Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crimpers / Wavers?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have fine shortish hair that's in a bob, around the mid neck length. I usually pin it up, or do victory rolls at the front and use clip on extensions at the back for length if I'm going out, but what I would really like to try is a 30's finger wave.

Now, I know me, and I know that I'm never going to manage finger waves, or have time to do a wet set. I will eventually, I promise, but what I really want is a shortcut!

I recently thought of those heated crimpers (not the 80's small ones, but the ones that do bigger waves). I'm tempted to give them a go.

Has anyone tried them? Will I look as if I have put my finger into a socket? Is it a terrible idea?

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
My daughter got one for Christmas that has 3 barrels - it works pretty well and it's a cheap one. You have to crimp in sections down the length of the hair of course, but it's the same for a flat iron or other heat appliance. Using it on her hair, it produced a nice wave, but not so much a 30s finger wave. I didn't work at it though. I was at an Ulta store over the weekend though, and they have some very nice, very deep-wave irons that you might have better luck with. Instead of say, 1" barrels, it had 1.5" or 2" barrels, so that the wave between the 3 would be deeper and more extreme. Post pics if you use one!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I would suggest a smaller barreled "marcel" clamp curling iron. You alternate which direction the clip goes to form the wave -- I think there is a video showing this somewhere. You can get a very nice wave pretty quickly and can control the depth. Then you can use the iron for other curls as well.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I would suggest a smaller barreled "marcel" clamp curling iron. You alternate which direction the clip goes to form the wave -- I think there is a video showing this somewhere. You can get a very nice wave pretty quickly and can control the depth. Then you can use the iron for other curls as well.

Do you mean a regular curling iron? I must admit that I'm a bit nervous of direct heat on my hair as it is highlighted and quite fragile.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Do you mean a regular curling iron? I must admit that I'm a bit nervous of direct heat on my hair as it is highlighted and quite fragile.

Yes, although I have one with an "ionic" finish to it -- and believe it or not it does seem to keep my hair a lot smoother than one without. A crimper or waver will do the same thing heat-wise to your hair. This is the style I have, except mine is 3/4": Fusion Tools Marcel. Some women swear by a thermal setting lotion that protects your hair from hot tools.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I found the video. When I do it, it actually takes less time and the marcel grip of the iron makes my wave much deeper. If you have wave clips, they make the wave stand up a bit more instead the alligator clips that she uses in the video. There are a number of good related videos that pop up when you go to youtube as well.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I bought one of the three-barrel rollers and I haven't used it for awhile. When I did, as was mentioned here, the waves were rather superficial. It works if you want to skim the surface of the look--I may just put longer hair in a low bun (aka more 1919 style than 1929) and do the front part of it with the 3-barrel...I may try it again so that I can give a better perspective on it for you.

I am INCREDIBLY intrigued by the modern marcel, I wasn't aware that they made them aside from those frightful ones that are just metal rods heated up--I have a vintage curler but I'm afraid to use it. Ah, another thing to add to the vintage style list...

What have your results looked like with the marcel iron?

Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I found the video. When I do it, it actually takes less time and the marcel grip of the iron makes my wave much deeper. If you have wave clips, they make the wave stand up a bit more instead the alligator clips that she uses in the video. There are a number of good related videos that pop up when you go to youtube as well.

Thanks jetgirl. As I have a bob I just wondered if I will end up with a triangular hair do or a sad floppy mess!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I bought one of the three-barrel rollers and I haven't used it for awhile. When I did, as was mentioned here, the waves were rather superficial. It works if you want to skim the surface of the look--I may just put longer hair in a low bun (aka more 1919 style than 1929) and do the front part of it with the 3-barrel...I may try it again so that I can give a better perspective on it for you.

I am INCREDIBLY intrigued by the modern marcel, I wasn't aware that they made them aside from those frightful ones that are just metal rods heated up--I have a vintage curler but I'm afraid to use it. Ah, another thing to add to the vintage style list...

What have your results looked like with the marcel iron?

Marcel refers to the kind of clamp on a curling iron, many brands are made with the marcel grip. Here is a Hot Tools page with both grips on it. They take getting used to, but they are not rocket science. I am able to use one and I am not a hair person. I have one that is 3/4" and one that is 1/2" -- which is probably pretty close to the vintage ones. The results are good wave-wise, but do not look exactly like a wet set finger wave (which I haven't mastered anyway :p). It's a cheat, but cute and vintage looking to all but the obsessed. The Hot Tools Deep Waver does look interesting though-- I wonder if this makes a better wave than the 3 barrel ones. All the youtube videos I've seen has used this only on long hair.

~Kate~

New in Town
Has anyone tried using an antique hair crimper? I have seen a few at a very good price and really want to try one. I'm just a little worried about frying my hair :S

monicacaroline

New in Town
I do not recommend a waving iron for a vintage look. I have tried a few times and it just burned my hair like crazy and made me look like a poodle. Maybe it could work for a bob? But again, if you're concerned about heat damage I would say pass.
I have seen the marcel iron waves done with this kind of curling iron http://www.flickr.com/photos/16sparrows/2071367819/ and I think you can get this type of iron pretty easily from Sally's or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo