Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Hats

Anders

One of the Regulars
Whenever I'm browsing a vintage store, there seem to be two corduroy fedoras for every felt. You know the kind I mean, the stingy brim, often brown, green, or cross-patterned. I assume there's so many of them because they're newer and therefore more prevalent than the felt hats I'm shopping for, but I don't really know much about them.

I've never really cared for the style much, but I've considered picking one up a couple times just because you can find them for so cheap. Anyone around here wear them often, and what do you wear with them? I'm sure one of you can change my opinion on the look.

Edit: Can't spell....

rrog

A-List Customer
I guess it's a personal preference issue, but for me, I don't have any corduroys and don't plan on getting any. Also, my guess is that when people think "vintage," they're thinking older than most corduroys. Maybe it's a poor analogy, but when people think of classic hot rods (vintage fedoras), they think '57 Chevy (fur felt fedora) rather than Ford Edsel (corduroy).

But you know what? If that's what you like and want, feel free to tell me to go jump in a lake! Again, personal preference rules the day.

rrog

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I'm thinking corduroy is more equivalent to an AMC Gremlin. An Edsel has much more interest and background than a corduroy fedora does. (sorry if I'm stepped on anyone's toes, there might be one in the audience that has a collection of classic Gremlins and a wall display of prized corduroy fedoras)

A cord hat would be heavy & not breathe well. I can see some use to keep your head warm in the winter but not for a rain hat unless it is well treated with Scotch Guard or something. I know some guys here like leather hats but they weigh too much to me as well & don't breathe. JMHO...

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your head man, put whatever you want on it.

I wear a Tilley, a lot of people like Tilley, but a lot don't.

Know what I mean?

Johnny

babs

A-List Customer
hehe Interesting. I'll bet more than one of us here though can remember a grandfather or a dad or uncle that had some cord or houndstooth or other similar crushable type utilitarian non-felt hat. Still a brimmed hat but was all about keeping the noggin warm than high fashion, for sure. :)

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
As with all hats it really is personal preference. I like corduroy trousers, corduroy shirts, and I even like corduroy flat caps :D , but for some reason I just cannot get my mind around the idea of wearing a corduroy fedora :eek: And the same goes for leather fedoras :eek: On the other hand I really do like cotton canvas style fedoras :D Go figure [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou