Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've got an ethical problem with telling an adult they can't wear something solely because of their age. I can see establishments letting or not letting people in based upon their dress, but age shouldn't be a factor in that dress code. Now, of course, dance clubs are notrious for picking and choosing who they let in, and telling people because it is due to the dress code, when the underlying factor is looks, race, gender, age, or whatever they want.

I'd never be able to bare my body like that, but if a 20-year old can walk down the street like that, then an 80 year old should be able to do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with an aging body, despite what society tells us.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I've got an ethical problem with telling an adult they can't wear something solely because of their age. I can see establishments letting or not letting people in based upon their dress, but age shouldn't be a factor in that dress code. Now, of course, dance clubs are notrious for picking and choosing who they let in, and telling people because it is due to the dress code, when the underlying factor is looks, race, gender, age, or whatever they want.

I'd never be able to bare my body like that, but if a 20-year old can walk down the street like that, then an 80 year old should be able to do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with an aging body, despite what society tells us.

I'm with you on this. We need to get over judgment of people showing bodies that we don't find pleasing. Who the hell are we to tell them they can't wear this or that? If the 80 year old wants to wear that dress, right on.

Miss DeWitt

New in Town
I don't dress in full vintage yet. My typical look is reddish lips and mascara, with a blouse and around knee-length skirt (silk Enwrapture Vintage skirts are the best!)
I often get asked if I am very religious (which I'm actually not), and I think it is due to the longer skirts. It's a little awkward, because these are always people I don't know at all! Does anyone else get this response when dressed semi-vintage?

Flicka

One Too Many
Something funny happened the other day; one of my (female) colleagues said something about 'your short skirts'. Eh? My skirts are practically always way below the knee. I may have one or two that ends at the knee but never shorter. But I think the fact that I dress in skirts at all, not to mention heels, somehow translated to 'short skirts' in her mind.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Last night I was heading out to dinner with my husband - I had on a R&K Originals LBD, black kitten heels and my hair in an up do - my daughter (who is not quite 2 years old) looked and me and said "Audrey" - well I was shocked and I must say very pleased at the same time!

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
One of my co-workers just told me I look like I stepped out of a movie. And on the way into the office, a relatively new co-worker told me she likes that I dress up and don't wear jeans all the time, even though that's perfectly acceptable in our office.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I actually got pointed and laughed at today while doing the grocery shopping. That hasn't happened to me since I was in high school and wore a shaved head and Doc Marten boots.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I’ve very rarely been laughed at in public (It’s usually just stares, double takes and maybe a hint of a snigger!) but I remember one time feeling really belittled by a group of younger girls- this coming from a girl that never usually take such things to heart. I was named a ‘sick joke’, and all I could do was bear-stare at them back, smirk and walk away. (really, you should have seen what they were wearing… and they thought it apt to mock me!)
Luckily for me, my feelings were up lifted that very same day when I got a lovely compliment form my great uncle- swings and roundabouts- to every bad comment or situation there are usually two or three more compliments!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I actually got pointed and laughed at today while doing the grocery shopping. That hasn't happened to me since I was in high school and wore a shaved head and Doc Marten boots.

Urgh. I had some high school aged girls do this when I was out to eat several months ago. They actually sat in a booth not too far away and pointed and laughed. The waitress gave them a dirty look, I think even she found it annoying.

I've got to ask though- for those who are out with their male signifcant other, do men not notice these things? When I mentioned it my husband afterwards (admitedly, his back was towards them) he couldn't believe it. If it hadn't been for the pointing (who the heck points at somebody?) I would have assumed they were just being high school girls and laughing at something else.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've got to ask though- for those who are out with their male signifcant other, do men not notice these things?.
In this case, it was the man who pointed me out to his female companion. Then they both laughed. I'm not even very costume-y today, just a sheath dress and very modern looking Mary Jane heels.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
It's terribly sad, but it seems that some people just genuinely have no manners. We should pity them as they will no doubt be on the recieving end one day.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's terribly sad, but it seems that some people just genuinely have no manners. We should pity them as they will no doubt be on the recieving end one day.

I often wonder if people who act this way have already been on the receiving end badly enough to impact their personality - for example, if they were bullied often as a child - and they feel they need to take it out on others. It's the only reason I can think of for someone doing this (not that it excuses it).

Flicka

One Too Many

I remember one time when I was flying and my bag had been pushed far back into the overhead compartment by the bags of two costume-clad gentlemen. Since I'm 5'2'' I couldn't reach it, so I turned to one of them and asked if he could please help me. He just shrugged it off and said: "I bet you can reach it if you just try a little harder."

So I took off my shoes, climbed onto the seat and got it out. Getting down, I glared at him and said as haughtily as I could: "Well, I suppose not everyone has had the benefit of a good upbringing!"

There really is a country called Passive-Agressiva, and I am its queen. :D

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I remember one time when I was flying and my bag had been pushed far back into the overhead compartment by the bags of two costume-clad gentlemen. Since I'm 5'2'' I couldn't reach it, so I turned to one of them and asked if he could please help me. He just shrugged it off and said: "I bet you can reach it if you just try a little harder."

Blimey - how rude! If either of my boys said that (or wouldn't help anyone who needed it, regardless of their sex), I would be aghast! It's not rocket science, just basic manners.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I often wonder if people who act this way have already been on the receiving end badly enough to impact their personality - for example, if they were bullied often as a child - and they feel they need to take it out on others. It's the only reason I can think of for someone doing this (not that it excuses it).

I think you may be right. There does seem to be a culture of casual cruelness, praticularly amongst teenager. Actually, I think there always has been, it was almost impossible to do everything 'right' to fit in when I was a teenager too. That's what made me go the 'other way' really, in looks anyway. But even when I was a punk, goth, biker, whatever, I always had tolerance towards anyone different to myself and more importantly .....manners!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It's the only reason I can think of for someone doing this (not that it excuses it).
In this case, I was clearly the outsider, so maybe they felt comfortable. In my grocery store, I am typically one of the few people (customer and staff) who speak English and I notice that I tend to be ignored alot. Maybe they were making fun of the white chick rather than making fun of the lady dressed oddly.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bullying is a learned behavior, and sadly, I think a lot of young people learn bullying from their parents, who bullied them. The kids then grow up to bully other children and then other adults, because bullying is the only way of interacting with others that they know.

So, I think it's less that they were bullied heavily (except for by their parents or others when very very young) and more that this is all they know how to do. I had two friends in school who were bullied severely in the cruelest of ways and they are the nicest people I know. I think the idea of them bullying others' would make them physically sick.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars

So I took off my shoes, climbed onto the seat and got it out. Getting down, I glared at him and said as haughtily as I could: "Well, I suppose not everyone has had the benefit of a good upbringing!"

There really is a country called Passive-Agressiva, and I am its queen. :D

AHAHAHA that gave me a good laugh Flicka. You go girl! I can't believe that someone did that - I couldn't imagine that. It's one thing if people don't hold doors etc if they don't happen to see someone behind them, but to turn someone down who asks for help is just mind-blowing.

Bullying is a learned behavior, and sadly, I think a lot of young people learn bullying from their parents, who bullied them. The kids then grow up to bully other children and then other adults, because bullying is the only way of interacting with others that they know.

So, I think it's less that they were bullied heavily (except for by their parents or others when very very young) and more that this is all they know how to do. I had two friends in school who were bullied severely in the cruelest of ways and they are the nicest people I know. I think the idea of them bullying others' would make them physically sick.

I agree sheeplady. I think bully either teaches people that it is very wrong and unacceptable behaviour, or right and totally acceptable behaviour. I was bullied in school but it only taught me to love myself and be my own best friend.

rue

My daughter just told me that her friend's mother asked what I did for a living and when my daughter said I didn't work, she asked why I was dressed like the 50s. My daughter told her I was actually dressed like the 40s and that it's just the way I dress. I guess the woman was really confused after that, because she thought I worked at a themed restaurant or something lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner