Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It looks like they are bluer in most pics. NOt quite so green. Seems like a real good deal given size and width, condition and great look, as well as rarity. But I suppose you can only expect so much, especially these days.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Mine were malachite green -- as in GREEN! lol They were from the early 1950s. Suede works of art, but didn't go well with most other colors of clothing...

I would think maybe gray, or chocolate brown suit.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Saw that one Marc... John showed it to me one night... man, what a beautiful cloth!

How I wish it was my size, and how I wish that guy wouldn't wear JEANS with it in those photos! Why don't they get him to put the pants on and model it? Or put it on some mannequin? :rolleyes:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

I was hoping to bid on this overcoat but it went way to high for my budget. This is a fantastic piece of tailoring.

A good friend of mine won that piece! I saw it last night... oh man, the photos DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE! What a beautiful coat, when I saw it the Vitaphone Orchestra started to play 42nd street! Geez, what a cut, what pleats, what CUFFS!!!

Never have I ever seen a coat so interesting and so art deco!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
A good friend of mine won that piece! I saw it last night... oh man, the photos DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE! What a beautiful coat, when I saw it the Vitaphone Orchestra started to play 42nd street! Geez, what a cut, what pleats, what CUFFS!!!

Never have I ever seen a coat so interesting and so art deco!

Oi! Would you be able to get pics of it?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Well, I'm puzzled and flabbergasted.

This vintage early '50s tie (see link below) is incredibly rare. In addition to its racy, very unusual theme, it's one of a handful of designs by Al Capp, the cartoonist who created "Lil' Abner". The tie has his copyrighted signature right on it. I own a '50s Al Capp tie depicting "Sadie Hawkins Day", but this one is far juicier.

The question is, why did it go for so little? http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1940s-4...ViewItemQQptZUS_Mens_Ties?hash=item4cebf9fe8e

(Sure, the tie's a bit wrinkled and slightly misshapen, but all that can be easily fixed with some steam and pressure.)

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
I don't know about the seller of the shirt you mention, but I do know of one particular seller who seems to have done alright...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390114109457&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$495 for a mid-forties suit that wasn't even listed in any of the major vintage clothing sections on eBay? I have seen much nicer (and rarer) pieces go for far less in the past several months. Granted, Richman Bros. was a quality maker, and the suit is in supposedly excellent condition. The fabric has what looks to be a nice chalk-stripe to boot.

Still, none of this is enough to convince me this particular piece should have sold for so much. What was it about this suit? Is it better than I think? Was it something to do with the seller's story about the original owner, and how his 92-year old daughter decided to give it as a gift to her neighbors (who then chose to sell it on eBay instead of keep it)? Or was this just a bidding war between a few competitive buyers?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

Four wonderful Art Deco pairs of 1940s (maybe even '30s) socks. Deadstock! Cheaper than new socks made today! Only one freakin' bid.:eusa_doh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Vintage-B...ptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item58845470d0

http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Vintage-B...ptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item414a80b6d6

Nice, but they look a lot like something you could buy now. I would only pay big bucks for a distinctly vintage pattern/look. If I spent big bucks on socks, that is.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Nonchalant said:
I don't know about the seller of the shirt you mention, but I do know of one particular seller who seems to have done alright...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390114109457&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$495 for a mid-forties suit that wasn't even listed in any of the major vintage clothing sections on eBay? I have seen much nicer (and rarer) pieces go for far less in the past several months. Granted, Richman Bros. was a quality maker, and the suit is in supposedly excellent condition. The fabric has what looks to be a nice chalk-stripe to boot.

Still, none of this is enough to convince me this particular piece should have sold for so much. What was it about this suit? Is it better than I think? Was it something to do with the seller's story about the original owner, and how his 92-year old daughter decided to give it as a gift to her neighbors (who then chose to sell it on eBay instead of keep it)? Or was this just a bidding war between a few competitive buyers?

I don't know, but I smell a rat. The suit is size 40 with poor quality photos and description and barely a measurement until someone had to ask. Someone must have gotten super lucky, but I think something fishy is going on.

mike

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
I don't know, but I smell a rat. The suit is size 40 with poor quality photos and description and barely a measurement until someone had to ask. Someone must have gotten super lucky, but I think something fishy is going on.

Like what?

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:

Of note are the seller's enthusiastic responses in answer to the questions regarding sizing.

"Honestly this is an amazing old suit and I'm sure it cost a pretty penny way back when."

"Honestly it's a fantastic well taylored vintage suit."

Then again, who knows. It is a nice suit, just not that nice. It certainly lacks a great deal in it's presentation. In all likelyhood the seller probably just got lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo