Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Rosie

One Too Many
Today my mom dragged me to church with her. I felt so special because the entire time going there people on the street were telling me how nice I looked. After church (since I haven't been in a LONG time, :eek:) a lot of the ladies asked where I got my clothes, how well it fit, how nice it was to see a young lady dressed so nicely.

But the greatest part was, we went to visti my mom's sister who I haven't seen in a few months and as soon as I walked in the door she screamed and said how much I looked like her mother (my mom's mom too). She went and got her camera and kept going on and on she even asked to see my foundation garments :eek:. I don't think she's ever seen me dressed in full vintage style and she flipped. Then my mom made me show her my compact, lipstick holder, pill box, etc. It was pretty cool.

Oh, I wore a two piece dress. The top was white with polka dots and kind of flared out around the hip area, the skirt was black, calf length and straight. I wore black wedgies, my hair in rolls with a snood and a red rose in my hair and I had on black gloves and a black vintage bag.

Naama

Practically Family
Strangely, people often tell me that I remind them of Marilyn Monroe.... But actually I dress 20's/30's and don't look like her in the slightest way...... I guess it must be the hair..... I also get the Qwen Stefani a lot...... There where only 2 times when people realised I looked 20's.

Naama

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
generally, I don't get that many compliments, just smiles (which I guess is like getting a compliment!) Most of what I"ve been hearing lately are from friends who really love how I look.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Most of the compliments i have received are from elderly people either at the fabric store or grocery store i really like elderly people they are special and have lots of stories to tell all the time. Sometimes in public people will stop and stare i get a bit embarassed cause i havin't a clue what they are thinking! I think we are all unique because we are not afraid to be our self and the way alot of woman dress now is far from classy we can get alot of attention from covering up and leaving things to the guys imagination!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I get a lot of compliments when my hair is up in a big do-rag with curlers in my hair and tied in a giant bow! I wore my hair like this one day with my girlfriend from Minnesota, she gave me the are you really wearing your hair that way? I told her I get a lot of compliments for some strange reason when I do... and sure enough all day long!! (I was also wearing a vintage day dress and heels.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Had a cute incident at work today that reminded me of this old thread, so...

This afternoon we had a special show of "42nd Street," the classic 1933 musical, with lots of fine '30s fashion on the big screen, and afterwards, as I was thanking the audience for coming, I noticed a young mom with two of the most adorable little girls I've ever seen in my life -- I'm talking baby panda-cute, couldn't have been more than four or five -- and they were standing in the lobby staring at me. I said hello and they came over with their mom, and the kids just kept *staring*. The older one finally said "Are you a *movie star???* while her little sister reached down and said "Pretty shoes! Can I try?"

Well, gee, who can resist? So I let her try my shoes on -- they weren't really high heels -- she could fit her entire boots into them with room to spare, and went clomping around the auditorium. Meanwhile, the older girl was fingering my dress and when I told her I'd made it myself, she was fascinated. "Can I make one too?" she asked.

And that, I guess, is how young vintage enthusiasts are born.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Lizzie, that has got to be the cutest story ever!

I usually get a lot of nice compliments on how I look like Bettie Page, or whatever vintage pin-up or movie star jumps into peoples' minds.

And then I get a lot of bizarre questions like, "Are you representing the 60's?". And once a co-worker asked me if I was European, which totally confused me. I thought she meant if I was of European descent, but she actually thought I was from Europe because I had such a "unique sense of style"! I guess she confused a slight Long Island accent with a French one!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
That's really cute Lizzie! Kids say the greatest things sometimes.
I don't get comments these days, I think people are used to me now[huh]

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I have never had a negetive comment, I have people that go stop me on the street especially to tell me that I look nice. The other day I was just passing a lady on the street and she was like " You look fabulous!" I had other ladies says I look so cute, and I have a lot of men stopping me and tell me politely they think I look very nice. No one asks me where I am going or where I work, they just like how I look, I guess.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't gotten too many comments, but most of the ones I have gotten are people asking me where I'm going. It's funny that nowadays people see a person wearing something nicer than a pair of jeans and they think you have some place important or some kind of party to go to. Lately I've had quite a few compliments on my hair, which is nice.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
It's funny that nowadays people see a person wearing something nicer than a pair of jeans and they think you have some place important or some kind of party to go to.

:eek:fftopic: i went into work the other day wearing a denim a-line skirt, a kids' school t-shirt from a thrift store, striped kneesocks, and dansko maryjanes, and one of my coworkers said to me, "wow, you're really dressed up!"

i can't imagine what would happen if i wore vintage to work. i think people would probably faint.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I went to the local night spot that I usually go a couple times a month on Saturday nights-and for the first time I wore my vintage attire - I wore a plaid pencil skirt, seamed hose, vintage looking heels, sweater and a vintage leather jacket, vintage hair (which I always have) and vintage makeup. One guy told me I looked like a real live Bettie Boop only cuter, another guy asked me if i was going for the school girl look (because of the plaid pencil skirt) then he said just kidding that he actually thought I looked very pretty and another guy told me I looked beautiful! Then all of the girls asked me where I got my clothes and said I looked good and another gal said I had that Bettie Page thing going on. It was fun!

Brooksie

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I get "Is that a 70s look?" all the time. I also get "Are you from around here? Because I thought you were French." When I worked at Home Depot a few years ago all my co-workers thought I was French because of my style and they claimed I had an "accent" (???) Just a South Jersey accent, which is far from French!

I mostly just get the "Is this a goth look?" question, though. And sometimes cashiers in shops will tell me and my husband that we are a "blast from the past!" I've never ever gotten a sweet, genuine compliment from someone who knows what they're talking about, though. I guess the closest thing would be an elderly lady in Home Depot who, after we had a long conversation about 30s and 40s movie stars, told me "don't ever change!" That was the sweetest thing so far.

I get lots of bad, unfortunately. I get lots a blank stares when I tell them it is NOT a "goth" look, but rather a 1930s look. I get eye rolls, too. And "Are you for real?" accompanied by laughter. I guess that's what people do when they aren't open-minded enough to understand. [huh] This is probably one of the worst areas to live if you choose to live a lifestyle that consists of something other than NASCAR and the Eagles.

lindylady

A-List Customer
For some reason, people either refer to me as "Sweetie" or "Dear" when I dress vintage, or they just give me a curious stare. Perhaps I look really innocent when I'm wearing a skirt or something pink. Who knows? lol

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Thankfully, I haven't recieved any bad comments, just what seems to be the standard here, "Why are you so dressed up?" A nice one, but also exasperating one happened at a Barnes & Nobles this summer, when I was wearing a very simple, breezy light green 50's day dress, and a lady in jeans and a blouse came up and said "I love your style. I wish more people would dress like you!" While I was extremely humbled and thankful, I also couldn't help wondering... [huh]

starla

New in Town
Someone told me my hair looked like a 50's movie star yesterday. The best part of that was all I did was let my hair down and spray some water in it...:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails