think the picture might have been taken the same day!" For the last few years, I'd been positively dying to go, but past relationships had scoffed at my affinity for the decades long passed...So my wish finally came true this year!

After the parade, hubby and I got to linger around the beautiful cars and chat with some folks. Most of the cars were from the 80's and 90's (not quite sure how "vintage" those might be :rolleyes: ) but we managed to find some good ones! When I found the powder blue Fiesta that I'd had my eye on during the parade, I nearly screamed. The lovely older gentleman allowed me to sit in the driver's seat, said I looked the true part and belonged in the car, and after leaving, a few people asked if I worked in the show.

Needless to say, it made me blush. I work at two jobs that require uniforms, so to be complimented on my (rarely seen) style it a real treat!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Last night I went out for dinner and wore a green floral 50's dress with full crinoline and a cream embelished cardi and had my hair in pin curls - on the way to a bar a lovely couple in their late 50's stopped me and the lady complimented me on my dress - I was chuffed to bits! A few streets later two American ladies outside a bar stopped me to tell me how much they loved my dress - I thought it was so nice that they would stop a stranger in the street to compliment them!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Honey Bee said:
I was rather tickled that the nice man in Tractor Supply quickly came to my aide last week when I first walked through the door, asked me what I needed, led the way down the store, hefted the feed sacks into the cart and then into my truck for me...usually I do this myself, but I am thinking the vintage dress and shoes must have made an impression!
Anytime I can get a guy to haul it into the truck for me is a compliment!
(The Mister always hauls it out when I get home ;) )

Next time I'll be leaving the overalls at home, you can bank on that lol
Wow that is a compliment, he obviously thought you were one classy dame and couldn't be lugging all that feed around! You must have been looking lovely:eusa_clap

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
Last night I went out for dinner and wore a green floral 50's dress with full crinoline and a cream embelished cardi and had my hair in pin curls - on the way to a bar a lovely couple in their late 50's stopped me and the lady complimented me on my dress - I was chuffed to bits! A few streets later two American ladies outside a bar stopped me to tell me how much they loved my dress - I thought it was so nice that they would stop a stranger in the street to compliment them!
That's so nice when random people do that, the outfit sounds really cute!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I saw a gorgeous lady in Crystal Palace this morning wearing a beautiful dress and capelet. I was going to compliment her as we passed but then recognised her from the Lounge! All of a sudden, I freaked out and felt completely underdressed so chickened out of saying anything. How silly.

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
I was out to lunch with freinds when an older gentlemane shout out of his vintage car thunderbird don't know what year 50s" or so... said "Hey, cutie." i loved it.. too bad he wasn't my age... lol:eusa_clap

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Love reading this thread!

Lucky me, I've never had a negative *comment*--- surly and/or bewildered looks from fellow students, yes.

Today I went to this great big museum that focuses on rural life/Americana type stuff, and it was so funny-- many exhibit guides/attendants (all of whom were 60+ years old and probably long-time Vermonters) seemed to kind of latch on to me when I'd walk into an exhibit. I was wearing a brass-buttoned liberty print 50s shirtdress with a little Victorian lace collar, Remix wedges and crocheted stockings, with a ribbon in my ponytail-- I must've screamed "history nerd", ha ha.

The annoying thing for me is that a lot of people compliment me, then say, "did you get that at Urban Outfitters?" or "do you read Vogue"? Like they think I'm super fashiony, and they seem surprised when I say my dress is actually seventy years old and cost me $15 at an antique store [huh] It's mostly kids at high school/college who've mistaken me for being *gasp* trendy, though-- it's likely because they honestly don't know what people wore in "olden days". I get Audrey Hepburn comparisons a lot from middle aged people-- it's my hair and bangs, I'm sure, 'cause I look nothing like her, and I'm not just being modest. She's one of my icons, though, so I ain't complaining ;)

Marla

A-List Customer
Kate O Potato said:
I saw a gorgeous lady in Crystal Palace this morning wearing a beautiful dress and capelet. I was going to compliment her as we passed but then recognised her from the Lounge! All of a sudden, I freaked out and felt completely underdressed so chickened out of saying anything. How silly.

It should happen to me!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany