Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crochet anyone?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Those snoods are so pretty!

I don't crochet, but I knit and I'm learning to spin wool.

I just finished some knitting for a major movie that's currently being filmed. I can't really talk about the movie because the director is keeping it hush hush right now. A friend of mine who is working as a prop manager on the film asked me to knit up some items for one of the characters in the movie. I'm bursting at the seams right now because that's all I can say about it.

And I'm currently working on knitting some sailor caps from a set of 18th century instructions.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
Those snoods are so pretty!

I don't crochet, but I knit and I'm learning to spin wool.

I just finished some knitting for a major movie that's currently being filmed. I can't really talk about the movie because the director is keeping it hush hush right now. A friend of mine who is working as a prop manager on the film asked me to knit up some items for one of the characters in the movie. I'm bursting at the seams right now because that's all I can say about it.

And I'm currently working on knitting some sailor caps from a set of 18th century instructions.

I'm sooooo curious.......I want to know. Let us know when you're able to. Don't want you to get in trouble.

la vie en rose

New in Town
I started learning to crochet a few months ago, and I must say, I actually find it more satisfing, and more versatile, than knitting! It's such fun to create almost anything from some yarn and a single hook.
A friend showed me the basics and I started with a large number of granny squares. They're great - you can leave them alone as a dishcloth or attach to each other for blanket or hats or clothing.
Best of luck - and enjoy!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
I'm working on a scarf right now and it's looking alright. It's okay for a first try. When I'm finished I'll be sure to post a picture.

I looked at the pattern for snoods, but I'm really having trouble understanding them.

treble, st., tr., meshes, rem, .....etc. etc. etc.

Is there a crochet dictionary of some sort to help with reading patterns?

leaette

A-List Customer
retrobabydoll: i highly recommend just making your scarves and a bunch of dishcloths before you start on any snoods.
i've been crocheting for years and consider myself somewhat experienced and i just started my first snood last week. for me, it wasn't hard, but there were a few spots where i had to sit and think about what the pattern was saying. and i think if i was a beginner, i would be completely lost.

this website is a big help:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/

http://www.yarnstandards.com/crochet.html

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
how long do you think it took to make your snoods, and how much constant thought went into it? are you counting each stitch you make, or is it more mindless? i was thinking about how much i need to make one, as i was walking to the bus in the rain and my curls was dying a little more with each step....

leaette

A-List Customer
well, i really took my time. it's almost done. i just have to sew the elastic band on it which i'll most likely do tonight. i had to go to the store today to buy some.

once i figured the pattern out, it went fast. but i don't think this is a bus-ride kind of pattern. you have to count rows. it's not like making a scarf, it's not as mindless as that. but the pattern i'm using has the same stitch thruout. i'm sure if it had bubble stitches or shells, you'd have to think a little more at it.

i've put about 2-3 hrs into my snood. but again....i went really slow because i've never made anything like this before and wanted to take my time.
i'm sure my next one will go much faster.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
leaette said:
well, i really took my time. it's almost done. i just have to sew the elastic band on it which i'll most likely do tonight. i had to go to the store today to buy some.

once i figured the pattern out, it went fast. but i don't think this is a bus-ride kind of pattern. you have to count rows. it's not like making a scarf, it's not as mindless as that. but the pattern i'm using has the same stitch thruout. i'm sure if it had bubble stitches or shells, you'd have to think a little more at it.

i've put about 2-3 hrs into my snood. but again....i went really slow because i've never made anything like this before and wanted to take my time.
i'm sure my next one will go much faster.

aah, thanks for the insight. i won't choose a snood as my mindless stress-relief project! i'll do one next time i have free time and can think. :rolleyes:

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
leaette said:
retrobabydoll: i highly recommend just making your scarves and a bunch of dishcloths before you start on any snoods.
i've been crocheting for years and consider myself somewhat experienced and i just started my first snood last week. for me, it wasn't hard, but there were a few spots where i had to sit and think about what the pattern was saying. and i think if i was a beginner, i would be completely lost.

this website is a big help:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/

http://www.yarnstandards.com/crochet.html

I was hoping to try it out since I usually don't see any snoods that are the color that I'd like. I'll keep working at it though and one day....hoping....I'd like to try out a snood.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
I was hoping to try it out since I usually don't see any snoods that are the color that I'd like. I'll keep working at it though and one day....hoping....I'd like to try out a snood.

yeah, most of the snoods i see for purchase look so cheesy and mass-marketed! i can't wait to make my own.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've taught myself off you tube! Type in crochet or learn to ...double crochet/treble...and it brings up loads of video tutorials.

My tension and style are awful but I don't care, I'm so proud that I have learned something new!

I have a nice snood pattern here from a 1942 Womans Own magazine but I can't figure it out....Happy to post it if anyone's interested? Also got some vintage patterns for little lacy 40s Jabots and collars?
K

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
yeah, most of the snoods i see for purchase look so cheesy and mass-marketed! i can't wait to make my own.

Agreed! Some of the girls should start selling the snoods they make since there's not many great ones out there. I hope to find a really pretty blue one. The search continues.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Here you go, a snood crochet pattern for mercerised thread. But my pal did make it in dbl knit too.
Hope it's ok.

snood.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Here you go, a snood crochet pattern for mercerised thread. But my pal did make it in dbl knit too.
Hope it's ok.

snood.jpg

So nice of you to post the snood pattern.

Wouldn't this be a neat one to make? I never see snoods like this around.
snood.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Curly-Q's!

My first attempt at a double crochet and a pattern. I loved these Curly Q's when I was little and so I am making some for my daughter. She was sooooooooooooo happy.. hee hee!:D

100_4919_00.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy