Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you Sheeplady I am happy to just leave my own comment all here fans can read it the city she works/ live in has a very very big gay pride event so I think it will get her thinking about what she said and they way she put it.

I am glad that somebody will take care of it for you. Hopefully this is an awakening for her. Some people do eventually "get it" and examine their behavior. And if not, at least maybe she'll think twice before being demeaning again.

As you said, at least she showed her true colors before she did the photoshoot or did something unscrupulous with your photos. I am sorry that you had to endure her hate.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I just think she not put too much thought into what she said or the way she said it. it's a little like I can say something about my Sisters or my Dad but if a stranger said the same I would have a go at them for saying it .

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
We have a big gay community where i live, lots of my friends, colleagues etc. At least once a day, someone, usually a colleague or acquaintance will say, "Do you know Gay Michael?, or what have you, i find it so offensive, i mean, you wouldn't say, do you know hetero Susan"? Would you? So therefore she shouldn't have made such a silly and inane comment. I do think perhaps she just didn't think, but that's no excuse however.

I'm with you, there. A stretch of Church Street in Toronto is known as the "gaybourhood," but it's ironic because in the city, people couldn't care less - a Divine impersonator could walk down the street and people wouldn't look up. I find that outside the city, though, especially in the "square" suburbs, people are more inclined to make inane comments like the ones you mentioned. They think they're being real cool and accepting, but pointing it out, especially as apart of someones identity, just makes them look silly.

I came home a little while ago from a pool hall, and one of the league players said I looked like a burlesque performer lol I was wearing 40s style VoH trousers, a plain purple shirt, a scarf in my hair, and red lips - Not quite the same as a glittering corset, but hey, I'll take it. :)

Last edited:

Esme

One of the Regulars
Oh Paul, that must have stung. I used to be a makeup artist and have done some glamour photos, head shots for actors, etc AND I just recently got a new camera. Too bad we live so far apart. I would do your photos for you and be glad to have such a sweet subject.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Oh Paul, that must have stung. I used to be a makeup artist and have done some glamour photos, head shots for actors, etc AND I just recently got a new camera. Too bad we live so far apart. I would do your photos for you and be glad to have such a sweet subject.
thank you Esme, your know from experinace a photographer shound not go around saying I am doing a CD shot or a glamour one with a female model, A general comment like " been shooting this weeking end" is OK something that gives away who the model is or style is not PC.

Louise Anne

Suspended
she mean it in a posative way by what she now put on F/B , there still was not a email from her saying she would like to have done the shoot just F/B comments
in my defence I am used to people in the past on Face Book been sarcastic with there comments!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Your so kind pitty there not more ladies like you in this world, it means however I have more money for clothes & makup etc.
Lareine I think it's sarcastic which ever way you do not post things like that about people who are paying for a photo shoot in my opinion
I said under the post I am now not interested in working with here becuse of what she put.

There is a lot more than just money that you hand over when you do a photo shoot. You're vulnerable to the photographer and trusting them completely. Paul, this woman doesn't deserve a nano second of your time or the privilege of working with you. Un-fan her (or whatever you do on Facebook) and call it a day. Don't look back. The right situation for a photo shoot will present itself in due time. In the mean time, you have a lot of supporters and admirers here in the Lounge.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Do you think she was being sarcastic? Or was she just being a bit indiscreet/naive broadcasting it on her page.

We have a big gay community where i live, lots of my friends, colleagues etc. At least once a day, someone, usually a colleague or acquaintance will say, "Do you know Gay Michael?, or what have you, i find it so offensive, i mean, you wouldn't say, do you know hetero Susan"? Would you? So therefore she shouldn't have made such a silly and inane comment. I do think perhaps she just didn't think, but that's no excuse however.

Funnily enough, in my neck of the woods people get called all sorts of names like 'gay Michael', but it's not necessarily meant in an offensive way, it's just a way of differentiating between all the other Michaels. So you get 'Fat Tony', etc.

In a club many years ago I nudged my friend and said that the really cute guy at the end of the bar was 'giving me the eye'. She told me that was highly likely as that was 'Russ Cyclops', so named because he had a glass eye!

Louise Anne

Suspended
.... The right situation for a photo shoot will present itself in due time. In the mean time, you have a lot of supporters and admirers here in the Lounge.

Thank you, it's just a waiing game.
W-D Forties, name are just names I have had a few stuipd nick name over the years like us all I expect and that's all they are,
Fairy feet was my first at school ( as I use to run on my toes) I am not too keen on been called a CD or cross dresser as people think it's about a desire to be female which it's not, I would not pull any one up here for using that as we all share the same interest in fashion or style , I undersand that and every one here I know here understands it.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/member.php?16614-W-D-Forties

user-offline.png

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Funnily enough, in my neck of the woods people get called all sorts of names like 'gay Michael', but it's not necessarily meant in an offensive way, it's just a way of differentiating between all the other Michaels. So you get 'Fat Tony', etc.

In a club many years ago I nudged my friend and said that the really cute guy at the end of the bar was 'giving me the eye'. She told me that was highly likely as that was 'Russ Cyclops', so named because he had a glass eye!

Ha ha. Although i shouldn't be laughing at the afflicted!

I know what you mean though, working in the antique trade, we have a lot of names for people too to differentiate, it just seems all the gay guys and gals are prefixed with "gay", which is a bit annoying to me.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

I think it must be an English thing! People here are so afraid of not being PC that they would never say it in that context (and that's not always a good thing.)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok I was wrong about this with my big foot in my mouth once again , I have just send an apology to her.

I understand your embarrassment, most of us thought the same thing (although a few of the smarter ones here brought up it up). I can't help but think that this (in the end) is really positive. It sounds like she might be a good women to work with.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I think it must be an English thing! People here are so afraid of not being PC that they would never say it in that context (and that's not always a good thing.)

I think it's a very northern English thing. At one time I knew several Andy's, including Gay Andy and Bandy Andy (in a band, obviously!). It's all in the context, and in this particular context it wasn't meant to be offensive and wasn't taken in that way by the people concerned, it's just one of those cultural oddities. Name calling is another matter entirely.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Ah okay! You'll have to forgive my ignorance - I've never been to England, but I watch a lot of your TV. :)
Your not at all C-Dot, 30 miles away for where I live I would have to ask what they are saying as they use word which I never heard or know the meaning of and have to ask what are you saying
Sometime it use to be my dear Grandad who saying it!.

Our TV now going down the drain so so watch it while you can lol.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
I had on some pin striped pants with suspenders and spectators and this lady told her 8 year old son I was Katy Perry. He got so excited so I just played along. :) I've gotten anything from giggles and whispers to "you look very nice"... just depends what side of town I'm on I guess. Can't really expect to dress with style and have others not notice ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen