Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sears Vertical Zip Map Pocket motorycle jacket

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Cor, imagine Thedi doing his spin on this!
90CAD96A-CCA7-46A6-A1CF-D37349E8C1FC.jpeg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
even between repros that thedi and that attraction have totally different vibe
thedi make the main collar curvy toward the snaps and the zipper beefier and more V than the original
attraction looks closer to the original but somehow the main zipper stops 3/4 way toward the lapel not all the way up

even between repros that thedi and that attraction have totally different vibe
thedi make the main collar curvy toward the snaps and the zipper beefier and more V than the original
attraction looks closer to the original but somehow the main zipper stops 3/4 way toward the lapel not all the way up

Check out the LW repro for yet another vibe. All cool.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I missed this one. How cool! I'm not sure if there are other leather labels in here, the lining is certainly unique. Certainly an early edition with the back pack zipper, the leather label says 1950 to me.

Appalachian made this throughout the 50s with both their label and Sears labels. They were Horsehide and Steerhide as shown here.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This such a favorite I now own 4 of them. Each a bit different. This is a size 40, as @Marc mndt said, these run a bit larger, so I can get this zipped, but not like the 42 I own.

I assume 2 of mine are pictured here. The one not pictured is from the late 40s and no doubt the first and coolest of the line. Someday

This Steerhide example is probably the last of the line, 1957,58

This guy lingered on ebay as the price dropped I got it. Too nice, too cool to pass. Maybe no one likes these?

1678396262661.jpeg
1678396368535.jpeg
1678396469854.jpeg
1678396579789.jpeg
1678396619392.jpeg
1678396650074.jpeg

1678396715129.jpeg
1678396738868.jpeg
1678396783961.jpeg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This such a favorite I now own 4 of them. Each a bit different. This is a size 40, as @Marc mndt said, these run a bit larger, so I can get this zipped, but not like the 42 I own.

This guy lingered on ebay as the price dropped I got it. Too nice, too cool to pass. Maybe no one likes these?

I do like mine. I wish another maker would introduce a repro. Lost Worlds is rather pricey, and their design isn't quite a copy, more an interpretation, of the original pattern. I've been wanting to get mine remade but it'll have to wait for my budget.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Seeing these two side by side begs the question - Was there a JC Penney version of this?

I've never seen a JC Penney jacket in this style with a vertical zip map pocket; As far as I can tell Appalachian "originated" this style in c.1947. There may be something earlier, I'm just not familiar with.
This was Appalachians police jacket for MC. they made different variation on the same chassis. they are making a similar jacket today (no map pocket).

Your Windward is interesting as it is not an Appalachian made jacket, I've owned this same Windward without the map or back pocket. I've seen a couple of others like it, but never with the map pocket. The Windwards are no doubt a take off on the popular Sears (Appalachian) vertical zip jackets.

No idea on the Windward maker.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Heres an old barn-find Sears one that I found on eBay a little while ago. Was a bit too beat up for me to bid though. Almost did though..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125877423264
That guy was rather tired. They don't show up often, but they do show up. I have one in the condition of the bay jacket, but just got it for the parts. Worth waiting for. My favorite of the MC jackets.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

AHP91

Practically Family
1st edition late 40s, coolest of the breed. Is this yours? I have one and see maybe 2 others. This lining is very similar to the early Buco linings. View attachment 554849 View attachment 554850
Very similar. Love the jackets with the unique linings. Yes, I was lucky to stumble upon it and more lucky that it fits well. A nice lightweight jacket with very cool features. Really enjoy wearing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner