Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crown Creases (Bashies)?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
So I have been spending more time looking a hats when I watch a movie since I joined the forum. Most of the hat seem to have a center dent. We here seem to really like the the teardrop and its many variations. Looking at my own hats most are center dent too. I have creased most of my open crown hats in a C and V. Some of my hats that came center I changed.

So my question is was or is there a connotation with the type of crease a crown has? Is center dent more formal and the teardrop and others less formal? Do side dents make a hat less formal. Many Homburgs have no side dents? So what's the scoop?

Jeff

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me, it just has to do with crown height. The lower crowns of today make it difficult for me to achieve a proper center dent without the ridge it forms making contact with the top of my head (an odd sensation for me, at least). However, a teardrop allows for a dome which is more spacious for me.

I love the center dent look, but the only hat I've successfully put it on is my 6'' tall western. That may just be due as much to my lack of skill at shaping hats as to my preference in looks.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So I have been spending more time looking a hats when I watch a movie since I joined the forum. Most of the hat seem to have a center dent. We here seem to really like the the teardrop and its many variations. Looking at my own hats most are center dent too. I have creased most of my open crown hats in a C and V. Some of my hats that came center I changed.

So my question is was or is there a connotation with the type of crease a crown has? Is center dent more formal and the teardrop and others less formal? Do side dents make a hat less formal. Many Homburgs have no side dents? So what's the scoop?

Jeff

I think much of it had to do with the accepted styles on a regional/period basis. An example I can personaly relate is my father and other relatives of his age who wore hats as I recall back in the 50s/60s wore thier felts mostly with a center dent/front pinch crease and they were mostly from New England and Quebec, Canada. I adopted this crease as my prefered style because of my experience from their hats. As for the predominantly C-Crown style here, I think that is a case of some of the longer standing members influence due to their personal preferences and many "new" folks here want to "fit in" so adopt it as well. Awell creased hat that fits a persons head looks good no matter what style it is. As to Homburgs, the fact that it is (or has been) considered a more "formal" hat the plain center dent maintains that formality very well and I believe was the first type of crease this style had in it's early days. :)

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I agree with Neo on crown height. All my hats get a teardrop or C or diamond simply because they're the only family of creases that allow the top of my head to avoid contact with the hat even with a 5.5" crown

Chascomm

New in Town
Sadly, as my hair has got thinner, I can no longer wear a centre dent unless my hair has been recently cut. Otherwise a centre dent puts a dent in my hair that looks absurd when I take off my hat. Akubra CEO had to go to the thrift shop, but I guess I was kind of over it already.

There is a related problem with the new fashion tapered short crown with centre dent: there's just not enough material to rebash as a teardrop.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Crown height and shape dictate the "right" bash.

Most of us have tried to torture a shape into a hat that it doesn't "want" and we either learn our lesson and give up or we ruin the hat.

Center dents are fine in hats with a tall, full crown.

Others will only look their best with a tear drop or "C" shape

And others still will look best with a pork-pie

I have made the mistake too many times, trying to make a hat take a shape that it won't support.

Sometimes it is better to let the hat be what it will be and go look for another for that shape we want.

Sam

Crown height and shape dictate the "right" bash.

Most of us have tried to torture a shape into a hat that it doesn't "want" and we either learn our lesson and give up or we ruin the hat.

Center dents are fine in hats with a tall, full crown.

Others will only look their best with a tear drop or "C" shape

And others still will look best with a pork-pie

I have made the mistake too many times, trying to make a hat take a shape that it won't support.

Sometimes it is better to let the hat be what it will be and go look for another for that shape we want.

Sam

I agree with Sam. I actually like the center dents a lot, but most of my vintage hats seem to take the diamond or C crease better. I have some OR's that look good in the center dent, as well as my CD's and Fed IV. Only a few of my vintages do as well with the center dents.
I would think the very high crown styles common in the 30's would be the most appropriate for center dents. Most of my hats are from the 40's or later.

Marshall

One of the Regulars
I definitely like center dents the best, though that deep bash that Bogie has in the Maltese Falcon is pretty interesting. Either way, I only have one fur felt at the moment, and it seems to highly favor a center dent, so that's what I sticking with for now.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think your original question centers around traditional socio-hatical crease-wearing?
The way I currently understand the social connotations of which hat/crease to wear in what situation was largely shaped by a reputable hatter (who I won't name in case I totally end up misrepresenting what he told me).

IF you're concerned about fitting into that structure I understood that the only real formal hats are very dark colored top hats and homburgs, regardless of the bash. I can only infer that pretty much any other fedora is considered casual by comparison. I bet cowboys have their own system. There's a fellow, I think from the UK, on the lounge here, who can tell you what color of what hat to wear on any given day or time.

It's a little difficult to wrap my mind around the concept that anything other than a topper or homburg is casual, but I suppose that could have a very broad definition too.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Lets tweak this a little bit. Back in the glory days of hats did different creases have a different connotation? When I started working for real I was told to loose the tinted glasses since they connotated untrustworthyness. We talk a lot about brim swoop. More swoop more rebel. Is a center dent more city and a teardrop more country? just asking.

Jeff

Lets tweak this a little bit. Back in the glory days of hats did different creases have a different connotation? When I started working for real I was told to loose the tinted glasses since they connotated untrustworthyness. We talk a lot about brim swoop. More swoop more rebel. Is a center dent more city and a teardrop more country? just asking.

Jeff

For sure on the Western frontier, different creases for different parts of the west. Maybe some of our "creasologists" have ideas re: city vs country, etc.

fmw

One Too Many
I'm not sure there are any real rules or even trends. As an example, below is my Dobbs Beechwood. It is a casual hat. Nevertheless, it has a black color and a center dent both of which seem to connote formality or dressiness. However, it has a thin self hat band and a shaggy finish which seem to connote casualness. Take your pick.

beechwood.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn