Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Controversial move on the part of the government?

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's a hard topic to really get into without offending the rules on politics and I'm trying my best, but suffice to say that, while in general, I agree with people seeking to keep public property religion-free, in this case, I think honoring the vets should take precedence. Were I the decision-maker, I'd treat the memorial like a gravestone in Arlington Cemetery. Tearing down these historic monuments isn't what the law set out to accomplish. Preventing the creation of new ones? Well, fair enough, but there aught to be a grandfathering clause in these cases.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I question the posting of this thread, as there is virtually no way of it not getting political, which is against the rules here.

I'll ask only this: If the monument instead referenced Islam, not Christianity, in honoring the veterans, how many of those posting here and on the linked-to site would be similarly outraged?

Heck, there was huge outrage (mostly from those outside NYC, which is not untypical) when it was announced a Muslim community center would open some blocks from the World Trade Center site, and that wasn't even on federal land. I'm guessing many of those outraged commentators on that other site joined in those protests (or, at the very least, were supportive of them).

The irony's knee-deep and rising.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I question the posting of this thread, as there is virtually no way of it not getting political, which is against the rules here.

I'll ask only this: If the monument instead referenced Islam, not Christianity, in honoring the veterans, how many of those posting here and on the linked-to site would be similarly outraged?

Heck, there was huge outrage (mostly from those outside NYC, which is not untypical) when it was announced a Muslim community center would open some blocks from the World Trade Center site, and that wasn't even on federal land. I'm guessing many of those outraged commentators on that other site joined in those protests (or, at the very least, were supportive of them).

The irony's knee-deep and rising.

This is the reason 99% of the time, I'm against any sort of public religious monuments. In the event it gets torn down, I won't shed a tear. I agree with your 2nd paragraph 100%.

EDIT: I suppose the best answer is to allow a similar monument for every single religion on the same location, so that every single public religious monument becomes a huge, gaudy mall of twinkly gold iconography and Jesus figures whenever any is constructed.

Last edited:

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
The purpose of posting this thread was to draw attention to a particular event that is happening in our country pertaining to our World War 2 vets who fought to keep you and I free. I will not impose my political or religious views however some might agree with me that it is a big deal when a country's government chooses to remove a monument that has been in place for many years that is honoring the very men who made the ultimate sacrifice to allow them to hold a place in office. Many of these vets are no longer able to speak for themselves because they have passed away and I feel that their voice should continue to carry through the generations. Regardless, we cannot simply disregard this as a "religious" or "political" topic and turn our heads and let this happen uncontested. It is very important that the citizens of a nation know what is going on in that nation so that laws and regulations do not begin to show up without the people's knowing it.

PaidInFull24 said:
Many of these vets are no longer able to speak for themselves because they have passed away and I feel that their voice should continue to carry through the generations. Regardless, we cannot simply disregard this as a "religious" or "political" topic and turn our heads and let this happen uncontested. It is very important that the citizens of a nation know what is going on in that nation so that laws and regulations do not begin to show up without the people's knowing it.

It reminds me a bit of something that happened 15 years ago or so. Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA sits on the site of what had once been Santa Ana Army Air Base (SAAAB) during World War II. It was one of the largest training bases in the United States. A veterans group wanted to build a WWII memorial on the campus dedicated to all who served in "the struggle against "Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Imperial Japan." The proposal was kiboshed by the college because they felt that the terms "Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, and Imperial Japan" would be offensive to international students, particularly from those countries. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
It reminds me a bit of something that happened 15 years ago or so. Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA sits on the site of what had once been Santa Ana Army Air Base (SAAAB) during World War II. It was one of the largest training bases in the United States. A veterans group wanted to build a WWII memorial on the campus dedicated to all who served in "the struggle against "Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Imperial Japan." The proposal was kiboshed by the college because they felt that the terms "Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, and Imperial Japan" would be offensive to international students, particularly from those countries. :eusa_doh:

I suppose they could've omitted the three specifics. "Who served in WWII" would've achieved the same goal, without making anyone feel awkward.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
The Forest service says the new information came from the Montana State Historical Preservation Office, which determined that the site in question is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

That right there is probably what saved the statue. Ever try to cross swords with a Historical Society? You will lose. Around here we call it them "Hysterical Societies".

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24