Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan steer vs Cordovan FQHH... and tumbling.

zebedee

One Too Many
I am considering a Teamster in cordovan but I want to avoid the bleeding effect as far as is possible. Does anyone know if bleed can be minimised through a certain hide choice?

I'm also thinning out the herd to make room. It's a terrible addiction.

I had both a Cordo steer and Cordo FQHH Bootlegger. There was no noticeable bleed on either one. The steer jacket was a shade lighter in color but did darken with wear and break in.

The most notable difference between the two is grain and weight. Both favor the steer. I have said it before and will say it again. Cordovan CXL is the most beautiful and indescribably brilliant leather on the planet. It's not even debatable.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Cordo steer!
D229D6BD-0AD0-431E-9BEF-34120B0B41A1.jpeg

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I had both a Cordo steer and Cordo FQHH Bootlegger. There was no noticeable bleed on either one. The steer jacket was a shade lighter in color but did darken with wear and break in.

The most notable difference between the two is grain and weight. Both favor the steer. I have said it before and will say it again. Cordovan CXL is the most beautiful and indescribably brilliant leather on the planet. It's not even debatable.

Do you mean the steer is heavier or lighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHainez

New in Town
In my experience the steer is a bit heavier and shows more grain.

Ton, how does the cordovan age in comparison to the standard CXL? Just wondering if there is a huge difference in tones between the two

Ton, how does the cordovan age in comparison to the standard CXL? Just wondering if there is a huge difference in tones between the two

I think the FQHH in general retains a bit more rigid nature while the steer tends to soften up quicker. I don't think the color matters. I've noticed this on all my CXL jackets and it's a huge part of the reason I choose the steer over the FQHH. I also like the added weight but that's a negligible difference based on batch.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
What Ton312 said - the CXL steer is exquisite in every way. I obtained a LHB in Cordovan CXL steer about 18 months ago. The hide(s) are absolutely perfect in every way. The leather has an almost silky feel and the character/grain is fabo! I have a somewhat vintage FQHH 1950's HB in black and it pales in comparison to the CXL steer. I've attached a few images of the left sleeve although the color is hard to capture. CXL steerhide is top drawer - period! No bleeding although some slight color transfer when I wear the jacket in my car with very light gray leather upholstery.

Mickiemac
s-1.JPG

s-2.JPG

s-3.JPG

What Ton312 said - the CXL steer is exquisite in every way. I obtained a LHB in Cordovan CXL steer about 18 months ago. The hide(s) are absolutely perfect in every way. The leather has an almost silky feel and the character/grain is fabo! I have a somewhat vintage FQHH 1950's HB in black and it pales in comparison to the CXL steer. I've attached a few images of the left sleeve although the color is hard to capture. CXL steerhide is top drawer - period! No bleeding although some slight color transfer when I wear the jacket in my car with very light gray leather upholstery.

Mickiemac View attachment 101763
View attachment 101764
View attachment 101765
fckya.gif

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The steer also gains sleeve creases very quickly. I was against the look until it finally happened with this Highwayman. I like it. And it smells better.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I have a cordovan LHB in FQHH, which I've had for a few years, and a brown Teamster in steer. I have never had any bleeding problems. I've read some post about bleeding but I believe they were older post attributed to a particular batch of Aero product. I agree the horse is stiffer due to its density where as the steer is softer. I find my horse repels water better.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a FQHH tumbled cordovan Board Racer which has bled a bit. It's closer to a mid-weight leather than the full-weight hide. I've been breaking in a standard FQHH Bootlegger which is considerably heavier but doesn't bleed at all.

I have a steer Aero Highwayman in cordovan with no bleeding. The steer is a bit heavier than the FQHH Aero is using now. The steer they used 6 or 7 years ago is a heavy hide. Don't know what they are using now.
New steer is lighter. My 2012 j 106 outweighed my new BL by a full 4lbs. TBH. I was a bit relieved when I discovered this. I loved the jacket. But it was like throwing a 50 gallon drum across my shoulders.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
^ look what global warming has done to the world... :p

I'm confused isn't a tumbling a dyeing process? like drum dyed? or is it an extra process done after the leather is finish?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo