Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowhide A-2 Jacket

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Chuck,

Are you talking original or a repro..? Repros should be easy, now originals, well supposedly the AAF only issued goat and horse. Well, some speculate steer/cow was used but no one knows for sure. [huh]

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I'm purchasing one from Flightjacket.com. I thought that the originals were cowhide - I must have been mistaken. Ideally, I'd like a jacket exactly like the one Henry Winkler wore in the very early episodes of Happy Days. The leather looked well worn and I assumed that it was cowhide. This type of jacket seems very classic to me.

Thanks,

Chuck

Peacoat

Bartender
There is no way to tell if a jacket is cow or horse by seeing it on the screen. I have also heard there is no way to tell the difference by looking at the jacket in person. I have a steer Aero, and the difference between the horse is indistinguishable. The steer stands on its own bottom and sleeves, just like the horse. Get whatever you can find and enjoy it! If you go Aero, you won't go wrong.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
There is no way to tell if a jacket is cow or horse by seeing it on the screen. I have also heard there is no way to tell the difference by looking at the jacket in person. I have a steer Aero, and the difference between the horse is indistinguishable. The steer stands on its own bottom and sleeves, just like the horse. Get whatever you can find and enjoy it! If you go Aero, you won't go wrong.

I agree with you. Some say they can tell the difference, but I really don't think they can. DNA testing, other than that it's impossible. Yes, Steer Aeros are terrific and less expensive than their horse. A good deal indeed. If you can find a used one, even better. The Dollar/Pound exchange rate is terrible right now, so buying a used one might be the way to go.;)

cgab1

One of the Regulars
This is good to know. Thanks for the input, I'll go with the horsehide.

Chuck

Peacoat said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy