Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I went to a new popular and very trendy club in Copenhagen this saturday, not my style though - think 'Blade' and the club in the beginning of the movie (sans blood). It is in an old meat packing plant or something and I was sticking out like a sore thumb stylewise (think guys dressed like yuppies gone boating and the girls with classic Ray Ban sunglasses with the lenses popped out, very messy bedhead hair and baggy shirts). BUT for some reason I got loads of great compliments and on several occasions guys and girls came up to me, just to say I looked positively lovely. I felt like I was treated more like a lady because of my outfit :)

Karriere Bar? lol

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss 1929 said:
The one and only time I was in San Diego, I thought people's eyes were going to fall out of their heads the way they stared. I was wearing a modern kind-of-30s-looking dress, a hat, and stockings - which in that climate probably freaked them out.

On the other hand, I hear the vintage shops there are great - maybe since no one is wearing it, it all stays in the shops?

HA! That's very true. I've had that response as well. We don't actually have very many vintage shops and they're quite small but are good.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I was wearing the most fantastic dress yesterday and got compliments from so many people! The whole pub garden came up and introduced themselves to me. It was kinda embarassing.

Thats the closest I'll ever get to celebrity. :p

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
People generally either are nice or they look at me weird.

I try to wear vintage stuff as much as I can, even to work within reason. I was wearing a late 50's wool coat with black fur and collar last week and one of the receptionist said "Are you in the theater? You have such a flair for style" which I thought was a compliment. I told her if she sees me in strange outfits they're vintage.

My DH loved it when I dressed as a USO girl for Halloween as well.

Other women have been really strange though---like they are suprised that someone would like seamed stockings and heels to work.

Mojito

One Too Many
vampygirl13 said:
People generally either are nice or they look at me weird.

I try to wear vintage stuff as much as I can, even to work within reason. I was wearing a late 50's wool coat with black fur and collar last week and one of the receptionist said "Are you in the theater? You have such a flair for style" which I thought was a compliment.

I tend to weed out the people who think I'm weird. I'll still deal with them as and when necessary, but I know that I'm not going to ever become a close and intimate friend of people who have "issues" with what I wear (which is hardly outre, anyway).

Love the theatre compliment you received - I think a little theatricality doesn't go astray in the world!

Lillemor

One Too Many
SD must be different than the San Joaquin valley. At least for social functions, church and other informal and semi-formal events, "we" were still expected to wear white/champagne/ivory/flesh toned pantyhose in the 1990s and that's not that long ago. If I chose to wear certain nicer dresses to school or into town, then I was also expected to wear at least low pumps and hose with them. No excuses! I always wore hose with evening dresses, though they could be black or navy and didn't have to be that shiny white shade that made me feel like such an old bag as a teenager.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Mojito-

Totally agree with you! If you think I'm weird, that's your business, but I'm going to keep doing my thing.

And I did love the theater compliment! I'd rather be known for my flair than not be known at all! ;)

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
My Boyfriend And I were walking

In Pasadena, and this lady stopped us and said" you guys look like your from the 1970's", well I guess at the time we so looked 1970's, Rob in his 1940's plaid shirt and I myself wearing a pair of High waisted pants and a Snood in my hair. One thing also, we both were getting out of Rob's 1946 plymouth. Poor Lady,she has her Decaded wrong.

Mojito

One Too Many
Did you gently steer her in the direction of the right decade, Miss 1940s? lol

I had a lovely night last night - we had a big exhibition opening, and I drifted a bit from my usual time frame to wear a nice 30s dress appropriate for such a function. My colleagues loved it, as did the various figures from the museums and scientific world to whom I spoke. One, visiting CEO of a major overseas museum, was fascinated by the whole subject of vintage, and (punctuating his remarks with "I hope it's not too personal to ask...") quizzed me about various aspects of the dress and about wearing vintage in general, and was joined in the conversation by one of our visiting scientists. Spoke to some fascinating people in the scientific field that relates to the exhibition (one in which I'm interested), and as we were all leaving I was approached by a couple who said (again) "I hope you don't mind us saying so, but we *love* your dress! Is it antique? We've been admiring it all evening!" - had a very pleasant chat with them on the way out.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Mojito said:
Spoke to some fascinating people in the scientific field that relates to the exhibition (one in which I'm interested)

You go girl! :eusa_clap You could make anyone weak in the knees ;)

Today a group of teenage boys looked my way and one started singing "If I could turn back time" lol Being a huge fan of musicals, I don't mind making people sing.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Of coures I did, I am a lady after All. I have to correct when I feel its worth being corrected.
Mojito said:
Did you gently steer her in the direction of the right decade, Miss 1940s? lol

I had a lovely night last night - we had a big exhibition opening, and I drifted a bit from my usual time frame to wear a nice 30s dress appropriate for such a function. My colleagues loved it, as did the various figures from the museums and scientific world to whom I spoke. One, visiting CEO of a major overseas museum, was fascinated by the whole subject of vintage, and (punctuating his remarks with "I hope it's not too personal to ask...") quizzed me about various aspects of the dress and about wearing vintage in general, and was joined in the conversation by one of our visiting scientists. Spoke to some fascinating people in the scientific field that relates to the exhibition (one in which I'm interested), and as we were all leaving I was approached by a couple who said (again) "I hope you don't mind us saying so, but we *love* your dress! Is it antique? We've been admiring it all evening!" - had a very pleasant chat with them on the way out.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I haven't been dressing vintage, but I've slowly been incorporating the look via my hair for the past month or so.
While a select few appreciate it, at work I've gotten various responses about how I look like Aunt Jemima (my Rosie do) and Heidi (rolled bangs, rolled sides, and braids).

I plan on continuing, of course, with more vintage touches to my wardrobe and exploring even more hair styling options from the 1930s and 1940s.

:eek:fftopic: Miss 1940's, I see you are from Tucson. I lived there for almost five years. Just moved up north a year ago. Still many roots and happy memories from down South. I got my MA from UofA (married at the time, my ex was a PhD student in astronomy/astrophysics).

Okay, back on topic. I plan on going shopping this weekend and dropping by some antique stores. There was one young lady in my town, who is currently studying in Italy, that epitomizes vintage style and class. She's really young, about 16, but she embraces the 1930s and 40s like no other around here. I worked with her sister and she always came in after school looking so lovely and classy. Such a wonderful thing for a young lady considering I've seen so many girls who barely wear anything nowadays. I always admire her style. She commands respect at such a young age.

Mojito

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
You go girl! :eusa_clap You could make anyone weak in the knees ;)

Today a group of teenage boys looked my way and one started singing "If I could turn back time" lol Being a huge fan of musicals, I don't mind making people sing.
Thanks, Cherry Lips - with blushes! They were such a good group of people, too - museum folk and scientists, a wonderful combination.

Those teenage boys must have appreciated your good grace and humour with their singing tribute.

Miss 1940s, I'm sure you corrected them with deft grace - there's always room to learn, and I'd be fascianted if I was speaking to someone immersed in the style of a decade with which I wasn't familiar.

DaisyWilde, I'd love to some photos of your hair experiments - have you posted them anywhere on the lounge? Good luck with the weekend shopping.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
From my Music Pastor yesterday...

I had to go up to his office to talk Easter costuming and props (I'm also in the choir under his direction) and I had just finished up Ladies Bible study in a nearby room. I had on this outfit:
359518270.jpg

He cracked a BIG grin, and asked me "WHERE are you going TODAY?" I said, "I was just at Ladies Bible study!" He then said, "You look like you are going to have tea on the Titanic!"

(I think he may have meant the Queen Mary...)

About the vintage gear in general, he has said no (vintage) HATS on stage for singing with the choir on Sunday mornings, but the furs are okay with him, if I love Jesus!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
About the vintage gear in general, he has said no (vintage) HATS on stage for singing with the choir on Sunday mornings

awww your Music Pastor only likes furs but not hats? what a shame ... hats are so cute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred