Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could some Gentlemen help out a girl here?

Emily C.

New in Town
Hello all, I need some advice here. A friend of mine is trying to find a modern suit that will look like a 40's style. Does anyone have any suggestions?

topcat

Familiar Face
Well Hello Ms Emily, TopCat at your service. New In Town myself.

I guess one of the first questions a veteran of the board here would ask you
is ,if there are any, if any, budget restrictions on this search.

If not, the made to measure departments of Brooks Brothers or Polo Ralph Lauren can accomplish such a task easily.

The less expensive way would be to look through as many thrift shops as you
can travel to.

The main features of yesterday's suits are high waisted in the pants and
narrow around the armhole construction ,and wider in the lapels as well.

If the necessary party happens to stumble across ,say , a double breasted
pinstripe in navy or grey in a thrift shop, one to two sizes too big, there are
alteration tricks a good tailor could pull off for you to give off a 30's to 40's look.

Many, and I say many a thread exists in the forums that have discussed at
length the very question you put forth.

I'm sure one of the veterans of the board could link you in the right direction
of a thread that discusses the answer to your question quite thoroughly.

A pleasure to meet your aquaintance Ms Emily. Ciao for now. I'll be in the nearest alleyway of this Fedora Lounge metropolis.

Of course if you're referring to a LADY friend that's a whole different stroll through the lounge. AHA! It seems that
Adamsgottschalk has the answer if that's the case!

I bid you adieu mon cherie.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Emily C. said:
Hello all, I need some advice here. A friend of mine is trying to find a modern suit that will look like a 40's style. Does anyone have any suggestions?
American Vintage Classics has some cool ladies suits here: http://www.americanvintageclassics.com/wsuits.html.

Also, I've read some ladies here talking about making their own suits. Perhaps you could convince one of them to make one for you? If you click on Advanced Search under the Search menu, you might be able to turn up some specifics.

Emily C.

New in Town
Oh yes, I needed to clarify that it is a gentleman friend I'm inquiring for. However, thank you for the ladies suit information, I sew vintage reproductions, but sadly I have little time to sew for myself and I have been looking for a 40's suit for myself!

Wild Root

Gone Home
You may want to PM Matt Deckard about this. He's had such ups and downs regarding coping vintage suits and styles. He's been almost 100% disappointed with what he has had made... even expensive tailors can't get the correct fit most of the time because it goes against they're training and all they have learned.

As already mentioned, there are volumes of threads that have addressed this matter already. I don't have the time right now to dig up a link for you (Have to get ready for work) but, if you were to PM me about it, I'll see that you will get the proper attention regarding this matter.

=WR=

PS. If your friend is a small guy or gal, he/she will have an easy time finding REAL vintage! Just some food for thought.

Emily C.

New in Town
topcat said:
A pleasure to meet your aquaintance Ms Emily. Ciao for now. I'll be in the nearest alleyway of this Fedora Lounge metropolis.

Thank you very much for your advice, and it is a pleasure to meet you as well!

Dashingemt

New in Town
Nordstrom Rack

I dont know what is in your area, but look for a nordstrom rack. It is like a HIGH end Ross. I have found a couple decent suits there for decent prices. Of course it is the luck of the draw....but its worth a shot

Emily C.

New in Town
Dashingemt said:
I dont know what is in your area, but look for a nordstrom rack. It is like a HIGH end Ross. I have found a couple decent suits there for decent prices. Of course it is the luck of the draw....but its worth a shot

Oh, I didn't think about that, I'll have to go and take a look. Thanks

Emily

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Dashingemt said:

I second this, I havne't got any suits there, but I get virtually all of my shirts and non-suit pants here. The stock changes often, but the prices can't be beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy