Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
Rather than dominating a general thread on caps I thought we could use one thread to show Johnny J's handmade caps.
There are warm days when even lightweight felts feel like too much hat. As summer approched I asked Johnny if he could make me a cap in linen. I wanted something to keep the sun out of my face and the heat off my head.

I received the cap last Thursay and as luck would have it we've had some 90+ degree weather in NYC. Based on my initial "test drive" the larger brim does an amazing job of keeping the sun out of my face. Even in the late afternoon there is enough brim to do the job. Linen is a fine material for keeping my head from baking from the heat. I never liked material sweatbands in caps and the leather used in Johnny's cap is very comfortable.

The construction is excllent. My wife sews and was impressed with the work. Johnny's vintage Singer put a nice zig-zag stitch in the leather sweatband. It feels as nice as it looks.

Here is what he came up with.
035.jpg

036.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

021.jpg

This thread could be an easy searchable reference for anyone with a question about Johnny's caps and to see them all in one place.
Thanks for looking and feel free to post your caps!

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Great idea Feraud! AFAIK I have the first cap that Johnny sold here. The style is quite different to the ones I already have and I must say that I love it! Fit and shape are extraordinary and I really like the thirties look. Mine is more for the colder days so I guess I have to get me another summer cap.... ;)

DSCN2790.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2802.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I wanted add my cap to the Johnny's thread. I remember this all starting when I purchased a Mr. Freedom cap last year as a christmas
present and how Johnny loved it so much that he ran down to Mr. Freedom to purchase one himself. Che did the same and so started the love of the 20's 8 dart cap. This cap was very popular in the beginning of the century and into the 40's when the 8 panel newsboy took over for some reason. I find the big brim and low front and high back of this style of cap as my favorite model. The 8 panel newsboys look like mushroom's to me.There are some that try to copy the silhouette of the 8 dart cap but they don't get the style just right. Like me Johnny love's his newsboy cap's and has spent the time to find out how to make one down to the nice leather sweatband and satin liner. EVery detail is thought about how the pattern in the fabric alines. Everyone who see's it just loves the 8 dart newsboy.

Johnny%20cap%201.jpg

Johnny%20cap%202.jpg

Notice in this picture how Johnny has spent time getting the pinstripes lined up properly.
IMG_2358.JPG

A view from the top of the cap shows off more of this handy work.
IMG_2360.JPG

A view of the rear of the cap showing the pinstripes matching.
IMG_2357.JPG

This last photo shows how nice the inside of the cap is finished off.

IMG_2355.JPG

An the hat sits up Just like the fellow in the front of the Famous H. Addison Bowie image.

6689430.jpg

8%20dart%20cap%20inside.png

Thanks Johnny for getting this great cap back into production so other's who love cap's can get their own 20's cap.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Bravo, Johnny!

Your caps will be fetching insane prices in no time at all. In the meantime, however, get ready for a barrage of orders.

Great work, sir. Keep following your bliss, please.

R

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A quick post to say that my new Cordova arrived. Here is a quick pic taken after afternoon gymnastics practice was wrapping up. Abbey, Level 7 USA Gymnastics, posed for me with the cap.

IMG2306-M.jpg

Thanks Abbey. She certainly looks sharp as she is waiting for Mom to pick her up.

Stay tuned folks as more pics and info coming.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Posed pics in the 90'F temps in the wanning light here in Minnesota. Jeepers, this is not my favorite weather, not in any way is it cap weather.

I would like to feature my brand new Cordova Cap. In the little time I have had it on my head, it is truly the best fitting cap I have ever owned. The leather really makes a big difference. Sweet! My bald head can instantly tell the quality of the headband. Some of the synthetic headbands, even with a partial leather band, are not even in contention with the luxurious feel/fit of this cap.

IMG2322-M.jpg

(The color is accurate in this pic.)

The material is a mid weight green. I love the color as it works for me. The green wool has some texture and color flecking that is apparent when you get within 6-8 feet. It adds a dimension that I like and will continue to please me when I have more chance to wear. I have pictured it with my Baracutta Harrington (EnglishTan) as I believe it will get a ton of wear in combo with this jacket.

IMG2317-M.jpg

IMG2314-M.jpg

The workmanship is grand! The stiches are done carefully. They are straight, no misses, even and under even tension. The leather band is well attached. I have confidence it can stand to hard wear. The liner is a satin fabric and is very lovely.

IMG2315-L.jpg

(I enhanced the color in this pic to showcase the interior fabric and details.)

The style will take some adjustment for me. This I already knew. I have admired the pics of the many posters on the forum. The pics are too many to identify all of those those who have showcased their loved 20's caps. and been of influence. A couple concrete examples are Ed or Che's many posts of like caps. I enjoyed their pics and they had me envisioning a similar cap. This Cordova cap is the 20's cap to a "T." Whether I can be comfortable under the bigger drape or style, only wearing time will tell. Initially I thought that it is a lot of cap on my head. When I compare my pics this evening they more like the afore mentioned caps than different. I am not used to the look. To truth, it was under encouragement from my wife that I persued the 20's look. She loves the classic old movies and has found the men in caps and fedoras familiar and of course many of those film actors handsome. I am not an actor, a film star, nor handsome. My wife works with the rough stock she has on hand. My wife will not be home for a couple of hours yet, so I do not have the "official stamp of approval."

If you love the 20's style - you need to own a Cordova! This is a top notch cap. A cap above all others that I have handled or worn.

IMG2308-M.jpg

Proud to be a client and preparing another order, Eric -

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
SBG
Now that's a Cool Cap !
I just showed your pic's to my wife Silvia & she say's you look Fantastic !
Reminded her of the Great Gatsby Film we watched last week !
Im on the block & Johnny J sent some prevue pics of my caps....
So i just scored some points when the package arrives....
I gotta have that stamp of approval too.
I betcha a Henley shirt & some suspenders with that hat & your back in time..
Thanks for posting the pics in the intense heat...
che

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Say thanks to your wife Silvia, Che. Her approval makes my evening!

My wife called and she is on her way. I will greet her with smoked fish, cheese and a salad. Even if she does not approve of her formerly approved "new look," she will have to be swayed by the food and service.

Good news on your hat from Johnny J. I can not wait to see what you will recieve.

On the henley and suspenders, I will take my fashion guidance from you. I will have to seek a henley as I do not yet own one.

Enjoy the evening, Eric -

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Eric, that last picture really shows how good it looks on you. Like a fedora a 20's cap does take confidence to wear. As it is such a strong cap like a good fedora that everyone will notice you. It's not a small drivers cap that will let one blend in to the Walmart crowd's. Try it draped to one side and cocked to get more comfortable with it. Of coarse it might be better worn in the cooler time of the year.:)

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Fantastic cap Eric! :eusa_clap I am quite in love with Johnny´s caps and although a different type of cap is now ordered form him I feel the urge to get another of his 20ies caps. I can only second your remarks to fitting and workmanship. Jeez, I need another summer cap.... :eusa_doh:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again Johnny! I do love the cap. Fit and workmanship #1. When the weather permits I will give the cap a good wearing. Expect to see it frequently on the What Are You wearing thread.

Che, Ed and Frank; Thanks for the thumbs up guys. I look forward for wearing time. I love what I see in the pics with the 20's caps. I am betting that it is like the felt fedoras for me. At first I was only going for stingy, then 2, then 2.5 and even a 3". Today they are all fine. The fedora works for me, I do not need to work the fedora. Thanks to all lookers and big thanks again to respondants.

If you wish a 20's-30's cap, you need a Cordova cap by Johnny! You will not be dissapointed.

Best, Eric -

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The caps are great. Just my taste...Parisian underworld chic, you know ;)
I will need to get one of your caps sooner or later.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
i got 2 Johnny J caps today
very cool................................................................................................
to be cont.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot