Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costumes of "Downton Abbey"

lareine

A-List Customer
Are there any resources for reading about the costumes worn in this wonderful TV series? I am slowly going through season 2 on DVD at the moment -- slow because I watch every episode multiple times to drink in every detail! Some of the dresses are stunning and even though it's set in WWI era a lot of the details would really enhance modern clothing. I'd love to find some similar patterns so I could use them as a basis for something slightly less post-Edwardian. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of the ones that have really piqued my interest, but for example there was a lovely dress worn by Lady Edith that had a v-neck collar at the back as well as the front. It was very pretty and I think it'd be lovely on a summer dress.

Any thoughts about the costumes in this show?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The second season hasn't aired here in the US yet, but I loved the first season...

This site is not in English, but it has hundreds of very high-res photos from the series:

http://fragilidad.ucoz.com/photo/103-0-3508

Anyway, I hope this is useful.

(Other parts of the site feature hundreds of stills from the various Jane Austen adaptations, assorted versions of Jane Eyre, and other costume dramas.)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just wanted to add that I am excited to see the show air the second season, and I agree that the costumes are lovely. Thank you for posting pictures.

The costumes reminded me of many of the patterns that Amazon Dry Goods used to have. I know at one time they had least 10 or so patterns from this time period a few years ago. Amazon dry good's specializes in patterns from the 1700s to the mid-1900s, with a strong focus on the victorian era. They also sell things like collars and shoes that are reproduction victorian. I'm not sure what is up with the company now, as the owner was quite ill a few years ago.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
The costumes are to die for. I think Lady Mary particularly had some cracking outfits. Although to be fair, i was coveting most of the outfits worn by the ladies!

We are indeed blessed here in the Uk to have a two hour, yes a two hour special on Christmas day, hurrah! I'm so excited. I hope all of you outside the UK get to see the special really soon too.

lareine

A-List Customer
Thanks Doctor Strange for the link to all those photos!

I hadn't realised Season 2 hadn't aired in the US. It has already been and gone in New Zealand but I held off until the DVD was released on Amazon so that I didn't have to deal with all the commercial breaks. It's so much nicer to watch a whole episode with no breaks. And you fans of Season 1 are in for a real treat with Season 2 which is just as good if not better than the first one.

I'm not surprised that the costumes have had some influence on high street fashion. I think just about everybody is ready for a slightly more demure and stylish appearance rather than the unflattering or downright ugly trends from the last decade or so. But of course there's no danger than such old styles will ever become truly popular again because the vast majority of women are unwilling to deal with the required underpinnings!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I believe they are saying that season 2 will be released early next year- Feb- in the US. Or at least that is when my local station said it would be playing.

Has anyone heard if there will be a season 3? Unless everything wrapped up in 2.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Indeed! We have to see more of the 'will they, won't they' Cousin Matthew/Lady Mary thing! I think our new series 3 starts sometime in January perhaps over here? I'm sure i read that in the paper the other day.

Drappa

One Too Many
I have to say although I love the show, season 2 was nothing short of ridiculous. The storylines became absurd, the historical inaccuracies even more so, and the whole thing descended into soap opera territory, but the costumes were grand.
There was an article in the Daily Fail a few weeks ago on how the show apparently is influencing high street fashion because sales for evening gloves and lace capes and tweeds has skyrocketed.

Faith Rudd

New in Town
I love Downton although I agree that series two was pretty atrocious - I'll still probably ask for the DVD for Christmas because it's such good fun and wonderful eye-candy. I wish the three daughters would get a little bit more fashion-forward now, they seem to have been wearing the same style throughout, only Edith towards the end was wearing anything that looked post-1914. Lavinia, on the other hand, was a lot more modern and stylish as a London girl. Next series will be set in the 20s which will be exciting to see! I think Michelle Dockery will carry off those costumes so well.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I agree that Series 2 overreached (to put it kindly) in the plotting, but I still enjoyed it very much. Here's hoping Series 3 rises to the level of Series 1 (while continuing to provide the eye candy we're all enjoying).

Faith Rudd

New in Town
Oh, the book is lovely! I bought it shortly after it came out because it was mislabelled in Sainsburys so I got it for very little, hahah ;) But the pictures are so sumptuous and there is a section on costume design. Apparently the buttons on the livery of the footmen have the crest of the Granthams on them. They made a crest just so they could put it on buttons! The attention to detail is incredible. It shows that the people who make it are complete and utter geeks, which I like.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Good costumes, shame the storyline went so soapy in Series Two. I'll still watch the Christmas Special and Series Three because I like nice costumes and sets. The story is completely incidental, in this case!

I saw that book mentioned above and I liked that they had Army Cap badges drawn up and made so they weren't using real regiments. As you say, Faith, attention to detail and no way they could possibly offend anyone in any way over what happens in the story. They get Brownie points for that.

swinggal

One Too Many
I've already watched Season 2 as I downloaded it. Has some great twists and turns but so many plot-lines going on. The fashion is slowly changing as they ebb towards the 20s. Season 3 will be well and truly into the 1920s and it will be wonderful to see what they do with the costuming then.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy