Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coolest 1939 N.Y. World's Fair item!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I never could have imagined that these existed. Vintage tuxedo shirt studs (for the shirt front) with a 1939 New York World's Fair theme. (In '39, starched bosom tux shirts often needed only one or two studs, instead of today's four.) Not cufflinks, despite what the seller says. It's a pity that the matching cufflinks have been lost:

------------------------------http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1939-NEW-YO...oryZ4168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

I never could have imagined that these existed. Vintage tuxedo shirt studs (for the shirt front) with a 1939 New York World's Fair theme. (In '39, starched bosom tux shirts often needed only one or two studs, instead of today's four.) It's a pity that the matching cufflinks have been lost:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1939-NEW-YO...oryZ4168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw a worlds fair Ford shift knob the other day on the bay....that was pretty darnned nifty too.......hehe

Marc Chevalier said:

I never could have imagined that these existed. Vintage tuxedo shirt studs (for the shirt front) with a 1939 New York World's Fair theme. (In '39, starched bosom tux shirts often needed only one or two studs, instead of today's four.) Not cufflinks, despite what the seller says. It's a pity that the matching cufflinks have been lost:

------------------------------http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-1939-NEW-YO...oryZ4168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, You could use them as cufflinks. ;) :p

Regards,

J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
World's Fair Spoon

I have a 1939 World's Fair Spoon that is sort of my most beloved possession. My great aunt gave it to me in 1951 when I was 4. It is silver plate, with the Trylon and Perisphere symbol at the top. The background originally had dark blue "night sky" enamel, but that wore off years ago. It's what I use to put the honey in my tea. I assume it's identical to Archie Bunker's World's Fair Spoon. I also have a 1933 Chicago Century of Progress spoon, that was a souvenir of my mother's.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I was told years ago that World's Fair cufflinks don't exist, because Fair souvenirs were meant for ordinary people who didn't wear such things as cufflinks.

Seeing tux shirt studs makes me wonder, though.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fletch said:
I was told years ago that World's Fair cufflinks don't exist, ...

You were misinformed. :(

Mvc-717x_edited-2.jpg

1939links1.jpg
9a04_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My favorite fair item that I've seen was a porcelain enamel kitchen table with the trylon and perisphere in blue and orange in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot