Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
I was completely unprepared for work this morning and hadnt done my hair. I have a jaw length bob, which was just down, with a pretty bow clip on the side.

I got so many comments at work today along the lines of "Oh no, you havent done your hair" or other such disapproving tones and comments. Hahaha. The pressure is on!!!!

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I'm so excited! I got my first bad comment about my clothes! My friend and I were at the yearly fair in my town and we were walking down the path and some girl called out "Isn't that dress a little old?" as we passed by. My friend was muttering about how she wanted to punch her. I just kept going though. It really didn't bother me to be honest. I feel sorry for her, her life must be pretty miserable if she yells out rude uncalled for comments to complete strangers. It was actually kind of funny though, because the dress was new, but if it looked old it means I'm doing good with the vintage look. :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I was thinking about this yesterday. Not long after my husband called me Dame Edna (he hasn't seen my cat's eye sunglasses before).

Anyway, I have a new hypothesis about these people who call out things to strangers: They have noticed you and they can't bear the imbalance of power. You are more important in their universe than they are in yours, because they've hardly even impinged on your consciousness. So they force you to notice them, sharply, and in that way regain the upper hand.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Puzzicato
Anyway, I have a new hypothesis about these people who call out things to strangers: They have noticed you and they can't bear the imbalance of power. You are more important in their universe than they are in yours, because they've hardly even impinged on your consciousness. So they force you to notice them, sharply, and in that way regain the upper hand.

That's interesting. I never thought about it that way.

I realized it may sound strange to say I was excited about a bad comment. I'm not sure why, I suppose because people just stare and don't usually anything. Plus I've never got a bad comment before so it was a rather interesting experience.

swinggal

One Too Many
Kiri said:
I'm so excited! I got my first bad comment about my clothes! My friend and I were at the yearly fair in my town and we were walking down the path and some girl called out "Isn't that dress a little old?" as we passed by. My friend was muttering about how she wanted to punch her. I just kept going though. It really didn't bother me to be honest. I feel sorry for her, her life must be pretty miserable if she yells out rude uncalled for comments to complete strangers. It was actually kind of funny though, because the dress was new, but if it looked old it means I'm doing good with the vintage look. :)

It's amazing really. I mean, I wouldn't yell out 'Gee aren't those hipsters a little young for you?" or "Gee you look awful in that". I may think it, for sure - but i won't yell it out at people. It's bizarre that people feel a need to belittle those who don't dress the way they do loudly. You are right Puzz - but we keep the upper hand by just smiling and walking on.

I find it's always girls and women that sneer. As I've said before, men seem to appreciate the femininity. They are seem fascinated by what they can't see which infuriates their women even more. I mean jeez, most young girls leave nothing to the imagination anymore so someone in seamed stockings and a dress that shows off curves but reveals nothing but be a change for them!

Example: I've been in bars swing dancing in an a-line skirt that lifts above my knee when I spin to reveal seamed stockings an maybe a tiny glimpse of stocking top and suspender in a turn, and the non dancing guys in the place are mesmerised - and yet they have a girlfriend next to them (or other women around) who have the shortest, tightest dresses imaginable on with boobs hanging out everywhere - and yet they watch fully dress gal's legs with the seamed stockings on. It's fascinating and the women they are with HATE it. You can see it in their face, 'But I'm almost naked for you, why aren't staring at me??'

Funny :)

stillsparkling

New in Town
I usually just get weird looks, or people simply stare at me. A few times I've also gotten "why are you so dressed up?" but it really doesn't bother me because I dress how I want. If that doesn't suit them, then that's their problem.

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Puzzicato said:
I was thinking about this yesterday. Not long after my husband called me Dame Edna (he hasn't seen my cat's eye sunglasses before).

That's an incredibly universal hypothesis and I love it! It rings true to me & makes sense! That energy imbalance makes them panic, so an insult is the quickest way to try and re balance it! Love your work Puzzi!!

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
I love dressing vintage, to me modern women are so lazy.... they can take time for them sevles its laways abouting rush, rush, I know we have our own lives too and things might get crazy inthat life but geez time some time out for yourselfs . I love taking "time" on my hair, makeup ect even if I have to just go to the store or aruond town or to work...

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by swinggal
I find it's always girls and women that sneer. As I've said before, men seem to appreciate the femininity. They are seem fascinated by what they can't see which infuriates their women even more. I mean jeez, most young girls leave nothing to the imagination anymore so someone in seamed stockings and a dress that shows off curves but reveals nothing but be a change for them!

I know! I regularly get compliments from men, especially ones in their 50's or older. But rarely from women. Especially the teenage girls. It's nearly always rude stares from them.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Yup, I visit a lot of English Heritage properties, which are largely run by retired volunteers. My boyfriend is now used to heading off without me whilst the little old ladies talk to me about how they used to have a dress like mine. And you should see the joy in their faces when they realise I'm wearing a petticoat!

swinggal

One Too Many
Kate O Potato said:
Yup, I visit a lot of English Heritage properties, which are largely run by retired volunteers. My boyfriend is now used to heading off without me whilst the little old ladies talk to me about how they used to have a dress like mine. And you should see the joy in their faces when they realise I'm wearing a petticoat!

It's lovely. I've actually had a lady in her 80s give me a lovely 30s hat and hand bag and some vintage sewing notions because she knew "I would appreciate it". I met her after we (The Perth Swing Dance Society) did a Lindy Hop performance in a nursing home one Xmas. She said her children didn't care about her things and she was afraid they would thrown them in the bin.

She was lovely and I promised to take good care of the things she gave me.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Kate O Potato said:

I had a similar experience at a coffee shop recently.
A pair of ladies sort of squealed when I confirmed I was wearing a petticoat.
:)

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
It's lovely. I've actually had a lady in her 80s give me a lovely 30s hat and hand bag and some vintage sewing notions because she knew "I would appreciate it". I met her after we (The Perth Swing Dance Society) did a Lindy Hop performance in a nursing home one Xmas. She said her children didn't care about her things and she was afraid they would thrown them in the bin.

She was lovely and I promised to take good care of the things she gave me.

How sweet!I think many older ladies feel that way. I know that I have collected some things that I would hate to seen thrwn away r tossed in a box somewhere. I would also want to see some one enjoy them :)

Veronica

New in Town
I always have a little bit of retro style in my clothing : a vintage purse or a scarf, repro skirt, or simply a retro hair do.
The first time I went out in full retro/vintage style, it was for a first date. A man said to me "You are magnifique". I was so surprised that I could only say "Thanks".
Then I felt like Super Jamie : If an unknown guy found I was "magnifique", then the man who was waiting for me had no chance to resist...;)

My problem is with make up : I have prominent lips (that I am very happy with) but each time I wear a darker shade of lipstick (=other than light pink or neutral), I have very bads coments from my friends and family. Wearing red lipstick has become a fight... I do not know if the problem comes from me ( the shade does'nt fit my skin tone) or from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails