Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cortina - Cappelli Sportivo, Italy

AEH

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I found this hat a couple of weeks ago at a local thrift store, it's in very good shape for it's age. Tried to search the Lounge and the net, but couldn't find any information about this brand.

cortina_1.jpg

cortina_2.jpg

I was a bit surprised by the label telling this hat was imported and sold by I. N. Bruun, which was known for equipping Arctic expeditions and selling high class Polar souvenirs (like ice bear skins , walrus tusks) and local craft products to wealthy tourists. Obviously, they could also support a gentleman with more elegant headwear than a bearskin hat ;)

The label indicates that the hat was made before 1939, which were the year the city changed name from Trondhjem to Trondheim. I am not great on judging hat quality, but both the felt and the trimming seems to be of good quality. (There are also traces of a wind trolly that has been cut away).

cortina_3.jpg

A peculiarity: It's the first time I have seen the size tag in the front of a hat.

If anyone have any information about the Cortina brand, or could help with a closer dating, it would be nice to hear from you.

cortina_4.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Its a nice hat. Who made it is a mystery. Its not a Borsalino. There are so many factories that are lost in time. It could have been made by Barbisio, Panizza or Cervo or one of many other places that are long gone.
Steven
Bencraft Hats

AEH

One of the Regulars
Its a nice hat. Who made it is a mystery. Its not a Borsalino. There are so many factories that are lost in time. It could have been made by Barbisio, Panizza or Cervo or one of many other places that are long gone.
Steven
Bencraft Hats

Thanks for the input, besdor. A little correction concerning the age: the city's name change took place in 1930, not 1939.

SteveAS

That is a great hat . . . and I'm a 56.

As long as I have the pictures I am not emotionally attached to this hat. (And I believe my wife will be happy to know that I am not also starting to collect hats imported by shops in our city). So a serious offer (whatever that will be :) ), will be concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda