Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Convert a humburg to fedora?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Interesting discussion - and I just got my first chance to check in on it. I think Bud did a really nice job with his remodeling, and TonyB's conversion looks really good to me. Both are encouraging. However, if I could just find the hat I want I wouldn't mess with a good quality homburg. I do agree that one can do as one wishes with a hat - I don't feel like I'm duty-bound to preserve them. I want to use them - although I take darn good care of them.

My own jury is still out. My frustration is that for some reason I can't find a vintage black fedora with about a 2.5" brim. I've bought three or four, and they always end up to have a 2" brim that has been mis-measured. That's just on the narow side for me.

I've seen comments here that there are lots of black hats on Ebay, but I sure can't find the one I want - something with the right brim width, and equivalent to the quality of an old Stetson or Resistol.

Does anyone have a 7 1/4 black fedora with about a 2.5" brim that they'd like to swap for the homburg? I can put up pix on Sunday when I return. The homburg is a very nice one with an unusual name that I've had for six months.

Edward

Bartender
Pilgrim said:
My own jury is still out. My frustration is that for some reason I can't find a vintage black fedora with about a 2.5" brim. I've bought three or four, and they always end up to have a 2" brim that has been mis-measured. That's just on the narow side for me.

Here's a thought..... and please note that I speak from purest ignorance, I'm sure someone on here could tell us better - but.... where should a brime bea meaured from? By any chance, are you looking at it from the perspective of "visible brim" (for want of a better term) - measuring from brim edge to crown on the top of the hat, whereas the seller is measuring on the underside, from the 'hole' out to the tip? I've measured a few hats both ways, and sometimes there can be as much as 1/2" of a difference, the measurement being longer measuring on the underside....

I might be way off-base here, but.... anyone can clarify where it should be done?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Edward, You are the first, I know of, to ask the question. All of a sudden, the light went on, and I realized why brim widths are sometimes overstated. My assumption has always been that the measurement should be the "top" of the brim, from the base of the crown to the edge of the brim.

Edward

Bartender
J.T.Marcus said:
Edward, You are the first, I know of, to ask the question. All of a sudden, the light went on, and I realized why brim widths are sometimes overstated. My assumption has always been that the measurement should be the "top" of the brim, from the base of the crown to the edge of the brim.

That sounds right to me too, though I wonder is theree a recognised standard - or even a prevailing custom - in the hat industry as to how this is done? I don't have enough experience to know, but your way of doing it makes most sense to me as that would represent the visible width of the brim, which is probably what most potential wearers are interested in knowing before they buy.

Feraud

Bartender
A quick measure of the top and bottom of a brim shows very little difference. Most of us here would know to exclude any thickness due to the sweatband.

I can see how a discrepancy can arise when one guy measures the top and someone else does the bottom. If you are questioning this measurement from a seller you can specify measuring from the base of the top of the crown to the end of the brim.

Perhaps one of our local hatters can clarify this for us.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
deanglen said:
I will modify any style of hat, any style.

dean

Ok, let's see a straw boater become a Panama! :rolleyes: Or a Top Hat into a news boy cap... I think I'll start to convert fedoras into Homburgs!

Listen guys, I don't want to sound snarky but, I believe that all this conversion stuff isn't necessary when there are still beautiful fedoras out there to be had.

I know my words and reason have fallen on deaf ears. If it's a vintage Homburg that is being converted, there will soon be a depleted amount of good quality Homburgs out there. Just like anything vintage... once it's all gone, it's all gone! These are antiques people, they're over 60 years old or more most of them... I have a deep respect for all that is old. I wear my hats most often times the way they come... I do very little shaping to them because they represent a unique and amazing generation... these hats and clothing are survivors of an era that is so rich in history.

I would steer clear of buying Homburgs if there isn't any appreciation of what the specimen is to start with. I think the thirst for fedoras has overtaken most person's reasoning. Never in my wildest thoughts have I once thought of converting a hat into something different then it is... like cutting the brim down or, taking bound edges off or what have you... I am amazed at what I find and what history may be connected to it.

For me, it's not so much a rule, it's just a respect to what it is... and trust me, I have respect for my elders!;)

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, how to think or whatever... I just want to make clear that what is happening can not last forever and one day, the price for Homburgs will be as high as the fedoras are or, higher! Just like the 30's and 40's Ford's... they once were really cheap... now, they are very pricey cars to be found in un-hot rodded or customized condition. And when they are found, brother, they cost more then a hot-rodded number.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Edward said:
Sharp looking hats - I like this one especially. :)

MVC-421F.jpg

Thanks Edward, that one is my hat. The others belong to another lounger, that ask me to shape them for him after he saw mine. It is the first homburg that I purchased and when It arrived, it just did not seem to work on me. I always try and make lemonade from any lemon that I may be presented with. I do not plan on making another for me, although I might would like a black one.

This is how it look when it arrived, it is a vintage Resistol "Ten"

MVC-388F.jpg

MVC-389F.jpg

As for soft or hard homburgs, some of what I posted were soft, some were stiff felt. Some were vintage, and some were current stock as well as a vintage custom. I dare say no one could tell from a photo what is what.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
You “Hat-Rodders” lol

I liked it the way it was before… but, I see a uniqueness in the design you came up with in the crown shape. I like the fact that you make it your own style and not convert it into a fedora... You leave it as a homburg but, style it differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn