Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

GILDA

DONT YOU LOVE WHEN SOMEONE REFERENCES YOU TO SOMEBEAUTIFUL MODEL OR ACTRESS??:) I LIVE IN OCEAN COUNTY IN NJ. MANY, MANY SENIOR CITIZENS LIVE HERE. THERE EVERYWHERE.I ACTUALLY HEARD A STATISTIC THAT SAID BESIDES FLORIDA( BECAUSE THEY ALL RETIRE DOWN THERE) OCEAN COUNTY HAS THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF SENIORS. MY POINT IS THEY REMEMBER THE STARLETS, THE GLAMOUR GIRLS. SO WHEREVER I GO I HEAR "RITA" "RITA HAYWORTH" A MAN IN THE MALL WHO DRAWS FREE HAND SKETCHES ASKED TO DRAW MY PICTURE BECAUSE HE COULDNT BELIEVE THE SIMILARITY. AT THE TIME I DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHO SHE WAS.SO THEN I STARTED COLLECTING PICTURES OF HER AND ORIGINAL ADVERTISMENTS FROM OLD MAGAZINES. I HAVE OVER 30. ITS WORTH HUNDREDS. SOME OF THE REALLY NICE ONES I HUNG ON MY WALL AND MY MOTHER WALKS IN WITH MY DAD AND THEY SAY"WOW, THATS A REALLY NICE PICTURE OF YOU" I BUSTED OUT LAUGHING SAYING "MOM, THATS NOT ME, THATS RITA HAYWORTH"PRETTY NICE WHEN YOU CAN FOLL YOUR OWN MOM. BUT I NEVER HAD THIS LOOK INTENTIONAL.....ITS JUST ME

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Originally Posted by Adelaidey
I agree Shearer... I swear, half of what gets attention about my outfits is either the red lipstick or hairstyle.

Sweetest thing the other day... I got on a bus going down State St., wearing my favorite lavender 40's spring dress, hair in v-rolls and makeup (red lippy!), and sat down across from two boys who looked about 14-15. A few seconds later, I hear one of them hiss to his friend "Dude, come on... don't be rude!" Out of curiosity I sneak a peak from the corner of my eye, and the one who had whispered had taken off his baseball cap and was elbowing his friend to do the same!

I love that story!!

I wore a dress from about 1937 to my brother's wedding this past weekend. I was quite surprised at how many comments I got! Not just oh, you look pretty, etc.. but actually asked me how old the dress was, which I thought was cool!

I get a lot of "you look like you stepped out of the 40's". I'm like well good, I hit the nail on the head then!

Still, I never got as many comments as at the hair show last month. People stopping me constantly and taking pics and everything. It was fun! Most of them just said "you're adorable". I'll take it, cuz after viewing the wedding video I sure don't think I am. I think I'm going to have to break down and get a bit of a tan. I can't do pale any longer!

Nikki

P

Paul

ohairas said:
I love that story!!

I wore a dress from about 1937 to my brother's wedding this past weekend. I was quite surprised at how many comments I got! Not just oh, you look pretty, etc.. but actually asked me how old the dress was, which I thought was cool!

Nikki
I think that's one of the nicest thing some one can say because is acknowledging that they have noticed your dress or outfit and understanding maybe that you choose to wear it and put thought into it , instead of flinging a modern one on quickly.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I decided to go out on a limb today and wear one of my vintage shirts with my denim cuffed capris and the shoes I posted in the Purchases thread...my hair is styled as it is in my avatar, but with my normal glasses.

A gal I work with is so cute - she's about 15-20 years older than I am, and she's very hip and stylish. She stopped me in the aisle today and said I looked cute today. I told her I have a thing for vintage clothing - ebay and thrifting, etc. and she said "I just really dig your style." I was smiling all the way down the escalator :D

I have gotten many compliments on my shirt today, which makes me happy.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I wore a 50's gorgeous dress to a wedding this weekend and was swarmed with compliments. People would come right up to me and say "that is vintage right". They could tell right away by how it was made.

The thing I am getting most often is "I love your sense of style". I am standing out due to the fact that I am clearly dressing out of the norm and it shows. The downfall to all of this of course is the preasure it puts on you to dress like this all of the time. There are days I want to throw on a pair of current jeans and a t shirt but then I think I will be dissapointing people. There is one lady who says she looks forward to going to work each day just to see what I will be wearing! :eek: .

I love dressing vintage, but it's a lot of hard work.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
A few years back while I was in Sydney I went into a vintage store dressed in vintage clothing and the woman who worked there looked up at me and said "We don't have anything to fit you" and then proceeded to ignore me so I left promptly and always tell people how rude she was and not to bother going there !!!

Mojito

One Too Many
What a ghastly attitude on her part, Goldwyn Girl! I can sometimes be hard help with fitting clothes in vintage stores because of my height and frame (few hats and shoes will fit me), but there's always *something* that may appeal - coats, hats (if you've got a smaller headsize than me), jewelery and other accessories....

I've gone into, say, Rokit here in Sydney, and even when they haven't had my size/era, the attendants have still come up with other things I might be interested in.

Given what a boutique sort of market vintage is, I doubt she'll last long in it with that attitude.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I started a new job a few weeks ago, and was being introduced to all the people in the department, when one lady says... "You look familiar... ooh! I've seen you on the L before! You're the one with her hair all done up and in a nice dress... I've seen you a few times, and I always love what you wear!"

Small world, Chicago... lol. Who knew I had a following on the L? :) lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
HepKat said:
All I have to do is wear my bright 40's lipstick and put a couple reverse rolls in my hair and I find that men generally are much more chivalrous towards me. I find myself having the door held open for me a lot more than if I'm in normal streetwear, and being called 'miss' and 'dear' a lot more. :)

Small World HepKat!

I tend to get the sir treatment more and compliments from people in general even if I go to town in semi-vintage style. It feels pretty good.

Cheers!

Dan

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Adelaidey said:
"You look familiar... ooh! I've seen you on the L before! You're the one with her hair all done up and in a nice dress... I've seen you a few times, and I always love what you wear!"

What a lovely compliment, to have made such an impression on her. :)

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
Round these parts, I'm still a novelty.

I get older women come up to me and tell me that I'm "just the cutest little thing that they ever did see".
People at uni usually say something like "I can't believe you can actually style your hair like that every day! Sometimes I can't be bothered to even brush it!" It's easy when you love vintage hair!

I always say thankyou, but yeah, sometimes the situation gets awkward.

edit: Yesterday I wore my 40s sun dress with v-rolls and that afternoon I got on the bus and a young guy who was probably MY AGE, gave up his seat for me and said "here you go miss" :) haha. I'm thinking "I'm not THAT old am I?" But it was lovely all the same :D

Sunny

One Too Many
Stephy Wilecat said:
Yesterday I wore my 40s sun dress with v-rolls and that afternoon I got on the bus and a young guy who was probably MY AGE, gave up his seat for me and said "here you go miss" :) haha. I'm thinking "I'm not THAT old am I?" But it was lovely all the same :D

No way, kid - he said Miss, not Ma'am! Score for you! :eusa_clap

Kim_B

Practically Family
Not strictly a vintage comment, but I've been wearing my red lipstick more than usual and yesterday my mom said "You just look so cute in your red lipstick!" Which means a lot coming from her :)

Mildred

New in Town
Comments-both good and bad

I have been dressing vintage style since I was 14 years old. Funny it was High School where I got my negative comments. I finally joined the Drama Club and fit right in there... (There was a kid who wore a top hat and cape to school everyday). When I walk around people assume that because I live in Hollywood that I am dressing this way because I am a actress (I am not) or I am dressing for a modeling shoot. I am not a model either. I just finally learned that some people will stare at me and I ignore them but most of the time people come up to me and ask me where I get things. Old men love me to death. It is a mixed bag.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Y'know, in a way the actress comments are probably more complimentary when they at first appear. What I mean is, many people dress 'unusual' but aren't asked if they're in a play or acting or what-not. They only ask you that because they know enough about the vintage era you love to realise you're dressing completely within that era. I doubt most people I know could pick a 1940s outfit without having been told, they'd just know it as 'odd' and so wouldn't comment. While people who say things like that are ignorant of the vintage lifestyle, they're not ignorant of era-specific clothing, so they're at least part of the way there.

I don't know. I guess I try to re-frame things sometime to try to drain the compliment from ignorant phrases! If they say something nice with the 'costume' word, it's even easier. But still, after the fiftieth time, I suppose it'd get tiring.

I'm still far too new at this to get the look down right and most stores around here don't stock my favourite era - 30s to 40s - and I'm absolutely terrible with my hair, so I haven't yet mastered the look enough to get any comments but I do wonder what sort people in South Australia will give. I suppose so long as I stay out of the country I'll be right.

Nashoba

One Too Many
laraquan please believe me I drain every last bit of compliment out of whatever anyone says to me about my style lol. I just sometimes wonder if they think about what they're saying before or after it's already coming out of their mouths :). The actress thing just surprised me because to be honest that's a new one for me. I think that's the first time someone has asked me that based on what I'm wearing
And don't worry you'll get there. It took me forever to get my hair decent and to be honest I still screw it up and have to salvage it half the time. Then when I do get it right, I never want to take it down because I'm afraid I won't acomplish it again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner