Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crown Stoves? Looking for Info...

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
We have an old 24-inch, gas, split-level range that we think dates to the 1960's. The brand name on it says "Crown," and on the side there is a little metal tag that says "Custom Built by Crown for Mrs. XXXX."

I've been trying to look up some information on this particular range with no success. I've tried every word combination possible in Googling with "Crown" and "Stove", among other things, and come up with nothing.

In fact, I can't find anything out about the "Crown" brand AT ALL. Zip. Nada. My dad thinks Crown was a department store brand (like Kenmore is exclusive to Sears) but for which chain, he doesn't remember. I've seen some obscure references to a Frigidaire Crown line of appliances, and a Corning Crown line, but even searching under those names nothing really comes up. The only name on my stove says Crown, and that's it.

Would anyone have any suggestions on where else I can look to find out about this seemingly obscure brand? It's driving me batty! :eek:

I'll post a picture of it when I get home.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and because i am answering myself....

Crown Stove Works of Cicero IL was founded by William Rogers and was family owned.

From a Chicago paper:

Rogers, John "Jack" C. of Downers Grove, formerly of River Forest, passed away Saturday, September 8, peacefully at his home after a long courageous battle with cancer. Born September 4th, 1922 in Oak Park, Illinois. He was the son of the late Clarence and Bernadette Rogers,

John was a graduate of Fenwick High School in 1941 and attended both St. Benedict College and the University of Notre Dame, was a proud Veteran of World War II, and the former owner of Crown Stove Works of Cicero.

Sadly...he died -this- last September.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Interesting! The appliances must not be that collectible, for I've only found one photo of a stove from the 50's in my searches. I've found nothing that even remotely resembles my stove. Very frustrating!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Yea...they made a lot of stoves way earlier...10's and 20's or so...

and the company name was listed in a lot of patents and at least one anti-trust anti-monopoly lawsuit document in the 30's....

My guess would be that they probably slowed down as a maker after that lawsuit and so by the 50's they were not a big name anymore, except perhaps locally.

Just because you don't see lots of them...does not mean they are -not- collectable...in fact..sometimes the more rare...the more collectable.

I honestly dont know if they are or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats