Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cross pen, Sheaffer ink?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a Cross Townsend fountain pen, and I've been using ink cartridges in it for some time. Yesterday I found my converter, which had been misplaced along with the box. I'd like to use the converter rather than the cartridges, but I don't think I can get Cross ink locally. I could order it over the phone or on-line, of course, but I'd rather not.

Now, I know the various pen manufacturers reccomend that you use only their ink in their pens. This makes sense from a business point of veiw, after all Ford doesn't tell people "Buy our truck! But go ahead and put a Chevy engine in it." But is it practical as well? There's one store in town that sells fountain pen ink, and it's Sheaffer. Would it affect my Cross negatively to use a competitor's ink?

Kindest regards,
Nick

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
I have a Cross Townsend fountain pen, and I've been using ink cartridges in it for some time. Yesterday I found my converter, which had been misplaced along with the box. I'd like to use the converter rather than the cartridges, but I don't think I can get Cross ink locally. I could order it over the phone or on-line, of course, but I'd rather not.

Now, I know the various pen manufacturers reccomend that you use only their ink in their pens. This makes sense from a business point of veiw, after all Ford doesn't tell people "Buy our truck! But go ahead and put a Chevy engine in it." But is it practical as well? There's one store in town that sells fountain pen ink, and it's Sheaffer. Would it affect my Cross negatively to use a competitor's ink?

Kindest regards,
Nick

Nope..in general it will not adversely affect your pen.

In fact the color selection that other ink manufacturers is wider then -most- pen makers. So if you are like me...and want that autumn orange for halloween, you end up using 3rd party ink in -all- your pens.

In general, just monitor the ink and check for signs of clumping, lumping, and wild color changes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner