Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
A friend of mine was sitting on the train last week. We both wore 50's shirtwaist dresses though hers was red and mine blue. We are similar in height and build, but we are not particulary alike. She has long red hair in bangs and I wore my brown hair curled with a side parting. The conductor asked us if we were sisters, and later returned to insist that we must be twins. I doubt that he would have thought that if we hadn't happen to choose the same vintage style that day when it came to dressing.

I used to get that *all* the time when working different events, doing dance performances or attending heritage events in Norwegian folk costume. My best friend was often with me and we had very similar looking bunads, long brown hair, glasses and a bevy of younger siblings who were similarly attired - and all with brown hair. We got asked if we were twins (or if any of our little siblings were twins) or if we were all siblings. The same thing happens often with other friends when we're out in similar situations similarly attired.

I guess I got used to it. The people that assumed that we were twins were often elderly and well meaning, looking for a conversation peice. I have fond memories of old ladies in nursing homes cooing over our very long french braids! Sometimes, though, it did get obnoxious!

Last edited:

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Today I was covering an event celebrating my city in 1911 and I got lots of funny comments. I was told i looked 20s, 40s and 50s, that my hair looked so nice it had to be a wig (I took that as a compliment) and had a nice chat with some older ladies about the pains they went through for beauty in the 40s and 50s. It was a nice to have so many compliments on my birthday :-D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Just a cute comment I get from time to time:

"You remind me of the 50s!"

lol I wasn't even wearing vintage clothing that day (jeans and girl-T) and I had my hair in a fingerwave. I guess my cat's eyes glasses are what does it :)

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I got two compliments on my dress a couple of days ago, it was just funny because they came from such unexpected people... the first was a young guy, about 17 years old and the other was an old alcoholic/addict woman of about 60/70, she walked up to me and shouted in my ear "nice dress!", she really made me jump!

Drappa

One Too Many
I wore a dress I made to a friend's wedding yesterday with a matching half hat and my hair actually done in a wet set, which is a rare occasion for me. People came up to me all day to tell me they loved my look, two people told me they had been talking to their friends about how great I looked, the groom said he loved my dress, another friend told me I shoud make and sell dresses, and my highlight: a lady came up to me a second time after complimenting my dress, to tell me my hair looked like Dita. I am utterly rubbish at doing my hair, so it made me really happy.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I went antiquing today, and I was in "vintage inspired". Pin curls, a hat, and capris. A 70's-80 year old gentleman using a scooter was coming into the shop, so I asked if wanted my arm coming up the steps. He declined, but he asked if my mother was alive. [huh]. I said yes, and he told me to call her and let her know her daughter not only knew how to dress, but also had "beautiful" manners.

I'm still cooing on the inside! Should've asked if he had grandsons.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I went antiquing today, and I was in "vintage inspired". Pin curls, a hat, and capris. A 70's-80 year old gentleman using a scooter was coming into the shop, so I asked if wanted my arm coming up the steps. He declined, but he asked if my mother was alive. [huh]. I said yes, and he told me to call her and let her know her daughter not only knew how to dress, but also had "beautiful" manners.

I'm still cooing on the inside! Should've asked if he had grandsons.

How sweet!

Amie

One of the Regulars
I've gotten some mean comments actually.

Anyways, my vintage style isn't very strict, so I like to mix it up with modern elements or add some darker undertones, but it seems like sometimes when you dress "fashionably" or make a strong statement when it comes to style, some people can't take it. I get compliments frequently from peers and people who know me, but I've had incidents where the cleaning ladies at the place I work in kept calling me names, mostly in their language and it would happen more when I would wear my more dark/Victorian inspired stuff. It was not nice and it got to the point I had to make a complaint about one of them.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Wearing vintage workwear, particularly a flat cap, I tend to get a lot of 'flying column' jokes. 'Off to shoot some tans are we?' etc, etc. I tried switching to a beret for a while, but then got inundated with 'viva la quinta brigada' and other Spanish Civil War references. All in good fun though, at least my mates are quite educated.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wearing vintage workwear, particularly a flat cap, I tend to get a lot of 'flying column' jokes. 'Off to shoot some tans are we?' etc, etc. I tried switching to a beret for a while, but then got inundated with 'viva la quinta brigada' and other Spanish Civil War references. All in good fun though, at least my mates are quite educated.

I was going to say, for "negative" comments, you sure get some amazing historical context! If you have to take verbal abuse, I suppose it's best for it to be erudite!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
A week or so ago I was leaving a pub, and just as I was to step out of the bar area a man (60’s?) got up and said ‘excuse me, I just had to tell you that I love your look … I have been admiring you all evening….. Perfection!’ (He had too as I overheard him talking about me to some other people about my hair and how people used to look). It was a little embarrassing though as it was right next to the bar, and all who seemed to be locals turned around- ahhhhh.
Anyway apart from the embarrassment it made my day… well, until I went to the powder room (haha) and saw how bad my skin and hair looked after a day of being weathered by the coastal winds! ::eusa_doh:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Not quite a compliment as such, but more of a public reaction... I took my Dad out to see the Glenn Miller orchestra last night (which was awesome beyone words by the way!). I wore a 50s-style navy blue button down dress (classic sundress-type shape), with a pair of vintage shoes and my aurora borealis necklace. I went full-on with my makeup and made a real effort to do a 50s-style set, and as we walked through the bar area of the venue, I swear every single head turned as I went past. Not sure whether it made me feel like a star, or just horribly self-conscious... :rolleyes:

I have to say, though, I'm sadly used to people staring at me as though I've got three heads when I go out, and for someone who's always struggled with confidence, it doesn't half get me down sometimes. I love my vintage style and am proud of it, but sometimes I just want to go out of the house without having people gawp at me :(

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to say, though, I'm sadly used to people staring at me as though I've got three heads when I go out

..here's to that one!

Yesterday evening (while innocently clubbing) a man approached me, and took his phone out. "Look" he said to me "..I've took a photo of you"
I stared at his mobile, at him..
"Got facebook?" he asked
I've opened my mouth, took air and said just "GO AWAY!"

No shame!
Just because technology enables us to have phones with camera, it does not gives us right to snap a pic of whatever (or WHOever) we want to, without permission.
I have NO idea who that man was. (And, frankly, I have no interest in finding out)..
..but the "Got facebook" was the peak of my evening.
Even IF i HAD it.. no way I'm just giving MY NAME away like that..

Some people know no limits or shame. :(

..and I look nice yesterday! lol

Drappa

One Too Many
People have taken pictures of me before, but the normally don't show them to me, they try to do it secretly. It is very rude!

Yesterday, after a walk with the dog and picking blackberries, I was covered in stains from the berries and my hair was a total mess. We went into a shop to get some bread, and at the checkout one of the girls working there came running up to me to tell me I looked great and to ask where I got my circle skirt. She said she had a "50s thing to go to" and didn't know where to get the clothes. My husband just laughs and says there isn't day that goes by without someone approaching me about my clothes. Generally it's been positive lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy