Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Four wonderful Art Deco pairs of 1940s (maybe even '30s) socks. Deadstock! Cheaper than new socks made today! Only one freakin' bid.:eusa_doh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Vintage-B...ptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item58845470d0

http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Vintage-B...ptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing?hash=item414a80b6d6
reetpleat said:
I would only pay big bucks for a distinctly vintage pattern/look. If I spent big bucks on socks, that is.

$20 for four pairs of vintage socks? That ain't big bucks. :rolleyes:

filfoster

One Too Many
Bidding frenzy

Nonchalant said:
I don't know about the seller of the shirt you mention, but I do know of one particular seller who seems to have done alright...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390114109457&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$495 for a mid-forties suit that wasn't even listed in any of the major vintage clothing sections on eBay? I have seen much nicer (and rarer) pieces go for far less in the past several months. Granted, Richman Bros. was a quality maker, and the suit is in supposedly excellent condition. The fabric has what looks to be a nice chalk-stripe to boot.

Still, none of this is enough to convince me this particular piece should have sold for so much. What was it about this suit? Is it better than I think? Was it something to do with the seller's story about the original owner, and how his 92-year old daughter decided to give it as a gift to her neighbors (who then chose to sell it on eBay instead of keep it)? Or was this just a bidding war between a few competitive buyers?
Size: It was my size and I bid up to an unreasonable amount before someone else was even crazier for the suit.

filfoster

One Too Many
Lee Strasberg

Nonchalant said:
Of note are the seller's enthusiastic responses in answer to the questions regarding sizing.

"Honestly this is an amazing old suit and I'm sure it cost a pretty penny way back when."

"Honestly it's a fantastic well taylored vintage suit."

Then again, who knows. It is a nice suit, just not that nice. It certainly lacks a great deal in it's presentation. In all likelyhood the seller probably just got lucky.

I admit the 'chirpy naivete' of the seller's story and responses seemed too innocent, but the story doesn't matter if the item is OK. It looked pretty good and as I have posted, it was my size, which fueled my enthusiastic bidding. To a point. Then, I was content to let ambition run its course.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
filfoster said:
I admit the 'chirpy naivete' of the seller's story and responses seemed too innocent, but the story doesn't matter if the item is OK. It looked pretty good and as I have posted, it was my size, which fueled my enthusiastic bidding. To a point. Then, I was content to let ambition run its course.

To my knowledge, there are no real "rules" for how much men's vintage suits are worth according to their size, style and era of origin. Some ideas, some notions, but no "rules". It all comes down to how much one is willing to pay - which is as much as any piece of vintage clothing is worth, I suppose.

There is still something to be said for precedent, however, and in my experience there have not been very many mid-1940's double breasted suits that have sold on eBay for such a high price in recent memory, and in that particular size as well. Nor have I seen a comparable suit for sale in any vintage stores for anything approaching that price as of late, except in San Francisco, perhaps.

Please don't think I fault you for being willing to pay that price (or something close to that much) for a vintage suit. As far as I'm concerned they are very undervalued right now.

I guess it's sufficient to say that you and the winning bidder wanted it enough that one of you was willing to spend almost $500 for it, and that's reason enough for me.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
cptjeff said:
Good deal cheaper then modern wool dress socks, and just as nice.

They were nice enough alright, but there was a lack of 'salesmanship' on that listing.

I'd love to have some wild patterned (more wild than those) '30s or '40s socks but the ones I've handled in person either have no real elastic or what was once there is dead. Just a crunching sound when you lightly stretch the opening. That's what keeps me away from online buying of these old socks, and I'm not willing to go all-in and start with the garters.

Feraud

Bartender
One bid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350279366348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

!BfEiGOwBGk~$(KGrHqYOKj!ErzS2Sgr5BK+6wZhnVQ~~_12.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Really wonderful shoes, probably from the '40s or early '50s. I've been looking for a dark brown vintage pair exactly like these for more than 20 years -- really!

I've owned vintage pairs of dark blue suedes, dark green suedes, even light grey suedes ... but never, ever have I run into a dark brown pair in my size. Until now :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200408605590

Marc Chevalier said:

Really wonderful shoes, probably from the '40s or early '50s. I've been looking for a brown vintage pair exactly like these for more than 20 years -- really!

I've owned vintage pairs of dark blue suedes, dark green suedes, even light grey suedes ... but never, ever have I run into a brown pair in my size. Until now :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200408605590

Well, I'm puzzled and flabbergasted.

This vintage pair of shoes is incredibly rare. In addition to its racy, very unusual color, it's one of a handful of designs by Bostonian in that color. I own a white pair", but this one is far juicier.

The question is, why did it go for so little?

;) :p :p :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Well, I'm puzzled and flabbergasted.

This vintage pair of shoes is incredibly rare. In addition to its racy, very unusual color, it's one of a handful of designs by Bostonian in that color. I own a white pair", but this one is far juicier.

The question is, why did it go for so little?

;) :p :p :p

Congratulations, Mr. Powers: you've outchevalier'd Chevalier. lol

volatile

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Arrgh! At a Melrose vintage clothing store, I once saw an identical (1930s) Harris Tweed suit in teal blue. It was $35. I didn't buy it. :mad:

Doh!

$500 for that suit seems out of whack with the market, doesn't it?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

volatile

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
[huh] On the other hand, these '40s spade sole shoes by 'French Shriner' (an excellent American brand in the golden era) didn't get even one bid.

And that's why the "No links to Live Auctions" rule needs rethinking, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo