Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
I actually got told off at work today for *not* dressing vintage. I merely wasn't in the mood to wear lipstick or curly may hair in my usual way LOL. My bosses reasoning? I look more alive when I have my hair and lipstick done properly.

No more getting up 30min later for work then :( :D

Drappa

One Too Many
I recently got my husband a bakerboy cap, and he always dresses pretty smart anyway, but it makes him look a little vintage. Today I was wearing a Trashy Diva circle dress with two petticoats, patent belt, two-tone heels and vintage bag and he wore his new hat and we went into Chichester for the afternoon. Two sales girls in a jewellery shop asked where I got my dress and remarked that it swirled so nicely, while an old lady stopped in the middle of the road to turn and look at me while I walked past. When I was looking at clothes in an expensive boutique where I can't really afford a belt, a lady asked me if I had another size and when I replied that I didn't work there she got really flustered and stammered something about me looking so... and that it was really a compliment and left.
Finally we went into a pastie shop for a snack and the lady behind the counter said she loved our style, that my dress was stunning and asked whether we had a vintage sportscar outside to complete the look. Hubby was really happy, as he's used to me getting stopped but not people including him. :)

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
The other day, i got a complament by another lady she said I'd be perfect for a 50's diner thats opening up in my area! perfect cuase i'm out on the job hunt! =)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Yesterday, while out browsing the new antique mall in town, a middle aged gentleman working there told me I looked like a young Claire Bloom. I was wearing a red plaid skirt suit, with a very simple hair-do, pics of which may be found on the Hair-dos thread. I'm not sure I see it, but as she was quite lovely, I was very flattered. It's also the first time anyone has ever actually said anything to me, though I am fairly new to the vintage scene.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Before or after is was wrecked? ;)

That's what I was thinking!

I was out for dinner last night with my husband and wore my leopard print Gigi Young dress with a crinoline and a girl in the Ladies said she loved my dress and asked me where I got it - I told her all about Etsy and that she might end up with a shopping obsession with the place - just like me.

.....maybe she's already maxed out her card!

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I haven't tried dressing in a vintage style properly yet but I put my hair in hot rollers and pinned them up last night. I tried to style it this morning and I must have gone really wrong somewhere as a work colleague said "was THAT deliberate?" while pointing at my hair! It was super fluffy though.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
went out for our anniversary with the hubby and some friends this weekend, and i was wearing a black pencil skirt with an emerald green cardigan my hair was swweping over my eye (ala veronica lake and one side was pulled up with a peacock feather clip and i was told i look like lois lane Huh?? i thought that was a little strange.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's what I was thinking!

I was out for dinner last night with my husband and wore my leopard print Gigi Young dress with a crinoline and a girl in the Ladies said she loved my dress and asked me where I got it - I told her all about Etsy and that she might end up with a shopping obsession with the place - just like me.

.....maybe she's already maxed out her card!

Probably! I bet you looked a million dollars Miss G and i hope you had a great evening.

Jessegirl - Lois lane??? I guess we have to resign ourselves to the fact people who aren't into vintage have limited points of reference! I got Cruella de Ville once because i was wearing a white fur jacket and black gloves!! (I took it as a compliment, sort of)!

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Exactly miss sophia, we are all either marilyn monroe, betty boop, or dita and now i guess lois lane hahaha, wow cruella deville is a new one too, but i would have taken it as a compliment as well.;)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
People keep telling me they like my "look"; nothing specific, just "great look!". I guess that's nice.
Recently a teacher told me I looked like a 1940s art student: her reasoning was that I was "from a different era, but with an eccentric twist". It was one of the nicest comments I've ever gotten, just because she seemed to get this whole story from my outfit.
Then I got called a flapper by another teacher when I was wearing full 50s vintage with cat eye liner...:rolleyes:

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
People keep telling me they like my "look"; nothing specific, just "great look!". I guess that's nice.
Recently a teacher told me I looked like a 1940s art student: her reasoning was that I was "from a different era, but with an eccentric twist". It was one of the nicest comments I've ever gotten, just because she seemed to get this whole story from my outfit.

Love that!

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
Have been in London since Monday, so I have ventured out in a hat that normally I wouldn’t wear at home -due to being such a small place, and most people knowing of me! I have been so surprised at not being laughed at, and have had such uplifting comments such as...’ ‘She’s so amazing’ and ‘she’s Gorgeous’! :eek: Blimey, I’ve never had such flattery before, and these came from such well dressed ladies too- young and old! Ok, I still had the funny looks- but who cares when you have been called gorgeous and amazing!:D
I would love to wear hats but I'm a bit timid about it (apart from the fact I haven't mastered how to do 'hat hair') - maybe I just need to take the plunge!

Hell's Belle

New in Town
The best compliment I ever received was that I reminded a cousin of a younger Aunt La (my grandmother). I was honored and elated!
FamilyScans.jpg

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I would love to wear hats but I'm a bit timid about it (apart from the fact I haven't mastered how to do 'hat hair') - maybe I just need to take the plunge!

Ha! That has just reminded me of when I was a teenager (way) back in the 80's. I often dressed fairly vintage then too, and staying at my best friends aunties in the summer hols I went out in a black and while 50's dress with a very large black straw hat, bag and gloves, with black kitten heeled shoes. I think the whole town stopped and stared as we walked down the street and I got asked if I was going to a fancy dress party every 5 minutes! Mind you, Ebbw Vale in the South Wales valleys wasn't the most cosmopolitan place in the 80's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot