Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery's "Allan Quatermain" Vest

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Speaking of Alan Quartermaine, I'd really like a good copy of the leather vest that Sean Connery wore in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Very snazzy, and period looking as well.

I'd like a copy of that vest, as well. I've been keeping my eye out for an inexpensive safari style jacket that I could cut down to a vest, too. That would actually work pretty well out here under a number of conditions.

Baggers said:
Mojave, a good alternative to those trousers that might have a more period look would be a pair from a company that makes clothing for the Single Action Shooting crowd. Perhaps something that has a high waist with a split V waistband along with a size adjusting tab and buckle in the back. Suspender buttons as well. About three weeks back, we had the pleasure of being on a twilight tour of Cliff House at Mesa Verde NP for the centennial celebration which was led by a professor from the University of New Mexico, and he was wearing a pair. He was doing living history as Richard Wetherill, the first white man to see the ruins, and it was very effective -- as long as I didn't look at the modern brown leather hikers he was wearing.

Cheers!

I love those living history type presentations! I have a group of friends out here that do shows up at Pioneertown (the one that nearly burned last week in the Sawtooth Fire). I actually joined, but was so busy with my coursework that I begged off until next year when I have more time. I want to do an archaeologist impression, which was encouraged because everyone else wants to be cowboys! I'd also like to do a calvary impression from about 1885, when they were transitioning to the cotton duck uniforms. That was just after the Southern Pacific Railroad came through this area and the mining boom began.

Baggers

Practically Family
Yep, that's the vest I want! You're right Mojave, it's essentially a short jerkin. The pockets look to be a simple bellows type with a square flap and without a button fastening. That might look real nice in Aero's oil pull leather, assuming we couldn't find something really authentic like Water Buffalo. That stuff has a real interesting grain.

Hmmm, I wonder if Wested Leather could make that up with a simple brown twill lining and maybe an inside breast pocket on the left side? The shell loops could be done up to fit the .303 cartridge for starters (not that I'd actually use them for such, but just so they'd be a useful size). The leather might actually stretch a bit to fit a typical "big game" cartridge of the era.

Cheers!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I admire Teddy Roosevelt.....

but was disappointed with most of the Orvis offerings- except for the bandanas- those were pretty cool.

A vest like Connery's from "League"....hmmmm... that's a great idea.

Do you really think Wested would be interested in doing something like that? Their prices are always very reasonable for the quality they provide.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Yep Mojave, that is indeed the one I was talking about. Now that I have compared them though, it's not quite up to par. I'm sure Wested could do something like that, but if not there are folks on the web and at colonial reenactments that do custom stuff. You could always check with Indy Magnoli.

Ken

A-List Customer
I emailed Peter at Wested after I first saw the movie aboutt he vest - he confirmed that he did NOT make the original for the movie and at that time had no plans to reproduce them.

If we approached Wested as a group I think we have a good chance. I have really wanted one of these as well!

Lets ask and see shall we?

Ken

Baggers

Practically Family
I'm game. He may not want to add it to his regular lineup, but being a such a relatively simple garment he may be willing to do a small run for the few people that would want one.

All I need to do is finish assembling a decent set of frame grabs for him to work from. I've already gathered a massive set from just the first few scenes, but I still need to review the rest of the film before distilling them down to a half dozen or so of the best angles.

So Far I've determined that it would be a simple hip length jerkin with lapels, two flapped bellows pockets with no closure, two rows of shell loops on the left side, and a simple khaki fabric lining. I was considering perhaps adding an internal breast pocket as well as dressing it up with one or two loop and horn toggle closures on the front, but both of those are very optional.

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
I think an inside pocket would be good if not inpractical to construct (from memory - I dont own the movie - I dont think there was a lining). Not so sure about altering the exterior though.

Ken

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
I think an inside pocket would be good if not inpractical to construct (from memory - I dont own the movie - I dont think there was a lining). Not so sure about altering the exterior though.

Ken

Hi Ken,
It may be just the undyed flesh side of the hide, but it does look like there's a lining:

Check the tiny bit showing on the inside of the armhole:
PDVD_023.jpg

And here, the left side as the vest hangs open. There's an approximate 3 inch internal facing, then just before it disappears behind his body you see about an inch worth's of something:
PDVD_089.jpg

A lining would make the vest/jerkin look more finished, as well as make it easier to construct a simple inside breast pocket with a minimal facing. Admittedly, the loop/toggle closure was just something I was playing with to make it more versatile to me personally -- not a major thing that has to be a part of the final design for me to participate.

Should we start a new thread if we're going to pursue this further?

Cheers!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
the nit picker strikes

:eek:fftopic: I believe the character's name is Allan Quatermain. A lot of people make it Quartermain.
It is a great outfit though, I admit.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Wolf- indeed, you are right. But we knew who we were talking about ;)

Depending on cost I'd probably be game for one of these. Is there any more news?

Baggers- can you get a head-on frontal screenshot? I need to watch that film again...

Ken

A-List Customer
I think the best thing is to start a list of people who would be 'in' for a run (provisionally) with a limit ont he price (ie - sign up if you would go for it and the price was below $300).

Then we could approach Peter and say 'Would you be interested in making this - we have 10 people interested'.

Or would it be better to approach Peter first simply outlining the idea and then if he is willing to do it, get a price and then compose a list of interested parties?

Of course we probably want to all confirm the exact specs of the jacket first.

Baggers your screen grabs are most helpful indeed.

Ken

Baggers

Practically Family
All right, If we count Kodiak, we have three people interested so far. I think we should go ahead and approach him now. If he shoots it down it'll save us a lot of time. ;)

As for specs, in addition to what I had mentioned earlier, I forgot to put down that the vest has a central back seam, shoulder seams that gently curve backwards as they run out to the armholes, and that the vest itself appears to be made from a weathered medium brown hide of some sort. Depending on the angle at which you see it, the surface displays a lot of grain or distressing similar to water buffalo hide. The only variable seems to be the color, which shifts from scene to scene depending on light sources and possible effects applied in post.

Great, Mycroft, you posted the image that I was thinking of for Kodiak. Do you think you might want to be a part of this little adventure?

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21