Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
The Shirt said:
I've had many a stoles and collars petted. There's just no stopping some people (men primarily). I've commented back "Do you think that is appropriate to go up to a stranger and pet them? Most people ask permission even when it's someone's dog. I've been known to bite you know."

just because you are wearing fur does not give the right for someone to go up to you and pet,thats rude!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Miss Dizzy Dame, are you the dark city dame on flickr? I wanted to say i find your pics highly inspirational and you have the greatest wardrobe ever!

Brooksie

One Too Many
I got a very nice comment from a young guy I work with today (I just started a new job and about 25 of us are in 6 weeks of training with week 2 down). It was requested that we dress really nice today because we had executives from back east in, I always dress very nice but I stepped it up a notch and wore my 1940's ladies suit (charcoal grey with pencil skirt and nipped in waist with peplum) red snake skin 40's peep toe pumps, red bakelite bracelets and necklace. I did my hair in victory rolls, with a French roll in the back - I used to have short bangs but I am growing them out and so now they are about mid cheek bone but curled... the young guy told me he really liked my hair that it reminded him of Bettie Page... I told him thank you so much that I just love Bettie and he said I don't know of anybody who does not like her. I got tons of compliments through out the day about my suit, hair, shoes and bracelets. It was great.

The other day I wore a burgundy 30'/40's sweater jacket that has a fur collar and I got tons of compliments on it with it being fur and all and nobody was offended by the fur at all.

Brooksie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I had to get something quick at the grocery store, and I was dressed for the Ragtime Parlor Concert I was heading to right after (see photo below).

A gent about my age at the self checkout next to mine smiled and said "You're looking very stylish". I said "Thank you, I'm trying to reverse the trend." He smiled again and said "You're doing a good job."
381396702.jpg

HannahJane

Familiar Face
I went out last night with my hair all done up and my red lipstick etc but not really wearing vintage clothes but one of my acquaintances came up to me and said,
"You look really gorgeous, kind of 50s. Or 20s. Or 40s, or something....I'm not very good with decades but you look really nice!"
It definitely put a smile on my face :)

SarahBeth

New in Town
A little while ago I decided to go shopping all done up. Red lipstick, victory rolls, green wool skirt, & a button up shirt. A guy in the antique store talked me up for about 20 minutes, kept saying how cute I looked, & gave me his number. After that I stopped in at Goodwill and a woman complimented me saying how beautiful my hair was. She wanted to know if I was in a play or something but I told her that I just really like the 1940's.

Miss Bunny

New in Town
For some reason I get called Betty Boop a lot, especially when I wear one particular outfit. Maybe my head is greatly disproportionate to the rest of my body and I never noticed? lol

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
best comments i receive

the best comment i get is from my 2 youngest sons.........when i am getting ready in the morning they will call from the other room "mommy do you have your lipstick on yet?" if the answer is "yes" they will come into the room and point to their cheek (waiting for a kiss);) they love mommys red lip print on their cheek. and i dont even mind having to reapply.........

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
jessesgirl08 said:
the best comment i get is from my 2 youngest sons.........when i am getting ready in the morning they will call from the other room "mommy do you have your lipstick on yet?" if the answer is "yes" they will come into the room and point to their cheek (waiting for a kiss);) they love mommys red lip print on their cheek. and i dont even mind having to reapply.........

That is soooooo adorable!!!

MissWink

New in Town
A friend of my mother's always comment on my seamed stockings. He usually smiles and tells me how refreshing it is with ladies with style. Even if he says the same thing every time I meet him, it's still very nice to hear it.

Lenore

Practically Family
Well... his heart was in the right place...

My husband went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon while waiting to pick me up. As he was standing in line, he noticed two very attractive women dressed in golden era style drive up, park and walk in to the store. The abercrombie girl in line next to him also saw them and remarked loudly "I didn't know it was Halloween." Without missing a beat he looked at her and said "I didn't know it was trashy slut day. What else could your excuse be?"

Needless to say, this infuriated her equally abercrombieish boyfriend, and they had words. Hubby commented to them that if they thought that looking classy was stupid and looking trashy was a good thing, they were more than welcome to keep their thoughts to themselves. So very close to a fight breaking out.... eep!

He told me it just made him snap when he heard that comment because he thought of me, and how he'd have felt if I were off somewhere and someone had said something like that about me. That and he brought me a chocolate banana vivanno, so I couldn't be mad at him at all. :rolleyes:

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Wow Lenore what a brave man! I think its really sweet that he thought about you and thats what made him so mad! I'm just glad that it all ended ok.

cecil

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Last night I was working the box office, and a customer gave me the usual "Wow, you look like you're right from the forties!" I smiled and said "thanks," and she followed up with "So -- do I get in for a quarter?"

Zing!

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
My outfit wasn't exactly vintage today, more vintage inspired (a blue woollen skirt, victory rolls, red lipstick, neck scarf). Anyway, I popped into Oxfam to look through their great selection of old Vogue magazines and the girl on the counter was so sweet, saying how she loved my outfit and wished she had the guts to wear something like that. I have been feeling a bit down lately and that really made my day.
Random compliments make me smile :D

BoPeep

Practically Family
I've been setting rollers for over a year now - part of my routine - not just for special occasions. I feel like a frump without curls. And I've had more comments from the guys than the girls. One guy I'd only just met, asked me where I got my clothes. Before I had time to answer the other guy (recent acquaintance) said, "She makes them." Guys may notice mini skirts and cleavage, but I see a definite appreciation towards the glamorous look rather than the here's-everything-I-have-to-offer look.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Usually nobody says anything, but last grocery day, I must have been in rare form. Not only did the produce man help me find the best of whatever I was looking for, but my regular check-out lady told me I looked like a movie star. I consider that a great compliment from her, as she's as glamorous as you can get in a grocery store smock. She's Jamiacan, stunning, always perfect hair, perfect nails, perfect jewelry. Plus, I love her accent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner