Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Nah, not even close. I'm the supreme thread killer around here. lol Welcome to the Lounge!!! It's actually not as expensive a habit as it seems at first, if you don't mind settling for vintage inspired pieces, rather than full vintage. I've bought two of my favorite dresses from Goodwill for $5 total. :)

PS

A-List Customer
I seem to be getting "Fancy" a lot. I took my son for his kindergarten entrance exam today and all the children in attendance at the school passed by saying I was a fancy lady. Same as last week at the movies in a swirl dress.
His teacher did comment on how fashionable I am and how stylish I am.
Which around here is not stylish, I am in Steeler country. Lots of team logo apparel in these parts and I stick out like a sore thumb.

nostalgic

New in Town
Helysoune, thanks for replying! I'm definitely going to have to start haunting the Goodwill's around here. I'll let you keep your title, btw ;)

To keep it on topic:
As for comments when I dress vintage (i.e. hair and makeup only), a female coworker was sweet enough to tell me I looked like Judy Garland with my hair twisted. Unfortunately my male coworker proceeded to say, "oh, you don't look like her, WHY would you want to look like her?!" :eusa_doh:
I love Judy Garland, btw, my mom had a big thing for the Wizard of Oz.

Edited to replay to PS: it's stylish no matter where you are!

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
nostalgic said:
Unfortunately my male coworker proceeded to say, "oh, you don't look like her, WHY would you want to look like her?!" :eusa_doh:
I love Judy Garland, btw, my mom had a big thing for the Wizard of Oz.

Ooh, that gets me! I think it's funny how some people (like your male co-worker) operate under the mistaken idea that other people dress to please them. I think many of us here who dress vintage or vintage-inspired do so because it makes us happy, and damned what other people say or think! ;)

This conversation happens soooo often:
"Why are you so dressed up?"
"Because it makes me happy." *wide, conversation-ending smile*

evelyns-niece

New in Town
love this thread

I love reading this thread -- I don't dress vintage, but I love vintage clothes. I truly believe men appreciate a feminine looking woman in modest attire.

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
evelyns-niece said:
I love reading this thread -- I don't dress vintage, but I love vintage clothes. I truly believe men appreciate a feminine looking woman in modest attire.

Yeah, I think so too, I get far more appreciating looks when i dress vintage then when I dress like everybody else. And my husband tells me I look nice more often now ;)

And everybody I talk too tells me or my closest how nice I look nowadays, with the hair, and my dresses.

zendy

A-List Customer
I had an odd amount of compliments today. Even my professor told me I looked adorable as soon as I walked in the room. I don't get it. I guess I'm vintagey today, but far less than usual. It was bicycle riding weather, so I wore a red and white polka dot bandana, a black shirt and my side button high waisted pants with Chuck Taylors. I think I might start going for this vintage casual look more often if it keeps the compliments coming.[huh]

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
I was getting ready to do some shoppng earlier, wearing a blue and gray plaid A-line skirt, a white cotton blouse, a grey cropped cardigan and tan mary jane heels, with my hair in rolls and Chelsea Red lipstick, and while sitting on the stool trying to button the shoes, my husband, who is BTW, totally non-retro and have no fashion sense what so ever, told me I looked like a pinup girl. Whic is a compliment for me, specially when is from him. ;)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
dgenevieve said:
This conversation happens soooo often:
"Why are you so dressed up?"
"Because it makes me happy." *wide, conversation-ending smile*

That's what I get all the time at my office, home of Gap and J Crew things like that. I wear a Lanz sundress on a sweltering day because it's so comfy and people ask me if I'm going to party.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Ladies :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You deserve a hand.

I wore as close to vintage as I had today to school (flash back day for spirit week)

I got asked if I was a substitute teacher [huh]
told my hair was "creepy"
asked if I felt old
asked if it was because of Patrick Swayze
sang Grease at
asked if I was "Sandy"
asked if it was the 80's or 70's :eusa_doh:
only one person correctly said World War.... even closely.
oh, and if I was asked once, I was asked a hundred times "Are those bowling shoes?" about my saddle shoes.

Then at work I had some guy just stare at me while I repeatedly asked him what cheese he wanted on his sandwich (hat covering my victory rolls and polo as per uniform) and he stammered out "eyelash" then hurried and said "they're weird...but in a good way, they're nice..." talking about my Cateyeliner (which I wear everyday actually)

Then there were some good comments

"see, why don't people dress like that anymore" from a male teacher
"I bet this hallway hasn't seen that style in....wow."
and countless " I love your hair! how'd you do it?"
and one priceless look from an older gentleman who just stared as I walked in and then shook his head as if to snap himself out of it and said a shaky "hi" as he continued to stare. It was adorable. Just made me day :D
you girls who do this every day, I applaud you!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol, we certainly aren't the best generation, and I'll be the first one to say so.

but It wasn't too bad, most of those comments weren't malicious, just uneducated. The whole day made me happy looking like that :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
I was out for the first time in a week yesterday after tonsil removal because I needed to have some blood tests re-taken after some technical glitch at the lab. I don't have the energy yet to do anything with my look but I'm experimenting with less modern/retro combinations and more in-era-combinations fx. 1920s/1950s like yesterday.

I was in a black retro 1920s dress, retro late 1950s style 3/4 sleeved short jacket, I had a combination of retro 1920s-50s jewelry on and the colors of the jewelry was coordinated; ivory/black/pale blue. I wore flat mary jane's with black knee highs over leggings for the appearance of stockings and for comfort. Of course no make-up because I'm not willing to gamble with my skin until my allergy situation has been sorted. I wore a knit hat that matched the jewelry colors, just center parted my hair and tucked it under my jacket for a faux bob look.

In the waiting room little curious ladies kept looking at my jewelry, knit hat and jacket and their eyes just went up and down. After my blood tests one of them said: "Well, now it's my turn after that little lady there".:)

On the way back from my gp/doc an elderly man stopped in front of me, found his balance and said: "I wasn't sure if it was the sun or you who blinded me".

I couldn't reply because I still can't talk much and my lip was some how busted during surgery but I tried to smile. I'm flattered that he thought I was worth the trouble.lol

Inky

One Too Many
As it seems we all run into comments of varying degrees, I found this blog post over at Already Pretty very appropriate and timely. I am preparing for our monthly blues shows/dancing and I always get remarks on my attire, usually good, lots of stares, but this will help me this season:

http://www.alreadypretty.com/2009/09/reader-request-defending-dressing.html

I hope you all find it useful too :) it's worth the read.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday afternoon, I went for a walk through the University of Toronto's downtown campus with a student friend. I was wearing victory rolls, a white eyelet lace corseted top, and my favourite sailor pencil skirt: Full pin up attire. ;)

U of T students are notoriously "fighting the system," so nearly none of them dress nicely. I got a lot of stares and catty comments - but a few professors smiled!

We left the campus for Queen St, where people were much more appreciative. One guy on a bicycle gave me a huge grin, so I winked at him, and he actually ran into a fence! It was just like a movie! lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I certainly agree. In a modern world of overexposed female flesh, modest clothing such as vintage is, well... refreshing. I think lots of women that wear women's clothes but they don't look feminine in them, does that make sense?

I think men are pleasantly surprised and delighted to see vintage clothing on a lady, and the other ladies I find are amazed by the clothes, hats et all too.

Vintage clothing of the 20s, 30s and 40s is so fabulous in style and so beautifully made, especially the 30s and 40s (my favorite decades for vintage fashion, that fit my figure best)there was such glamour in that time period even in everyday clothes. The women's clothes (and the men's clothes too!) were/are just- sigh... lovely and gorgeous!

I really love the feminine look of the ladies clothes, the hair, the hats and all the accessories. For me personally, it is a joyful and FUN experience wearing vintage!

evelyns-niece said:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I did. I and the entire family (yes, my husband and our 13yo son and 15yo daughter wear vintage too), have fallen in love with it all hook, line and sinker- right Miss 1929? Don't believe me, check out my recent pics here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=868006#post868006 We've become complete converts to vintage clothing/style. One of the best things we've done...

Miss 1929 said:
Try it. You'll like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis