Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Whats the occasion?

I live in the High Desert of CA.The majority of the posters here are getting the same reactions that I've gotten over the past few months since I've begun to actually fully dress Vintage.from hat's to shoes and all parts in between.It's really sad to actually put forth the effort to stand in front of the closet & think about your day & where your going & what your doing & chose your "costume" accordingly.Then to have your "friend" be dressed like a homeless person with barely any thought having gone inot their dressing other than which is my "cleanest" dirty clothes!:rage: uuuuuuurrrggggggg!
well that's my rant for the day!
I too have run the gambit from "Lucy" to "Mrs Clever" from The Leave it to Beaver.[huh] Oh well I agree with whomever posted befor about "it's the only thing people under 50 have to compare it too!" It's all good!
I just attribute it to the mentallity up here!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
My Hair

:rolleyes: Thank You Miss! the color is a product of my daughters work, the hairstyle is a product of my work,the happy face is a product of the loving thoughts I have for all my friends from New Zealand that were present for the Bakersfield hotrod reunion/drags "after party" held at a friends Garage!

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Claireg said:
Bit of a downer from me girls..
I keep getting negative comments from my friend( who is one of my best friends for probably the longest out of any of my friends).
She just kind of snorts when she sees me, and shakes her head, and has made some really negative comments.
I feel quite bummed about this, because her opinion means a lot to me.
Also because - in the process of doing my 24/7 vintage project I have discovered that i am shockingly vain!
This of course puts a big dent in my ego!!
OH NO MIND THE EGO!!
actaully - looking at it like that, maybe the universe has put her there to make sure I get a few good doses of reality and keep my head in check!
I want to give you my opinion on this item: don't let it go, make your friend know that you suffer about her comments, and maybe she will change her behaviour with you...

B.

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
aww claire! don't despair!

Claireg said:
Bit of a downer from me girls..
I keep getting negative comments from my friend( who is one of my best friends for probably the longest out of any of my friends).
She just kind of snorts when she sees me, and shakes her head, and has made some really negative comments.
Also because - in the process of doing my 24/7 vintage project I have discovered that i am shockingly vain!
This of course puts a big dent in my ego!!
OH NO MIND THE EGO!!
actaully - looking at it like that, maybe the universe has put her there to make sure I get a few good doses of reality and keep my head in check!

I always try to remind myself of this quote from Dr. Seuss (seriously!) He said- "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind, don't matter...and those who matter, don't mind."

Negative friends, especially negative 'best' friends are the hardest to deal with...you just have to keep being you, and let her silly comments and eye rolling...roll off your back. It's not your fault that she doesn't have style :p

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Let me second bunny chan's advice; it's one thing when strangers express their random opinions, but when someone who's supposed to be a friend repeatedly offers hurtful words, you should most definitely point it out.
Who would purposefully hurt someone they care about?
I'd never dream of telling a friend (or a stranger for that matter) "looks like you're packing on some pounds there", or "you're dressed awfully sloppily today", or "it's a good thing you don't smell as bad as you look."

When one takes pains with their appearance, it's certainly not appropriate to reward them with rude comments.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I don't like too many modern expressions, but I do like 'frenemy' and I have one too.

One of those who secretly delights when someone makes a nasty comment.

My sister married a guy last year who thinks he can say what he likes to me re the way I dress. It's not outlandishly retro, but I like to look nice.

I'm spending the evening with them on the 18th and I'm afraid if he says anything this time he'll get it with both barrels.

:mad: How I dress is MY choice. Fair enough, if people don't like it-but at least have some respect...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Claireg said:

As always, I have strong opinions on the subject:

a) The fact that we choose to dress differently from the masses makes us strong women. Take that crap from no man, woman, or child.
b) People can tell when their opinion matters to you. When they start using it to beat you down, thats when it ceases to matter - And when you know what kind of "friend" they are.
c) Everyone is a little bit vain - If we weren't, no one would try to look pretty!

Take it from Dr. Seuss and keep on with the experiment, Claire :)

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
C-dot said:
As always, I have strong opinions on the subject:

a) The fact that we choose to dress differently from the masses makes us strong women. Take that crap from no man, woman, or child.
b) People can tell when their opinion matters to you. When they start using it to beat you down, thats when it ceases to matter - And when you know what kind of "friend" they are.
c) Everyone is a little bit vain - If we weren't, no one would try to look pretty!

Take it from Dr. Seuss and keep on with the experiment, Claire :)

YEAH! What she said! :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
I don't like too many modern expressions, but I do like 'frenemy' and I have one too.

My sister married a guy last year who thinks he can say what he likes to me re the way I dress. It's not outlandishly retro, but I like to look nice.

I'm spending the evening with them on the 18th and I'm afraid if he says anything this time he'll get it with both barrels.

:mad: How I dress is MY choice. Fair enough, if people don't like it-but at least have some respect...

Oh I would let him have it !!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A lot of my family still looks at me as a child (Ill be 32 on Sun.) so they often think they can say any mean thing to me and Ill just absorb it and take it.

I remember a few years ago, I was wearing something and my cousin said something along the lines of, "Man, thats ugly."

I looked at her and sharply replied, "Im sorry, you are saying that like you believe I give a sh*t about what you think." She had said stuff like that to me often. So me, being a newly formed adult, just got tired of it.

I havent talked to her in a while :rolleyes:

LD

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:

The 18th, eh? Plenty of time to gear up for a response to any of his anticipated snarking.

I like this one (for lack of a better name, I'll refer to him as 'Stunted Brain-in-Law.'), said sweetly, with a subtle sense of sly wit in your voice, a wink and then a quick head turn to your sister to have a conversation on an entirely different subject: "Why, Stunted Brain-in-Law, you pay such close attention to my outfits, that if I didn't know any better, I'd think you cared."
:)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
A lot of my family still looks at me as a child (Ill be 32 on Sun.) so they often think they can say any mean thing to me and Ill just absorb it and take it.

I remember a few years ago, I was wearing something and my cousin said something along the lines of, "Man, thats ugly."

I looked at her and sharply replied, "Im sorry, you are saying that like you believe I give a sh*t about what you think." She had said stuff like that to me often. So me, being a newly formed adult, just got tired of it.

I havent talked to her in a while :rolleyes:

LD

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Atta girl, Lady Day!!!!!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Today was crazy! During my shift at my new job, I had 3 people ask to take pictures of me, got everything from war bride to 50's diner waitress to Mad Men secretary to mannequin, and about 1,000,000 double-takes.

I've been working for a full week now and already I've heard a ton of surprising comments - But by far the most is "You look so vintage - Like one of those 1920's wartime girls!" :eusa_doh:

Lenore

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Today was crazy! During my shift at my new job, I had 3 people ask to take pictures of me, got everything from war bride to 50's diner waitress to Mad Men secretary to mannequin, and about 1,000,000 double-takes.

I've been working for a full week now and already I've heard a ton of surprising comments - But by far the most is "You look so vintage - Like one of those 1920's wartime girls!" :eusa_doh:

It's the thought that counts, right? Tomorrow I'm slumming it modern style. Heels and skirts don't work well for a tailgate party.

Just call me....

Boy did I get the comments at work today too hehe

Miss "Pearl Harbor - you know like in the 50s" + "Just stepped out of a movie" + "Back in the old days when women were women and men were men" girl.
;)

Now, Miss Day and Miss Claire and anyone else who gets the rude bits from family and friends - at least you know we all appreciate you just the way you are, and you never know - you might be a secret inspiration to someone around you who is too shy to say anything right now. So yes, go with Dr. Seuss all the way!

I'm 42 now, and I've been surviving both positive and negative for a while now and trust me it will all shake out. :)

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Hamilton_Honey said:
Boy did I get the comments at work today too hehe

Miss "Pearl Harbor - you know like in the 50s" + "Just stepped out of a movie" + "Back in the old days when women were women and men were men" girl.
;)

HHoney...I'm 42 too! I'm also new to vintage and trying to build a wearable wardrobe. So, I can attest to your comment about never knowing who you might be insipiring. It might be me! :) Life is much too short to worry about how someone will like your attire. On the other hand, if your crinoline makes you giggle or the springolators you just scored make you want to high-five the office, then you should. Those are the simple pleasures we should grab with both hands!

I think the comments you got are just lovely. Maybe, someday, I'll inspire a few myself!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
C-dot said:

C-dot...in a way that's very flattering but it also bugs me a little. I think it's because I feel John Q Public will ask/say/do more of/to an employee behind the counter than they would if you had met them as a fellow customer. Liberties and all that...

btw Congrats on the J-O-B!

23SkidooWithYou said:
HHoney...I'm 42 too! I'm also new to vintage and trying to build a wearable wardrobe. So, I can attest to your comment about never knowing who you might be insipiring. It might be me! :) Life is much too short to worry about how someone will like your attire. On the other hand, if your crinoline makes you giggle or the springolators you just scored make you want to high-five the office, then you should. Those are the simple pleasures we should grab with both hands!

I think the comments you got are just lovely. Maybe, someday, I'll inspire a few myself!

Hooray! Thanks, and right back atcha! I've been wearing the vintage off and on (mostly on) since high school. And I am sure you are already inspiring!

C-Dot - yay for you! New job!! woohoo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou