Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Outstanding! Is there anywhere we can hear your music?
Haha--thanks for the interest. That pic is one of my old bands The Kahuna Cowboys Jug Band--we've been retired for several years. We did 2 CD's and they're sold out. I was surprised to see a few tunes on our MySpace lol acct when searching Google: https://myspace.com/thekahunacowboysjugband/music/songs There may be the odd tune up on YouTube. I'm now affiliated with a Blues band "Cadillac Wreckers" http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/CadillacWreckers1 and a Hillbilly/Rockabilly type band "The Hotshot Drifters"--there's some content on YouTube. Cheers

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Once again, please accept my apologies if I offended you.[/QUOTE]

Hey Greg absolutely no apologies required. Its all good and no offense taken. I was poking fun at myself, actually. :)

Haha--thanks for the interest. That pic is one of my old bands The Kahuna Cowboys Jug Band--we've been retired for several years. We did 2 CD's and they're sold out. I was surprised to see a few tunes on our MySpace lol acct when searching Google: https://myspace.com/thekahunacowboysjugband/music/songs There may be the odd tune up on YouTube. I'm now affiliated with a Blues band "Cadillac Wreckers" http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/CadillacWreckers1 and a Hillbilly/Rockabilly type band "The Hotshot Drifters"--there's some content on YouTube. Cheers

Enjoying what I'm hearing so far...

Thanks!

Fantastic looking Montana's, Stringmaster. A real classic looking pattern.

JacketAddict I got no pics to prove it, but back in the 80s I had a little strap with some conchos on it and a chain that hung below the heel. Only had one, I was pretty poor back in those days.
I had the silver tips, too. Still got those, they're on a pair of plain black Noconas now. I still wear 'em once in a while. It's more rock'n'roll than cowboy, I guess, but I think they look pretty good. I got 'em from Tony Alamo, back in the early 80s when he still had a western wear place in Nashville. That was before all the rhinestone bedazzled denim and the religious cult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Stick around, Don. We'll have you in a pair.
Maybe. I've got high instep which makes a pair I can get on/off a real challenge. My last pair of pull on boots I bought when I was about 16. Something like these, but a squarer (wider) toe.
images

Maybe. I've got high instep which makes a pair I can get on/off a real challenge. My last pair of pull on boots I bought when I was about 16. Something like these, but a squarer (wider) toe.
images

High insteps are a pain in the A for a stock boot fit. Often times, if the foot wil fit into the throat of the boot the footbed will be too large. Customs? Don't know your age but harness boots were the thing when I was sixteen. All the cool kids made fun of my cowboy boots.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
High insteps are a pain in the A for a stock boot fit. Often times, if the foot wil fit into the throat of the boot the footbed will be too large. Customs? Don't know your age but harness boots were the thing when I was sixteen. All the cool kids made fun of my cowboy boots.
I don't remember many people wearing pull-on boots at the time, and I would guess we're about the same age. A lot of boots were ankle boots with zippers on the inner ankle. My next set of boots were "given" to me 11/1/72 in San Antonio TX. :) They laced up the front, were well made, but had no fancy stitching.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I do wear cowboy boots (thanks to Greg) and a cowboy hat but no horses here.
I wish I had a horse... but I can't support one. The expenses are too high (not to mention the horse cost itself).

Maybe. I've got high instep which makes a pair I can get on/off a real challenge.

High insteps are a pain in the A for a stock boot fit. Often times, if the foot wil fit into the throat of the boot the footbed will be too large.
Don, with your high instep to help ease a stock boot on & off try using one quick shot of food grade silicone spray on the heel slip & face of the throat. The key words to remember are FOOD GRADE (won't harm leather like regular silicone will) and QUICK SHOT (doesn't take much).

Also with a high instep stay away from flat-footed boots like Ropers & boots with the 1-1/4 & 1-1/2" walking heel.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
I got my first "real" pair of cowboy boots while in high school--I grew up in the South Bay area of L.A. so they were kind of hard to find. My friend and I each bought a pair of tall top full roughouts at a surplus store--those things got major wear all through H.S.--I kind of long for a pair of full roughouts for nostalgia's sake--maybe someday! I'd buy my western clothes like Lee jeans at an equestrian store. I had a pair of those harness boots too that I picked up in Az while on a family vacation. FWIW I used to be a straight up 9 1/2 D--easy to fit. Now I pretty much have to go custom/made to measure to get a good fit--feet do change over time! Also have a Jones for a pair of Pee Wees!

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Don, with your high instep to help ease a stock boot on & off try using one quick shot of food grade silicone spray on the heel slip & face of the throat. The key words to remember are FOOD GRADE (won't harm leather like regular silicone will) and QUICK SHOT (doesn't take much).
Think a retailer would allow me to do that as I'm trying on boots?

Also with a high instep stay away from flat-footed boots like Ropers ... .
Hmmm...looking at side shots of boots I think see how heel height could influence the ability to get a foot out of the throat and into the bottom of the boot. There's a geometry at work that I am envisioning, as well as remembering from the last time I tried to put on a pair. I guess another way to get my big ol' foot (12-13) would be a wider throat.

... and boots with the 1-1/4 & 1-1/2" walking heel.
Are you saying I'll need more than 1 1/2" heel. At 6'5", adding another inch or so (figuring about 3/4" for "normal" shoes), plus the inch or three from hats I'm starting to wear, seems a bit like showing off.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
If you can justify the $$ made to measure is the way to go! Paul Bond for example will guarantee fit and work with you to get it right.

Couple of tips for trying on boots in stores (we did this a lot when I sold retail) is to slip a thin plastic bag over your foot an slide in--also, standing up will facilitate a better angle to get a boot on vs sitting. Oh and there's instep stretchers for boots if you need them opened up a bit--of course you would have to commit first, and there is a little risk of tearing leather/stitching.

Think a retailer would allow me to do that as I'm trying on boots?
No. But another way to get around that is to spray the heel of your sock before going boot shopping.

I guess another way to get my big ol' foot (12-13) would be a wider throat.
Remember what BamaBoots posted; in an off the shelf stock boot a wider throat often means a bigger foot bed...which means a loose fit. The only way to get away from that entirely to go buy a custom made to measure boot.

Are you saying I'll need more than 1 1/2" heel.
Yes. The higher heel will open up the flat arch & come closer to accommodating your high instep. By the way, I am 6'5 also (on good days).

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Here's a story on the longest continually running custom cowboy boot shop in the country. I thought Smitty was done.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/staff/joh...cle_784ca289-95a8-53d0-9bef-15a52165ff28.html
Nice article. Here's my made-to-measure Bluchers--probably the best $300 I've ever spent! They're pretty well blown out at this point, but I can't part with them :) I seem to recall several changes of ownership, confusion, unavailability, etc later on--so I went Paul Bond as a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner