Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

I just really lucked out recently on cowboy boots. Got a pair of Durango's for 50 bucks on clearance. There was one pair left, and they just happened to be 13EE. My lucky day!

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Anyone have any experience with boots for feet with narrow heels? I'd like to spring for some Lucchese Classics as every day boots. I'm concerned that, fitting correctly for the ball of my foot (~3.75"), they'll be too loose at the heel (~2.5") for the slippage of a new boot to reduce with wear. I'd hate to spend a lot on walking boots that won't be able to fill their purpose.

Rotti, You should look for an experienced fitter in your area and try on different boots in different widths. The heels will fit differently with different widths. I used to buy D width, then went to B width because I learned a bit more about good boot fit. Now I wear an A width after spending time with a very good fitter and trying on different boots. Widths also vary from brand to brand so keep that in mind. All that being said, try Lucchese Classics to start with.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
These are Panhandle Slims- not sure of exactly when from, but they'd never been worn when I got them. I didn't know they made boots- I only knew about their shirts, but they seem to be of pretty good quality- pegged leather soles, feels like good quality leather on the shafts.

IMG_0035.jpg

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I've gone through quite a few pairs of western boots and various styles of lace-up work boots. I've found Durango products to be the best boot for the money.

I have a pair of Durango motorcycle boots that I've had for five or six years and they've worn like iron. I also have a pair of Durango loggers that I've been trying to wear out for the past three years and they refuse to give up the ghost. Actually, they still look practically new!

They make a variety of styles and I believe they're still made in the U.S.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Are cowboy boots hot?

Do Lounge members from hotter areas, say the southwest, find cowboy boots hot to wear? What socks make the most sense? Light wool? Presumably cotton is a no-no.

Harry.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
I've gone through quite a few pairs of western boots and various styles of lace-up work boots. I've found Durango products to be the best boot for the money.

I have a pair of Durango motorcycle boots that I've had for five or six years and they've worn like iron. I also have a pair of Durango loggers that I've been trying to wear out for the past three years and they refuse to give up the ghost. Actually, they still look practically new!

They make a variety of styles and I believe they're still made in the U.S.

I wish that were true, but no, I'm afraid Durango boots are now made in China and have been for quite some time. It's a shame too because they offer some good-looking boots!

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Do Lounge members from hotter areas, say the southwest, find cowboy boots hot to wear? What socks make the most sense? Light wool? Presumably cotton is a no-no.

Harry.

Yeah, cowboy boots can be hot to wear, which is why a lot of folks, myself included, don't wear them during the summer at all.

As for socks, I think most folks wear cotton socks with their boots. I do. Heck, most boot socks have some cotton in them, even though the primary material may be acrylic. But then again, I currently wear long athletic socks with my boots. I even once had a few pairs of old-school long white tube socks with stripes at the top that I wore specifically with boots!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
As far as Cowboy Boots go, I love my Ariats with a square toe. They are some of the most comfortable boots that I have ever owned.

Kirk H.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face

Love to have a pair of those in black. Dig the toe

The only pair I have is a pair of Acme boots from the early 60s that my dad gave me. He got them from some guy who left them at the house of one of his bandmates. They were apparently worn on a couple of episodes of The Rifleman by this guy, who had a bit part on a few episodes. Unfortunately they're a bit too small for me.

There's a guy here in LA that makes some real nice boots, but they start at $1K for a plain pair last time I checked (about 5 years ago).

http://riffraffleather.com/

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Yeah, cowboy boots can be hot to wear, which is why a lot of folks, myself included, don't wear them during the summer at all.

As for socks, I think most folks wear cotton socks with their boots. I do. Heck, most boot socks have some cotton in them, even though the primary material may be acrylic. But then again, I currently wear long athletic socks with my boots. I even once had a few pairs of old-school long white tube socks with stripes at the top that I wore specifically with boots!

I judge the fit of all my cowboy boots while wearing Thorlo ski liner socks. They wear like iron and never lose their elasticity. No padding in them whatsoever, but good boots mold to your feet anyway. I've worn them all day long at events, standing for hours at a time, and haven't had too many issues. Not as comfortable as my Asics trail runners, but a heap less fugly.

Oh, helps a bit in the summer too (I live in the SoCal desert), but boots are hot, no doubt about it.

kyboots

Practically Family
Bought my first pair of Lucchese back in the 90's in Dallas. They would come to the hotel and take you to their store.The salesman would sign and date the inside when you purchased the boots. Of course I still have them, a wonderful FQ ostrich with "R" toe that is still made. Sells today for about a grand. Felt great first time I wore them and never took them off. Walked miles in New York the following weekend and loved them; turned some heads! My dress boots are "belly alligator" Lucchese "black cherry". Lama FQ ostrich are worn for work. --John

BTW: SGT, Mercer, and Dinnerman all nice boots! Love the look Dinnerman!

Last edited:

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
I wore work boots for almost 30 years until I retired from the RR.
Now here in Santa Fe, you can find lightly-worn-to-well-worn boots of all kinds at the local flea markets.
I've picked up a few nice Tony Lama Black Label western boots (brown, gray buckaroo, and brown roper), as well as a Nocona in black, and a couple of nicely-made Mexican boots.
One of the Mexican-made western boots is made of reddish-colored eel skin for when I want to pimp....er....hit the town.
Lots-o'-fun.....................................................................................

Steve

Fifty150

One Too Many
It started out with just one pair. Now, I'm embarrassed as to how many pairs of Tony Lama I own. I wear mine even with semi formal & formal. Yes. A Californian with cowboy boots in black tie & white tie. And I always were them to court.

kyboots

Practically Family
It started out with just one pair. Now, I'm embarrassed as to how many pairs of Tony Lama I own. I wear mine even with semi formal & formal. Yes. A Californian with cowboy boots in black tie & white tie. And I always were them to court.

OMG mine fill the closet too, but love them. JUST ordered some "David Beckam" boots. Sendra Engineers, never had a pair of Sendras before. Can't wait to get them.--John

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've forgotten what brand they are -- not one of the big names, certainly -- but my one pair of non-roper boots are dark brown/almost black goatskin (so I was told). Picked them up at a fire-sale price at a Western wear store in Denver that was going out of business in the fall of 1997. Since I don't wear 'em that often (The Swamp is far too hot and humid for far too much of the year), I've only had 'em resoled twice in that time.

The ropers are medium brown Justins I bought at a local WW store even before that. I've thought of replacing them -- but the price of even ropers (when you can find 'em) is insane today. Almost as insane as that of standard boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran