Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I've discovered that going to the grocery store is always an adventure... no one except the cashier ever ventures to comment, but there are always a lot of doubletakes (especially in produce - who knows?)

Mundane tasks always seem more fun in vintage!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
On my way into my office Friday, a man came walking up behind me (almost jogging, really), so I moved aside and got out of his way. As he came alongside me, I glanced over to see what was what, and he was STARING at me big time and let out this oily, icky good morning that made me want to wash my hands. I smiled quickly and said good morning and kept walking, but it was very uncomfortable.

On the other hand, this morning, a gentleman hurried past me on my way into the building and very nicely said good morning and opened the door for me, which was very pleasant.

Friday, a lady told me she loved my hair, today another lady said she loves my makeup. I haven't gotten any real particular comments recently, but that first incident was just not ok. Has that happened to anyone else?

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I live in an area with a large retirement-age population, so seeing reactions of the people who remember the styles I wear the first time they were around is always fun. :) Recently, I was wearing a turquoise Trashy Diva 50s-style dress, some wild print heels, and had my hair nicely arranged as I was running errands. An older lady stopped me and said how nice I looked--that she remembered dressing up in something nice with heels when she was younger. That totally made my day!

But I think the best was about a month ago when I was going through the gate checkpoint to get on base. The guy working security called his buddies out to see me, as he stopped and checked my ID, because he said I looked like Marilyn Monroe! haha! I don't remember what I was wearing, but it certainly wasn't MM-ish in the least. I think it must have been my red lipstick and cat-eyeliner. Still, it was quite amusing and my husband got a good laugh out of the whole thing. lol.

Lenore

Practically Family
Picking up my daughter from daycare today, I had two three year olds run up to me and start asking me questions.

"Why do you wear lips?" (Lipstick?)
"Your hair is pretty!"
"Are you a princess?"
"Are you a movie star?"
"Why are your shoes so tall?"

Then came the random questions.

In reference to the Monkey, "Is she a baby?"
"Do you like Dora?"
"Do you have a cat?"
"Do you like ice cream?"

I laughed all the way to the car.

Mary

Practically Family
Haha! They must have forgotten their brains in the car.

goldwyn girl said:
I wore seamed stockings to a party the other week and word got back to me that people were asking around if they were tattooed on ????

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
miss_elise said:
I've seen girls with tattooed seams... I only noticed though because we were at the gym and i thought it very dedicated to wear seamed stocking whilst working out...

I was wondering if people really did get tattooed seams. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're commited to the look. Just think, no runs and no crooked seams...well, I guess that depends on your tat artist!

Didn't they draw seams up their legs when stockings were hard to come by in WWII?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How the other half lives...

OK, this was an interesting lesson.

I went to the local food court for a bite, and on the way out saw a nice looking guy in his 40s, wearing a suit, tie, wing tips, and a FEDORA! It may all have been modern, but had a definite vintage late 40s thing going on.

Being a person who likes compliments, I threw him a "Snappy dresser!" as I approached where he was standing, then after I passed him, a "Nice Fedora!".

And I got... nothing. A cold stare. As if to say, and who are you to give ME compliments?

Granted, I was SO not dressed up - I was out doing many errands and I am wearing a velvet track suit, hair in a ponytail, and my lipstick had worn off. So I dod not look like his kindred spirit at all.

But it made me think about how many people might want to throw compliments our way, but are probably deterred by the rejection they get from JERKS like this guy.

And I hope he's a Fedoran, and comes and reads this and feels awful! Snob!

Miss 1929 said:
OK, this was an interesting lesson.

I went to the local food court for a bite, and on the way out saw a nice looking guy in his 40s, wearing a suit, tie, wing tips, and a FEDORA! It may all have been modern, but had a definite vintage late 40s thing going on.

Being a person who likes compliments, I threw him a "Snappy dresser!" as I approached where he was standing, then after I passed him, a "Nice Fedora!".

And I got... nothing. A cold stare. As if to say, and who are you to give ME compliments?

Granted, I was SO not dressed up - I was out doing many errands and I am wearing a velvet track suit, hair in a ponytail, and my lipstick had worn off. So I dod not look like his kindred spirit at all.

But it made me think about how many people might want to throw compliments our way, but are probably deterred by the rejection they get from JERKS like this guy.

silly silly man. He passed up an opportunity to graciously receive a compliment - and from one of the best dressed ladies I know! (well, not, know, but know - you know?) :)

Don't let him rain on your parade, sweetie...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
23SkidooWithYou said:
I was wondering if people really did get tattooed seams. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're commited to the look. Just think, no runs and no crooked seams...well, I guess that depends on your tat artist!

A musician who did a concert at the theatre where I work had tattooed seams, and it's quite an effective illusion when done carefully -- I didn't realize she was actually barelegged until she kicked her shoes off after the show.

I'd think it'd be inconvenient, though, if you were wearing shorts or a bathing suit.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:

Well...maybe it's his first time away from the farm and his Momma warned him not to talk to those city girls! lol Maybe he's been teased for how he dresses and wasn't sure if you were serious or being sarcastic. Maybe it was love at first sight and he just couldn't find the words to speak. Maybe he was just a dufus. On any account, a gentleman would at least say "thank you".

Too bad. An attractive, well dressed person can turn pretty plain with a careless display of bad manners!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I'd think it'd be inconvenient, though, if you were wearing shorts or a bathing suit.

Yeah...well...hmmm...I rather find cellulite deters me more! ;)

:eek:fftopic: Now that I'm "Vintage in Training" can I call my cellulite "celluloid"?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
Well...maybe it's his first time away from the farm and his Momma warned him not to talk to those city girls! lol Maybe he's been teased for how he dresses and wasn't sure if you were serious or being sarcastic. Maybe it was love at first sight and he just couldn't find the words to speak. Maybe he was just a dufus. On any account, a gentleman would at least say "thank you".
I adore your explanations! I'm betting on the love one. Some men have a naturally cool gaze, no matter what they're feeling.

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:

I always say to people if I appreciate something nice of them, I think it is nice and "warm", and when other people do the same to me I feel good!
If he didn't appreciate...well, it's his problem!!! You were nice!!!

B.

m_lamb99

New in Town
Its interesting the stories that you have all shared. My wife had similiar experience when she was wearing seamed stockings and ran into an older woman who remembered wearing them as a youngster.

its funny how most people today have forgotten what is like to dress like a lady or a man. Modern clothing has really led us down a path that closely follows modern morals. So much of the polite society that once existed when women wore skirts and heels and actually did their hair and make-up before going to the grocery store has been lost. I think there is a corrolation between how we dress and how people treat us. Like the comment about the man holding the door open when he saw you coming. I would say that in most cases if you were wearing jeans and a t-shirt he would have just let the door hit you in the face. Now its all about how low can wear my pants and how much skin can I show. I also think that the move towards womens liberation and the attempt to break out of the traditional roles has actually hurt women in many ways. I know most woman want to be viewed as an equal and by right they are equal to men. honestly I have to believe that men and women both have their strengths and weaknesses and in the end it is these differences that bring us together. Its sort of a Yin and Yang thing where one shapes and defines the other.

Anyways I love to see a woman dressed like a lady and if anyone stroles past my neck of the woods I will be happy to compliment you as I hold the door.

Mike

Lenore

Practically Family
m_lamb99 said:
Now its all about how low can wear my pants...

Heh, a friend of mine just sent me a group on facebook she thought I should join. It's entitled "Pull your pants up, you look like an idiot." Made my day. Probably because I'm just easily amused. :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
Heh, a friend of mine just sent me a group on facebook she thought I should join. It's entitled "Pull your pants up, you look like an idiot." Made my day. Probably because I'm just easily amused. :)

If I was still on facebook, i would join this group. I didn't know it was fashionable to show ones undergarments.
Underpants are exactly that, they go UNDER your pants.

m_lamb99

New in Town
Wow Finally I think I have reached my 15 post requirement and should be able to post links and other stuff. So here goes nothing.

If anyone is interested in vintage reproduction corsets and reproduction girdles you may want to check out Melanie Talkington at Lace Embrace she is absolutely wonderful. i know the focus is on corsets but she can make reproductions of girdles as well. i have purchased several corsets from her for my wife. you can see pictures of them there. look for the cetauris corset and the braceline corset to name a few.

http://www.laceembrace.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy