Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Chinaski

One Too Many
Okay kyboots, I can tell you want to keep this boot conversation flowing so I'll step up to the plate.

I'm not a Texan, so I don't have access to a custom bootmaker in every town. I'm in southern California so there are custom surfboard shapers in every town! Be that as it may I'm a boot wearer from way back and have had Tony Lamas, Noconas, etc. I currently own two pair, both made in Old Mehico. They are both well made, and there is a rich vaquero/caballero tradition in Mexico that is quite fitting in terms of boot wearing.

One is a pair of Stirling boots, and I've never really ever heard much about this brand. I've had them for probably 15 years and they're a great pair of boots. They fit perfectly and are extremely comfortable. The other is a newer, and somewhat more fashion-oriented brand - Old Gringo. I have a pair of Nevada model boots with stitching on the vamp. They have leather welts, heels and soles and lemonwood pegs, and nice leather vamps and shafts. They seem to be well made boots. I dig'em.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I'm not a Texan, so I don't have access to a custom bootmaker in every town. I'm in southern California so there are custom surfboard shapers in every town!

Being stuck in the same SoCal situation I’ve found several options. One, you can travel to Santa Monica to Falconhead and get measured for a pair of custom Tres Outlaws boots (the store is owned by TO I think). I have a pair and think they are wonderful boots. If a pair of $1K (starting price) full custom boots isn’t your thing, then Boot City online is the best I’ve seen for selection. Their customer service is really good, too. I’ve purchased several pair through them and always get prompt replies to all my questions. Having skinny feet I can never walk into a western wear store and buy something off the rack (you normal and wide feet folks have it made), so I have to rely on online specialty vendors.

By the way, I have a pair of Anderson Bean boots that are more comfortable than any pair of boots I’ve ever owned (including custom Tres Outlaws and Lucchese Classics).

I travel to Dallas a lot and there really are more boot places there than anywhere. Just down in the stockyards of Fort Worth there are three or four (Leddy’s for example). It’s all a tease for me and my B-width paws though. :(

I’m currently awaiting a new pair of Olathe boots in a cool textured black steerhide. Where is that UPS guy?????

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Another cowboy boot thread ...

Hey y'all, I'm new here, and having seen a thread on cowboy boots on this forum (about 25 pages long), I'd like to ask a boot-related question.

I already have 1 pair of boots (tan Lucchese 1883 mad dog goat), but I'm tempted to get even more pairs (at least one more, but maybe 2 or 3). I don't wear boots exclusively; however, I know folks who do, and they have 10, 20, 50, or even 100 pairs of boots. So for guys like me who don't wear boots exclusively yet want to have more than one pair, how many pairs would you recommend, and in what color(s)? Thanks in advance.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Black, and as many variations of Brown / Tan / in between those, as necessary. I try to rest all of my shoes a day between wearings, so really two pair is about all you really need.

Hope that helps.

kyboots

Practically Family
Mike is absolutely correct about giving the boots a rest day. If not they will break down faster. Wear what you like! I have a couple pairs of black boots, but I prefer the tan,light brown, colors most all the time. Over the years I have owned so many pairs I would not be able to count. I have always shared or donated or even sold the boots as new ones arrived.You can only keep so many, but they sure can be cool.There are guys out there with 50 pairs, which is a little obsessive,but really common. I love the Lucchese classic boots, but for daily wear will pick up some Tony Lama FQ Ostrich or even Wesco Engineers for comfort.I did have major problem having purchased size 12D boots for years up to xx pairs then having my foot change and now requiring a size 13. What a bummer and too many unwearable expensive boots.----John

kyboots

Practically Family
China/ Aaron get to the net to Boot City,Sheplers,Cavenders or even Zappos and get some more boots to try on.They will have "B" width. Once you find a company you like and the size then stick to it. This is the way I did Lucchese and Lamas. After a while I could wear the size perfectly.BTW China what about some pictures to see here? Same to you Aaron how about some pictures of what just arrived? I need to learn how to do that too ( pictures )----John

Chinaski

One Too Many
China/ Aaron get to the net to Boot City,Sheplers,Cavenders or even Zappos and get some more boots to try on.They will have "B" width.

BTW China what about some pictures to see here? Same to you Aaron how about some pictures of what just arrived? I need to learn how to do that too ( pictures )----John

I'm a regular D width. Aside from that, you read my mind! This thread needs some pictures!!! I'll see what I can do, but the rest of you please consider this encouragement as well.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
There is a formula for the perfect number of boots. It's Current number of boots (X) + 1=perfect amount. So far it's worked for me. :)

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Aaronlowe:

1. How many pairs of boots do you currently have?

2. Do you wear cowboy boots exclusively?

Oh wait, never mind the first question. I saw a previous thread of yours where you posted pics of your boot collection. Man, those are some nice boots you got!

Last edited:

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
China/ Aaron get to the net to Boot City,Sheplers,Cavenders or even Zappos and get some more boots to try on.They will have "B" width. Once you find a company you like and the size then stick to it. This is the way I did Lucchese and Lamas. After a while I could wear the size perfectly.BTW China what about some pictures to see here? Same to you Aaron how about some pictures of what just arrived? I need to learn how to do that too ( pictures )----John
John, Not to argue but Zappos does not carry a single pair of B width mens cowboy boots. Nor have I seen more than 1 or 2 pair in any western wear store. I'm lucky enough to travel to Denver at least once a month and the largest Sheplers I've ever seen is there and they simply have no B width mens in stock. They can order Lucchese, but nothing is ever in stock. Same goes for my local Boot Barn and any other one I've been to.

Chinaski

One Too Many
So for guys like me who don't wear boots exclusively yet want to have more than one pair, how many pairs would you recommend, and in what color(s)? Thanks in advance.

Firstly, welcome to the Lounge, Mercer! If I put a little thought into what you're asking, I believe it boils down to how many pairs and with what type of hide/finish do you need for your particular wardrobe. That said, I think you are the one who needs to answer that question.

My boots tend towards the casual, to be worn with jeans. The pairs I currently own will not take a shine as they are either rough goat or cowhide. They are not work boots, per se, but are worn with casual clothing. I like a pointy toe. There are plenty of other combinations.

So it really depends on your intended use. Are you going to use them as work boots? Hard to beat a wellington/roper style with rough or oil finished bull or other tough hide. Are you looking for dress boots that can take a high shine? Will you wear them with a suit? You see what I'm getting at. We can maybe give you more info if you have more specifics to add.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Firstly, welcome to the Lounge, Mercer! If I put a little thought into what you're asking, I believe it boils down to how many pairs and with what type of hide/finish do you need for your particular wardrobe. That said, I think you are the one who needs to answer that question.

My boots tend towards the casual, to be worn with jeans. The pairs I currently own will not take a shine as they are either rough goat or cowhide. They are not work boots, per se, but are worn with casual clothing. I like a pointy toe. There are plenty of other combinations.

So it really depends on your intended use. Are you going to use them as work boots? Hard to beat a wellington/roper style with rough or oil finished bull or other tough hide. Are you looking for dress boots that can take a high shine? Will you wear them with a suit? You see what I'm getting at. We can maybe give you more info if you have more specifics to add.

Thanks for the welcome! My tastes in boots are basically the same as yours -- I prefer to wear boots with jeans and occasionally khakis, but never with suits. For that reason, I much prefer non-shiny boots as well. As for toe, I prefer either midway between pointy and round or snip-toe (which is what my tan mad dog goat Lucchese 1883's are ... but then again, whether I go with a snip-toe or not depends on the boot -- with these the snip-toe just looked more "right").

Here's a pic of the boots: http://www.lucchese.com/products_detail.php?id=23

Just for the record, I'm strongly considering a pair of Lucchese Classics for my next pair, maybe two. I know that I want a pair in black, but most black boots I've seen (regardless of brand) are too shiny for my taste except perhaps for this one:http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1535&Category_Code=

And then I'm tempted to get a pair of darker brown boots of some kind ... but then again, I already have a pair of Red Wing Pecos boots in dark brown (not sure if I should count them as cowboy boots): http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-win...hoes/1155-red-wing-mens-11-inch-pull-on-brown

I also like reddish tan (aka cognac) boots like this: http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1537&Category_Code= and this: http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1660&Category_Code=

Now I'm curious, so I'm going to ask you the same question I asked Aaronlowe:

1. Do you wear boots exclusively?

2. How many pairs do you have?

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome! My tastes in boots are basically the same as yours -- I prefer to wear boots with jeans and occasionally khakis, but never with suits. For that reason, I much prefer non-shiny boots as well. As for toe, I prefer either midway between pointy and round or snip-toe (which is what my tan mad dog goat Lucchese 1883's are ... but then again, whether I go with a snip-toe or not depends on the boot -- with these the snip-toe just looked more "right").

Here's a pic of the boots: http://www.lucchese.com/products_detail.php?id=23

Just for the record, I'm strongly considering a pair of Lucchese Classics for my next pair, maybe two. I know that I want a pair in black, but most black boots I've seen (regardless of brand) are too shiny for my taste except perhaps for this one:http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1535&Category_Code=

And then I'm tempted to get a pair of darker brown boots of some kind ... but then again, I already have a pair of Red Wing Pecos boots in dark brown (not sure if I should count them as cowboy boots): http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-win...hoes/1155-red-wing-mens-11-inch-pull-on-brown

I also like reddish tan (aka cognac) boots like this: http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1537&Category_Code= and this: http://store.bootamerica.com/mercha...e_Code=B&Product_Code=LucL1660&Category_Code=

Wow! You posted some good links and gave some good info. Yeah, I think you're right. Our tastes are very similar. I don't currently own a pair of black boots but liked the non-shiny Lucchese's as well. I'm not sure I'd call the Red Wings cowboy boots either. I'd call them work boots.

So to answer your questions: No, I do not wear boots exclusively. I work in a more formal environment. After work, however, they are my footwear of choice, aside from beach-time, etc. All told I own 5 pair.

Based on your last post, I'd say Aaronlowe has it right - the correct number for you is X + 1. Seriously, you seem to like boots so the right number depends on your wallet/discretionary cash. If you have the money, you seem to have the desire.

Horseman978

New in Town
I did have major problem having purchased size 12D boots for years up to xx pairs then having my foot change and now requiring a size 13. What a bummer and too many unwearable expensive boots.----John

Man, I thought *I* was the only guy this scenario happened to. I can definitely share your frustration there.

-Bill, also now a 13

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars

Hey Mercer,

Sorry I didn’t catch that part of your questions. Welcome to the forum!

I don’t wear them exclusively, but I wear them more than I do most other shoes. I’m lucky that I work from home most of the time, and when I do go to the office it’s in Denver (where boots are commonly worn in business district) and I tend to wear them there, too.

However, I do not wear full “cowboy” regalia (for lack of a better term). I wear boot cut jeans and matching belts that are not western style. I usually wear a designer tshirt, snap button ss or thermal. Ironically, my office is 2 blocks from the famous Rockmount store.

As far as how many pair I own, I seem to always be lusting after a new pair and selling a pair that I’m not wearing much any longer. The skinny round toe, high polish boot is not so much in style any longer, and the big wide square toe with double row sole stitching is the new thang. Granted I have both, but my traditional black Lucchese Classics in cherry and black goat don’t see much use these days. The best thing I can tell you is get what you like and if they fit well wear and enjoy them. Cowboy boots are a statement and not everyone will wear them. I’m a cyclist and in my skinny, shaved leg community of buddies mostly wear shorts and flip flops. After a ride and I clean up, I’m wearing jeans and Mercedes boots. It’s all in what makes you happy.

kyboots

Practically Family
Man, I thought *I* was the only guy this scenario happened to. I can definitely share your frustration there.

-Bill, also now a 13
Oh! Man: Bill we need to hit over an all "size 13" boot store. It really hurts when you can't wear a favorite pair you have worn for years! I bascialy had to start over on a daily collection to maintain the boot look for work and dress. For dress I still wear an expensive pair of Lucchese gator size 12d but just big enough, but for work it has to be more comfort and newer appropriately larger sized boots. Any size 13 out there wanting to sell? -----John

Last edited:

Rottweiler

New in Town
Anyone have any experience with boots for feet with narrow heels? I'd like to spring for some Lucchese Classics as every day boots. I'm concerned that, fitting correctly for the ball of my foot (~3.75"), they'll be too loose at the heel (~2.5") for the slippage of a new boot to reduce with wear. I'd hate to spend a lot on walking boots that won't be able to fill their purpose.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I have narrow heels and a wide toe area. Lucchese boots are the only stock boots I can wear. They fit me almost as well as a pair of custom Tony Llama boots I have.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I have always had a pair of Justin Ropers. They have a low "walking" heel, instead of the higher heel. I think they are classier, more dress-up boots, but I wear them for casual stuff all the time.

You can find them for @ $100 at western wear stores. They come in a bunch of different colors & sizes. I would highly recommend them.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24