Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison of Wax Cotton jackets

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Trialsmaster

The Stewart tartan lining and vertical pockets could be a late Stoke on Trent jacket or it could be Italian. AFAIK (I had lost touch and patience with the company by then) the padded shoulders are Italian. The more recent material is 'sanitised' - easier to live with but less effective. It is MHO that one of the recent jackets would not stand up to serious motorcycling use in a wet climate. The earlier jackets can be reconditioned effectively and are a better buy (again in MHO).

The 'new' company sees product placement on film as its major marketing strategy (a TM is worn on Wild Hogs too). I have no idea why. It seems to me that sort of thing would put off any genuine motorcyclist. But then, they are probably not targeting genuine motorcyclists...

Alan

petng

New in Town
I agree Alan, the newer jackets material does not have the quality of the older one. It does however have far better sticthing throughout and also it has a better fit. Both are made in Britain.

Another obious difference is the buttons. On the older jacket the buttons have the belstaff emblem, while the newer one has what looks like a head of a bird.

I have seen Ebay jackets stating to be made in the 1970s that have padded shoulders and elbows. Where they ever made back in the 70s?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The 'new' company sees product placement on film as its major marketing strategy (a TM is worn on Wild Hogs too). I have no idea why. It seems to me that sort of thing would put off any genuine motorcyclist. But then, they are probably not targeting genuine motorcyclists...
Agreed!

The thing I really cannot fathom is that they they are going to the trouble of having Will Smith wear the waxed cotton Trialmaster in the film I Am Legend at the same time they announce they are discontinuing that model. Isn't the point of product placement to stimulate sales of the product?

Oh well, I'm happy with the one I won on Ebay!
C'est la vie!

Fardad

Familiar Face
So I've bit the bullet and ordered a black Barbour Bedale and should be arriving tomorrow or so. I can finally chuck my nylons (I hate the sound of them when moving around).

I hope there is some 'breathability' in the Bedale. Now I gotta find a place that stocks a resonably-priced black hood for this jacket.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fardad said:
So I've bit the bullet and ordered a black Barbour Bedale and should be arriving tomorrow or so. I can finally chuck my nylons (I hate the sound of them when moving around).

I hope there is some 'breathability' in the Bedale. Now I gotta find a place that stocks a resonably-priced black hood for this jacket.
Try www.coatsandhats.com

I've bought all of my Barbour jackets and a few hoods and accessories from them. I saved quite a bit of money.

Fardad

Familiar Face
Thanks for the link. Although they don't carry the black with the modern tartan swatch. I have to look elsewhere.

I just received the jacket today. The construction quality and attention to detail is definitely, immaculate.

I now can't wait till it rains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff