Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cookies, get your cookies here!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I'm back on prednisone, a steroid drug that makes me have some serious cravings.
This time around, it's cookies.
So, we have threads about comfort foods, pies, candy, but have yet to talk about what I think (well at this moment, until the next craving) can be the perfect goodie.
There are so many different variations, each bit can be a tiny morsel packed with flavor. Now, I like a homemade chocolate chip cookie, but I don't go out of my way for one.
Right now my favorite cookie is made at a bake shoppe in the Prudential Center here in Boston. Lucky for me and my waistline, it's not that easy for me to get there at the moment. They have a white chocolate, macadamia nut soft baked, fresh from the oven with a hint of lemon. They are always served warm to the point of almost crumbling. The big hunks of white chocolate are firm on the outside, but nice and warm and melty with a bite. Whole pieces of macadamia nuts are dispersed throughout, giving this soft cookie just the right amount of crunch. I prefer a soft cookie over a crunchy one.
I don't know if anyone has access to Au Bon Pain, but they have quite a good cookie selection too. Hemingway is partial to their butter toffee kind. Nice and soft with small pieces of toffee and a hint of mollasses. They also make a great soft oatmeal raisin with the perfect amount of cinimmon. On the crunchier side, they have a lime sugar cookie, with a sprinkle of sugar on the top, crunchy on the outside but still soft in the middle.
One of my favorite cookies from childhood is a recipe made by my Austrian great grandmother, that my mom still makes exactly the same. They are called Mun cookies, they are a butter and almond based cookie in the shape of a crescent with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Sometimes, my mom dips one end into chocolate, but I prefer mine without.
Starbucks makes a great, big, soft shortbread sugar cookie that is really good. Borders bookstore cafe shoppe also has a soft baked white chocolate, lemon, and macadamia nut cookie that is really yummy too.
Our supermarket has a decent bakery. They make a soft baked sugar cookie with frosting and sprinkles. The color of the frosting always coincides with the season. I'm sure these piles of sugar are meant for little kids, but I still like them anyway. They are really quite sweet and packed with sugar.
For boxed cookies I like the Girl Scouts Caramel pin wheels, and am partial to a Vienna Finger every now and again. Nutter Butters are good too. But I prefer soft, fresh baked rather than boxed.
Still, for now, my favorite are the white chocolate macadamia nut fresh baked from the Prudential Center bake shoppe, wish I could remember the name of the place. I'm gonna go there tomorrow, and take all pre-cautions to try and not buy their entire stock of them!
So, anyone have a cookie downfall?? What's your favorite cookie, be it an old time favorite, a packaged kind from the store, or some new concoction that you have created in your own kitchen?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is probably good old homemade chocolate chip, fresh from the oven. Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, with the chocolate chips still all warm and melty. Yum!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Well, I'm back on prednisone, a steroid drug that makes me have some serious cravings.
This time around, it cookies.

Oh man i just got off that like 2 months ago!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
cut the cookie talk, I am dieting!

My grandmother makes a great cookie. It is jelly filled and frosted. I could eat a dozen!

A cookie if it's baked, a donut if it were fried.... :D

Nashoba

One Too Many
My Lithuanian/Cuban Jewish Great Grandmother on my dad's side made these cookies that were rolled and filled cookies...they kind of looked like biscotti but they were soft. They're made in big rolls that are cut into strips..She taught my mother and my mother only how to make them and gave her the recipe a very secret well guarded one. She wouldn't even teach her daughters how to make them, and my mother had to suck up for years before grandma taught her. My mom always considered it a great honor that she had taught her. To this day my mom makes big batches of them when my dad's mom comes to town so that she can bring them home and freeze them :). She makes them the most around the holidays and I can't wait to pick up a couple of loaves to bring home. Those are the cookies that my childhood revolves around :) I keep begging my mom to give me the recipe and so far she won't. She'll let me help her make them, but won't let me write anything down yet....I guess I havn't earned it yet :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Girl Scout cookies rock.

Yay for Trefoils!!! I just finished the last box I had squirreled away from this year's batch, and now I gotta wait till March to renew the supply. It's going to be a long winter...

As for homemade cookies, my grandmother used to make a rich, fudgy chocolate drop cookie we called "mudballs" --- and having thought of them now, I'm afraid I shall not long be able to resist the urge to make up a batch...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Girl Scout Cookies

While in college, in a moment of temporary insanity, I once
dropped $75 of GI Bill money on Girl Scout cookies; specifically
thin mints and peanut butters. Ranks right up there with the
time I registered for an 8:30 am German class....lol

The best packaged cookie in the world...

englishteastore_1921_21786093

McVities Hobnobs.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Rosie

One Too Many
I was on prednisone at one time. Hated it.

My favorite cookie would have to be homemade chocolate chip, my recipe. Here are the last batch I made:

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

I'm also partial to oatmeal peanut butter honey pecan something I made up one day when bored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav